U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM

293 posts, read 468,066 times

Advertisements

As many of you know I have been researching the Tampa/Clearwater/ and now Palm Harbor area for neighborhoods that would be good to raise children. And many of you have been extremely helpful but I have been coming across a lot of web sites that talk about how Florida is a cess pool,drug ridden, drifter-conartist type of place that my kids will be corrupted in???!!! Not gonna lie it does scare me a little because a lot of the stories are very similar. Now mind you a lot of these people don't state which part of Florida they are in, and I realize Florida is a very big state so I'm sure there are all waves of life going through. But they basically say never trust ANYONE, that there are child molestors/abductors on every corner looking to take advantage of any child they can get their hands on. Basically saying everyone is a junky and the Dr.'s and police are extremely corrupt. They state that people only go there to die and that once you go there it may seem nice at first but it eventually will make you depressed and is the worst place on earth to live. Now while I get that some peoples situation may be very bad and they don't exactly express any of that but they all seem to say the same thing. And they say our kids will turn into drug addicts because of how the schools are and every one is on drugs. So my question again is why do so many people hate Florida so much? Why are the stories all so similar?? Has any of you raised good respectable kids that weren't corrupted by outside sources?? I would like to hear a lot of positive stories if possible because what I read last night scared the bejeesus out of me lol. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-03-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,927,413 times
That reminds me of that Yogi Berraism:

No one goes to that restaurant anymore because it's always crowded.

If so many people hate Florida, why the population increase? There's got to be something good about the place (no state income tax, beautiful weather especially during winter, fall months), lower cost of living. You have to find your niche in the area. Certain parts of our area (Tampa/STP) are higher in crime, drugs, violence.

But there are communities where you can live safely, enjoy your lifestyle, and find contentment w/ your life.

There is no utopia in the United States as far as I know (I've lived from Hawaii to the furthest parts of the U.S. East Coast and points in between).

Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM

3,111 posts, read 5,401,578 times
You'll find people on this forum that would tell you all of those same horrible things. There are people who had things no work out well for them, often largely due to their own issues, so they have an agenda - Florida sucks for everyone. Others just seem to be professional whiners and malcontents.

It's just a matter of sorting through it all yourself and separating the facts from the nonsense.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 AM

26,788 posts, read 41,453,312 times
The percentage of tenant coming from out of State and breaking their lease is very high.

We are now charging even higher security deposits for people from out of State....most hope to find a job a.s.a.p. or are stating they already have a job on arrival but usually they lease because they can't get a job or loose it pretty soon after arriving and start to blame Florida.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Has any of you raised children here?? I am not so worried about myself or my husband because I grew up in some rough areas up here in Mass so I know how to spot a dirtbag from a mile away, and I can hold my own. But I just don't want my kids to be affected, they say the schools have elementary aged kids with guns, drugs etc. that is CRAZY!!! Now our schools here have their fair share of issues as well but that usually is not until high school so I get that there are problems every where but I just don't want my kids to feel as if in order for them to 'fit in' they will have to be like those types of kids. So I wonder if any of you have kids in the schools or have had kids in this school system and had any problems??

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM

17,119 posts, read 11,332,770 times
I don't hate FL, just hate the weather.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM

282 posts, read 343,754 times
Florida has been slowly going downhill over the past 30 years due to a steady influx of people of marginal, at best, quality.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,015,710 times
I think a lot of people come to Florida thinking that blue skies, a palm tree and being near Disney or the ocean is going to fix their lives.

You read time and time again of folks moving to Fl from " insert any northern state" because they visited so and so place and it was wonderful. Often times those people are unemployed or have only minimum wage skills.

Then they come here, are still unemployed or under employed. They're still living hand to mouth. They're not living in the beautiful house they imaged but some cheapo place. And that nice weather in the winter turns into 6 months of heat and humidity in the warmer months. And food costs just as much, gas is similar, housing is not cheap.

They get disillusioned at what they thought was going to be Shangri-La; they angry that they're no better off, furious that they're still broke and jealous of those people who are making it here. They're jealous of the retirees who chose Florida and are happy here.

Florida schools are not as good as many in the country. Florida does have some supberb public schools but only in certain areas. Many people rely on private schools . Those people who moved here and did not pay attention to the school facts had to put heir children into under performing public schools and are now mad about it.

Many, many people have lovely lives in FL. But they came prepared to live here and came with realistic expectations..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I think a lot of people come to Florida thinking that blue skies, a palm tree and being near Disney or the ocean is going to fix their lives.

You read time and time again of folks moving to Fl from " insert any northern state" because they visited so and so place and it was wonderful. Often times those people are unemployed or have only minimum wage skills.

Then they come here, are still unemployed or under employed. They're still living hand to mouth. They're not living in the beautiful house they imaged but some cheapo place. And that nice weather in the winter turns into 6 months of heat and humidity in the warmer months. And food costs just as much, gas is similar, housing is not cheap.

They get disillusioned at what they thought was going to be Shangri-La; they angry that they're no better off, furious that they're still broke and jealous of those people who are making it here. They're jealous of the retirees who chose Florida and are happy here.

Florida schools are not as good as many in the country. Florida does have some supberb public schools but only in certain areas. Many people rely on private schools . Those people who moved here and did not pay attention to the school facts had to put heir children into under performing public schools and are now mad about it.

Many, many people have lovely lives in FL. But they came prepared to live here and came with realistic expectations..
this post made me smile. I have been doing a lot of research (just ask the people in this forum, i'm sure they're sick of seeing my posts lol) and I really think I am shooting for Palm Harbor area the schools say they are like a 8-9 out of 10 that seems pretty good to me..and my husband made a point to say Florida in size of the state is comparable to almost 5 states along the east coast..you're bound to have all of that in that amount of land...can't be ALL bad...and I do see people that seem VERY happy and successful here...I guess I was more wondering of people with kids to see how they made it in Florida and their experiences with their kids growing up here..??

Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,263,438 times
I have kids.... I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for? Their schools are amazing. They have lots of friends, we live in a very safe neighborhood. They are outside playing right now.

It seems that the biggest issue that people have with Florida is that it isn't like wherever they came from. And, wherever they go, their life follows them. Many people seem to think that changing their location will improve their life somehow. And then they get nostalgic for "home" and maybe don't even remember it correctly. It turns into some sort of perfect place that their current home could never live up to, and they get more and more unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or