Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Ya, I have often thought of that myself.

One would think there has to be a natural limit at some point.

Dang transplants.......oh wait....

It would just be nice if they'd try to survive on real industry and business and less on people moving to Florida with pensions.. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

It would just be nice if they'd try to survive on real industry and business and less on people moving to Florida with pensions.. Just saying.
Well, to be fair, when you have the natural resources Florida has....it makes sense that tourism would be a higher percentage of the economy than places like Kansas or just about anywhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, when you have the natural resources Florida has....it makes sense that tourism would be a higher percentage of the economy than places like Kansas or just about anywhere.
Yes, but "natural resources" need maintenance too! And with so many pigs moving here & throwing crap everywhere (look at the beaches filled with cigarette butts), something's got to give! I don't see many private companies rushing to maintain any of our natural resources!!!!! All we see is our natural resources being trashed!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yes, but "natural resources" need maintenance too! And with so many pigs moving here & throwing crap everywhere (look at the beaches filled with cigarette butts), something's got to give! I don't see many private companies rushing to maintain any of our natural resources!!!!! All we see is our natural resources being trashed!
What on earth are you talking about now?

BTW, I really don't think it is nice to call europeans who have relocated here "pigs".

Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
What on earth are you talking about now?

BTW, I really don't think it is nice to call europeans who have relocated here "pigs".
Did I say "Americans"?

Pay attention next time u go out....Pigs come from all over the world! If u need proof go to Disney!

Insurance rates are higher for all who buy here, and even higher in high risk areas! Why would anyone expect that the Gov rates be cheaper when "sinkhole" damage is the same for everyone? If u want to itemize the risk based on "just my window broke", the start lobbying both the Gov AND the private insurers.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Did I say "Americans"?

Pay attention next time u go out....Pigs come from all over the world! If u need proof go to Disney!

Insurance rates are higher for all who buy here, and even higher in high risk areas! Why would anyone expect that the Gov rates be cheaper when "sinkhole" damage is the same for everyone? If u want to itemize the risk based on "just my window broke", the start lobbying both the Gov AND the private insurers.
I honestly don't know what the heck you are taking about concerning some sort of trash issue and Disney. I assume it's some sort of rant on something, so I will just leave that alone.

Regarding the insurance rates....I certainly do not think the Gov rates should be cheaper. I don't know where you got that from. I actually think they should triple in price. They are insuring the most risky....therefore those high risk owners should pay more. It is not Jane's fault or responsibility that Joe decided to by a house sitting on a sinkhole, in the middle of a flood plain and dead center in hurricane alley right on the coast.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
A lot of folks here are getting confused between FEMA (Federal) Flood Insurance and Citizens Insurance. FEMA has flood insurance but they also hand out free money to local governments and such when there are major disasters-to rebuild infrastructure such as bridges and roads and schools and government buildings that were affected by a disaster. FEMA doesn't hand out free money to homeowners. If you pay for FEMA flood insurance, they you have a policy. Just like any other home owner insurance.

If your property requires flood insurance, the only coverage option is FEMA flood insurance. there is no private insurer for flood insurance and there are no discussions to add one.

Citizens does not provide flood insurance. It only provides standard insurance and wind insurance. Citizens is not subsidized ...the annual insurance premiums cover the cost of claims as well as the cost of reserves. A non-Citizens customer isn't subsidizing anyone that holds a Citizens policy.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
...However, Citizens is currently grossly underfunded. ...
No, it's not. Gov Scott made this up and repeats it over and over, hoping some fools believe it so he can get his wish and dismantel Citizens. Data analysis of Citizens' reserves/actuarial data has proved him wrong. Google for info, it's out there.

Many of the private insurers are new small "fly by night" companies that just started doing business within the past 5 years or less. Many are based in the Caribbean and are run by people with no insurance experience. Their reserves are low and it is expected that many will fold when a storm hits.

The Sarasota Herald Tribune did a large story about the insurance companies in FL. google to read it. It's very interesting.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Citizens does not provide flood insurance. It only provides standard insurance and wind insurance. Citizens is not subsidized ...the annual insurance premiums cover the cost of claims as well as the cost of reserves. A non-Citizens customer isn't subsidizing anyone that holds a Citizens policy.
Here is where you are wrong. For one, Citizens is GROSSLY underfunded. Should the worst happen, they will have no choice but to use tax payer funds to cover a portion of the losses.

Also, non Citizens customer are in fact subsidizing Citizens directly:
Citizens is subsidized by private insurance holders - Letters to the Editor - MiamiHerald.com
"What it comes down to is that 23 percent of homeowners in Citizens are being subsidized by the other 77 percent who aren’t Citizens’ policyholders."

The American Consumer Institute - » Tallahassee Democrat: Is Florida’s Citizens Insurance Just Welfare for the Rich?
"To protect it from claims, Citizens was granted sovereign power to tax competing insurers, shifting its losses onto Florida consumers who had chosen other insurers. In modern-day serfdom, Florida’s “non-Citizens” insured consumers must handle 100 percent of their own losses, plus pay for Citizens’ shortcomings."

Battle over Citizens' rates is becoming a North v. South feud | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | Tampa Bay Times
"state-subsidized insurer"

So yes, Citizens insurance is indeed subsidized and all homweowners are open to massive charges from Citizens, whether they use them or not.

And YES. It is completely underfunded and this is analysis is supported by BOTH sides of the isle:

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blo...ed-overexposed
"A Florida TaxWatch report says the state's hurricane insurance system is underfunded and overexposed, and needs reform to protect Floridians.

“The current insurance system puts taxpayers on the hook for potentially billions in assessments, while providing little assurance that their claims will be paid in the event of a catastrophic hurricane or series of hurricanes,” said Dominic M. Calabro, Florida TaxWatch president and CEO."

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...IT01/111219577
"Florida's property-insurance crisis can be summed up in two words: Underfunded. Overexposed."

Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Here is where you are wrong. For one, Citizens is GROSSLY underfunded. ...

The articles you quoted are written by the Republican Leaning, Conservative Business Owners(including private insurers) funded "Florida Taxwatch".

Even the article from "The Ledger" newspaper quoted something from TaxWatch.

FL Taxwatch is trying to spin data to favor what they want....to get rid of Citizens insurance and to fool the people into thinking Citizens is in trouble.

There are indepenent agencies that have factual data. Florida Taxwatch isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay