U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 PM

119 posts, read 185,895 times

Advertisements

Planning the visit to St. Pete in two weeks. I hope to take her (daughter) to the Sat morning market (she loves shopping), the Pier one night, staying in a place on the beach. Can y'all give me anymore ideas to sweeten the idea of moving? We will be there from Thursday through Monday.

Thanks in advance for the help! p.s. if any of you have a tall, dark and handsome son.....that may help lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,219,917 times
Ft. DeSoto beach. Even though it really is beach weather, you can rent bikes and/or kayak/canoe. Downtown St. Pete is more hip. If she likes art, there is the Savlador Dali museum. Check out to see if anything is happening at Venoy Park. They often have things to do there like art festivals, concerts, etc.

How old is she?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Yes how old is the girl? It will be hard to recommend places.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,183,150 times
I don't know where you're moving from, but assuming she's in high school this would be a tough sell. My husband's parents moved him in his last year of HS to NY and he hated it. He returned to FL after 2 years there.

That said..."shopping" you can find anywhere...what's the difference between a mall up where you are, and one here? none...UNLESS you want to take her to South Florida to Saw Grass Mills...even then though...it would be silly to move here to go shopping...

Go see a sunset somewhere, or better: ask HER what she'd like to do...what is she into? hate to tell you...but your last line would be hard to accomplish...and I will pretend you didn't say that. She's 16.

WHY does she NOT want to come/move? is the question.....we have lots of things to do, beach, theme parks, Circue du Soleil..(in Orlando), 6 Disney Parks, Downtown Disney...TONS of stuff to do in Sarasota....she would LOVE THAT Sunday Market...and their little shops etc. She might like St Armand's better in Sarasota. How long are you staying?

It is chilly by the beach now, the water is cold...FYI...but you can stroll around St Pete Beach...

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM

16,077 posts, read 37,973,106 times
DON'T MOVE!!

That's traumatic for a 16-year-old. You'll take them away from all their friends, during their last two remaining years of High School.

They'll never forgive you. They'll never be able to attend alumni events with all those previous classmates. The new school will think of them as the 'new kid', and they'll never adapt them as real 'alumni' later for that new school.

For god's sakes...as a kid who went through that myself....PLEASE don't do that to a 16-year-old.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-04-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,499,297 times
I just wanted to chime in on moving with a 16 yr old, and in my case, also a 14 yr old. We moved last June, the summer before my daughter's junior year and it has been a very smooth transition. It is never easy, but in this economic climate, it is what it is. Your daughter will be fine once she settles in and meets new people, also, living by the beach is awesome!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM

175 posts, read 313,092 times
Take her to international mall and buy her a lot of stuff.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM

293 posts, read 468,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I don't know where you're moving from, but assuming she's in high school this would be a tough sell. My husband's parents moved him in his last year of HS to NY and he hated it. He returned to FL after 2 years there.

That said..."shopping" you can find anywhere...what's the difference between a mall up where you are, and one here? none...UNLESS you want to take her to South Florida to Saw Grass Mills...even then though...it would be silly to move here to go shopping...

Go see a sunset somewhere, or better: ask HER what she'd like to do...what is she into? hate to tell you...but your last line would be hard to accomplish...and I will pretend you didn't say that. She's 16.

WHY does she NOT want to come/move? is the question.....we have lots of things to do, beach, theme parks, Circue du Soleil..(in Orlando), 6 Disney Parks, Downtown Disney...TONS of stuff to do in Sarasota....she would LOVE THAT Sunday Market...and their little shops etc. She might like St Armand's better in Sarasota. How long are you staying?

It is chilly by the beach now, the water is cold...FYI...but you can stroll around St Pete Beach...
Quote:
I will pretend you didn't say that. She's 16.
Thank you!!! I was thinking the same thing when I read last night!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,183,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
take her to international mall and buy her a lot of stuff.
why?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM

733 posts, read 1,381,792 times
I also say "don't move." My parents wanted to move VERY BADLY when I was in high school, but they were empathetic enough to know that I didn't want to leave all my friends behind and start all over. So what did they do? THEY MOVED, I moved in with my friend and stayed in his basement. I did chores for his mom, so i wasn't freeloading by any means. Plus I got to stay in high school all 4 years at the same place. I was happy, my parents were happy, and they made the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or