Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

323 posts, read 684,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Lilies can grow pretty tall/wide well the grassy part..it is kinda funny there is only one shoot but if I were to guess I still think lily..it looks as if it has seen better days so maybe the flower part of it got mangled by something to make it look that way??
It did bloom right before the last cold snap, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. It was very pretty for a couple of days but the last few 47 degree nights didn't do it any favors I'm sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 AM

19 posts, read 53,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Who wants to play guess-the-shrub/flower/tree/etc.? Anyone? I hope so...because I'm totally stumped. We just purchased a property in Clearwater, and the previous owner was a gardening fanatic...but several years ago, as the lawn and surrounding plant-life is seriously overgrown, really pretty nonetheless. The problem is, we're from NW Indiana...and quite frankly, if it isn't a an evergreen, maple, or birch tree...I'm lost. We've got some interesting (to me anyway) stuff on the property and I'd love it if some of you experts could help me identify it. Since it's been unattended for at least a few years, I'm sure most of it doesn't need a ton of attention, but I'd still like to be able to answer someone when they ask "What in the world is that thing?" The internet only gets you so far with searches such as "pink puffy tree," "pinecone shrub" and "spiky trunk." The first one I think I may have identified: Powder Puff tree/bush ? And the second, I am clueless with.

Any ideas? I'll post another one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
The 2nd one is in the lily family but I can;t remember if it is spider lily or not. The first one has the power puff plant but it is not the plant. Contact the Pinellas County Extension service on Ulmerton Rd in Largo, near the beach.and they will tell you everything. They are in partnership with U. of Florida IFAS and that is the best agricultural school anywhere as one of their many great dept's it is the ONLY PUBLIC ELITE university in the nation...good as Harvard and Yale. Their phone number is 727-585-2100 and ask for someone in Botanical. It is open 8-5p.m. M-F, but not all days is someone able to help you as they have a huge facility next door to take care of Florida Botanical Garden 125th St. I think it fronts on.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
Gypsy identified it for you!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
The white Crinum Lily is fragrant, not sure about Queen Emma though. Thought I'd mention it since we can't smell over the internet - haha!

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-08-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Gypsy identified it for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
The white Crinum Lily is fragrant, not sure about Queen Emma though. Thought I'd mention it since we can't smell over the internet - haha!
LOL. I couldn't tell you if it's fragrant or not, I haven't even smelled it myself quite honestly. The powder puffs seem to be, though. I took a few more today, I have to resize and mess with them first, but here's one:
Attached Thumbnails
Florida natives - Need help identifying plant-life on property-pinecone2.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
LOL. I couldn't tell you if it's fragrant or not, I haven't even smelled it myself quite honestly. The powder puffs seem to be, though. I took a few more today, I have to resize and mess with them first, but here's one:
The Queen Emma is only faintly fragrant. I have had the white crinums, and they are EXTREMELY sweet-smelling. Wish I still had some!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Here's two more I'm really glad they're all established, basically left to their own devices for at least a few years, otherwise I'm sure I'd have killed half of them (or more!) off by now...just by ignorance alone lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Florida natives - Need help identifying plant-life on property-33.jpg   Florida natives - Need help identifying plant-life on property-444.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM

436 posts, read 670,799 times
This looks like a variety of coontie. They get about 2 -3 ft. tall. There are male and female plants - visable difference is the size and shape of the "cone". As the female cone matures there are orange seeds exposed. This is a Florida native plant, so very well suited for your garden!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM

436 posts, read 670,799 times
The image to the left is a variety of dracena. There are lots of variations and they are widely available at most nurseries. The image on the right is a Hawaiian Ti Plant - very exotic looking!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
This looks like a variety of coontie. They get about 2 -3 ft. tall. There are male and female plants - visable difference is the size and shape of the "cone". As the female cone matures there are orange seeds exposed. This is a Florida native plant, so very well suited for your garden!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
The image to the left is a variety of dracena. There are lots of variations and they are widely available at most nurseries. The image on the right is a Hawaiian Ti Plant - very exotic looking!
Wow, thanks for the info The coontie must be female, there are orange seeds one one of the cones the picture doesn't show very well. I've had at least a dozen people see that plant and wonder what it is, now I'll be able to tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay