Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM

294 posts, read 542,738 times

Advertisements

As most of you know we are a small family..my husband, myself, and our 2 young children...also 2 kitties Should we look into renting a single family home, townhome, apartment in a complex?? The apartments look pretty nice from what I can see online but idk how that would be?? We would need something with a garage because he has a work van with a lot of expensive tools for his work so we would want that protected...also def want a pool..I would like to have something where a lot of the maintenance is taken care of by owner/landlord like bug spraying, lawn care etc. Also when living in the apartment complexes what type of people usually live in those, do families with kids live in those? Are they usually decent people or are they usually problematic types?? See up here if you lived in something like those you usually get really 'ghetto' type people that reside there..ones that don't care about much, incl their kids which you will find up at 1 am on school nights, music blasting with parties going on all night on a work/school night, FIGHTS!! S o idk if that is not the case down there because Florida seems to have more of those type of dwellings.. Any opinions on what would sound better for us would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM

hahaha I think people are getting tired of answering my questions lol 'sorry guys' !!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Apartments range from upscale to ghetto, it really depends on your budget. The same goes for houses and townhomes.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I cannot recommend apartments here.
The quality of ppl is low, and paying premium for a tiny box is just not feasible.
Find a house to rent.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
As most of you know we are a small family..my husband, myself, and our 2 young children...also 2 kitties Should we look into renting a single family home, townhome, apartment in a complex?? The apartments look pretty nice from what I can see online but idk how that would be?? We would need something with a garage because he has a work van with a lot of expensive tools for his work so we would want that protected...also def want a pool..I would like to have something where a lot of the maintenance is taken care of by owner/landlord like bug spraying, lawn care etc. Also when living in the apartment complexes what type of people usually live in those, do families with kids live in those? Are they usually decent people or are they usually problematic types?? See up here if you lived in something like those you usually get really 'ghetto' type people that reside there..ones that don't care about much, incl their kids which you will find up at 1 am on school nights, music blasting with parties going on all night on a work/school night, FIGHTS!! S o idk if that is not the case down there because Florida seems to have more of those type of dwellings.. Any opinions on what would sound better for us would be great
Just my honest opinion, after having babies, the condo, town home, sharing walls just did not work out. Having a single family home, again my experience and opinion, 10,000x better.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
Unless you are paying top dollar, most apartments will inevitably attract less desirable neighbors.

Even the nicest, most expensive apartment communities I've lived in have had many problem people.

Sometimes, the newer complexes start off quite nice. They're picky about who they rent to, and strictly enforce rules. But as time goes on, the apartments lose their attractiveness, newer properties are built, and the property managers are forced to compete on rental terms and specials, and low deposits, and easy qualifying etc.

Result: The riff-raff start filling up the place. Plus, apartments have a built-in disadvantage no matters who lives there...."Party or Common Walls". I've never lived in a place you couldn't hear your neighbors to some extent.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks, I figured that would be the case, as it is up here too...but where I saw so many I figured maybe it was different??? I prefer a single family seeing we have that now..makes sense. Does the single family rentals have specific web sites aside of Craigslist that you can look at??

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I figured that would be the case, as it is up here too...but where I saw so many I figured maybe it was different??? I prefer a single family seeing we have that now..makes sense. Does the single family rentals have specific web sites aside of Craigslist that you can look at??
Use a property management company like Sun Cove Realty, Dennis Realty to name a few. I don't trust Craigslist 1 bit. The ONLY trick is to have a starting work date here. That tells them you're serious being over 1200+ miles away...otherwise it will be tricky.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Use a property management company like Sun Cove Realty, Dennis Realty to name a few. I don't trust Craigslist 1 bit. The ONLY trick is to have a starting work date here. That tells them you're serious being over 1200+ miles away...otherwise it will be tricky.
Good tip!! Thank you

Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Good tip!! Thank you
No problem. Rather be safe than sorry.

Also, once you DO find a property, go check it in public records and see if they stopped paying their mortgage. Lots of thief's around here, and too many unclosed loopholes allowing them to steal your money the "legal/lease" way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay