U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,662,990 times

Advertisements

The time has come to do something with the kitchen.
The cabinets are in good shape, but a new top for them would make the place
look so much better, plus I am doing a little remodelling and will need to replace
existing old fashioned laminate top.
I dont want to go top of the range, as we may sell our home in next
couple of years, but I dont want something that will look cheap either.
Does anyone have comments on corian over other manmade solid counters, or
granite? I would like granite, but think its going to be too expensive.
Can anyone recommend a really sensibly priced company that maybe offers
various options and wont take me to the cleaners.?
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,612,974 times
I love the look of granite myself. I used to work for a real estate developer for high-end condominiums and you should see some of the kitchens. One way to save on granite is the color choice. Believe it or not, the more popular the color, the higher the price. If you can somehow work in a less popular color, you can potentially save up to a few dollars per square foot. Also, thickness makes a big difference. Granted, the thicker the slab, the more durable. But if you go with a thinner slab, it cuts down on the price alot.

If you can't afford the granite, you can always spruce things up with a really nice backsplash.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,242,992 times
There are several Man Made Quartz type counter tops available. Basically Corian, but Corian is going to be more expensive due to all the marketing they have done.

Our kitchen came with laminate counters with a stone pattern. It looks fine. It doesn't look cheap, but definitely not high end. The stainless appliances and real wood maple cabinets help. I fyou haven't seen what laminate countertops look like these days, you may want to take a look. You'll probably be surprised.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,833,858 times
honestly, granite now days isnt much more than the others but looks quite a bit nicer.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,446 times
I like recycled glass or concrete.

I love these:
Vetrazzo Recycled Glass Surfaces perfect for kitchen & bathroom countertops, for green building or remodeling | Vetrazzo

You can also find granite remnants, some have larger pieces that will be a lot cheaper.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 1,872,114 times
You don't want Corian for sure! The biggest issue is that it is soft and scars very easily, I would rather have some of the newer laminate than this choice!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM

thanks Algia for the Vetrazzo info, looks nice. Corian, yes GreggT I have heard that, and we may decide to make the house a rental for a while and sell later, and if it is not cared for by the owner, one wonders whether this may be an issue down the road.
I did look at Formica in Lowes FloridaKash and it does look nice, it is actually bewildering the choice, and do you go sink on top or undermount etc etc - my brain is hurting just thinking about it. Backsplash definitely will make a difference too, and I am yet to decide, but will probably go with tile, which really never dates, and keep away from 'trendy' stuff which does.

I rue the day I went for the pickled oak finish on my oak cabinets, as they are in great shape, but I hate the color and it's causing me stress thinking about what color to go. I did wonder if I could revarnish - any ideas?? I looked at that rustoleum cabinet system, but it looks like a lot of hard work, three different coats and processes, but it is a lot less than new cabinets I suppose! LOL thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM

3,111 posts, read 5,409,621 times
I am all about soapstone. I put it in our old house up north and will do the same when we redo the kitchen here. It looks great and is practically indestructible and maintenance-free. It's not cheap, though. We even had a soapstone farmer's sink, and my wife wants the same thing here.

You can pull something off the stovetop or out of the oven and sit it right down on the counter. It won't hurt it. That's probably my favorite feature.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM

861 posts, read 1,120,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
The time has come to do something with the kitchen.
The cabinets are in good shape, but a new top for them would make the place
look so much better, plus I am doing a little remodelling and will need to replace
existing old fashioned laminate top.
I dont want to go top of the range, as we may sell our home in next
couple of years, but I dont want something that will look cheap either.
Does anyone have comments on corian over other manmade solid counters, or
granite? I would like granite, but think its going to be too expensive.
Can anyone recommend a really sensibly priced company that maybe offers
various options and wont take me to the cleaners.?
thanks
Cirian is essetnitlly plastic, bet's burned, cut.. etc/ And it can be as expensive as granite.

A lot of realtors will tell you buyers look for granite. I bought it for another house a few years ago and dreaded buying a dark, shiny piece as it showed dust within five seconds of cleaning.

Price of granite varies from the type of piece you select (rarity and quality). And a lot of the cost is in the manufacture. You can save a bunch my choosing a simple style front edging.

And it depends on the type of home you have.

I have a nice, average home with nice newer white cabinets and a cheapo formica countertop. I'm thiking I'll go with granite again. This time it will be black, but a flat black so I don't feel like I should be cleaning it constantly. I think Home Depot has annual sales around springtime where they give ten or twenty percent off custom order countertops, but then, it may be cheaper to cut them out since they're typically a middleman anyway.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM

hmm thanks another one to look at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay