Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping this will be a fun thread. I'm wondering what your favorite local food is and why. Could be seafood, an appetizer, dessert, whatever. For instance, being from New England, we have great lobster and clams and haddock is a popular type of fish.

When I visited a friend who lives in Tallahassee, I got to sample grouper and I LOVED it. I also tried catfish (verdict still out on that one, lol) and hush puppies. When I was in Key West, I tried conch fritters (similar to what Rhode Island calls clam cakes...but I like conch fritters much better) and gator which tasted alot like chicken fingers to me.

Anyway, would love to hear what other locals have to say. I consider myself somewhat of a foodie and really enjoy trying local cuisine, including from other cultures.

p.s. how is the pizza down there? I've noticed what's becoming increasingly popular is a wood-fired grilled pizza, the funkier the toppings, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
Stone crab claws, right out of the crab traps and next to my eggs for breakfast. A nice way to start the day!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Snapper, Snook and Spanish Mackeral fresh out of the bay.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM

158 posts, read 227,550 times
does checkers count?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Stone crab claws, right out of the crab traps and next to my eggs for breakfast. A nice way to start the day!
That sounds good. Do you have your own traps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Snapper, Snook and Spanish Mackeral fresh out of the bay.
I have not tried any of these so I definitely look forward to it! I've never heard of Snook.

I record whatever shows air on Florida and there was one - can't remember if it was a cooking or fishing show - but there is a fish native to the area (maybe more southern Florida) that actually tastes like scallops. I wish I could remember the name because I love scallops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
does checkers count?
I looked it up - Checkers is a burger chain right? I don't know if you're being serious or not, lol, but if they make a good burger, I'm up for trying it!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Snapper and Grouper fish, fresh .

Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM

158 posts, read 438,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
That sounds good. Do you have your own traps?

I have not tried any of these so I definitely look forward to it! I've never heard of Snook.

I record whatever shows air on Florida and there was one - can't remember if it was a cooking or fishing show - but there is a fish native to the area (maybe more southern Florida) that actually tastes like scallops. I wish I could remember the name because I love scallops!

I looked it up - Checkers is a burger chain right? I don't know if you're being serious or not, lol, but if they make a good burger, I'm up for trying it!
LOL it is Rally's up north and Checkers areas south. We had Checkers in MD, but Rally's in OH, IN, etc.

I love grouper and Cuban sandwiches. Also the smoked fish spread. So yummy!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
Im not a huge seafood fan but I guess Id say cuban sandwhiches.. There pretty tasty and you can only get them down here from what I have found.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM

158 posts, read 438,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Im not a huge seafood fan but I guess Id say cuban sandwhiches.. There pretty tasty and you can only get them down here from what I have found.

I've had them at Hooters and Jillians in other states, but they are not the same. I made a few for superbowl last night and they turned out great.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Greek salad and a gyro sandwich at Plaka's at the sponge docks in tarpon Springs. By far the best greek food in Pinellas County. The shrimp at Paul's Shrimp house right around the corner are excellent also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay