U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM

9 posts, read 12,062 times

Advertisements

Need some "love its or shove its" on Hillsborough schools! Currently living in Seffner, definitely looking to move. Hearing good things about Brooker & Buckhorn Elementarys from locals. I want to go to Fishhawk but DH is going to USF for the next million years and he doesn't want to fight that traffic everyday :/ He's pushing for New Tampa. I would prefer private school but not sure we can afford it right now. Interested in homeschooling. From Louisiana and the (public) school system is pretty terrible there, so I'm fighting a bad taste in my mouth for publics. Help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,594,633 times
Any school with good rating potentially a good choice, but at the end it really depends on your child's teacher. I heard horrible stories about some teachers at A rated schools... Besides, I think that children success depends on the time parents spend helping their kids with homework and all that.

New Tampa should be a good choice. But location is very important. Communiting form Cross Creek (New Tampa) might be more difficult than commuting from Wesley Chapel...

Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 AM

689 posts, read 1,443,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Any school with good rating potentially a good choice, but at the end it really depends on your child's teacher. I heard horrible stories about some teachers at A rated schools... Besides, I think that children success depends on the time parents spend helping their kids with homework and all that.

New Tampa should be a good choice. But location is very important. Communiting form Cross Creek (New Tampa) might be more difficult than commuting from Wesley Chapel...
Hi! I'm very interested in this question, too, as my son will be in elementary school, and that's a big factor in our choice of neighborhoods. I agree with EngGirl, ratings tell a relatively small and sometimes very skewed part of the picture, as they're really based on test scores and completion rates. Both of which can be manipulated. At least that's what happens up here! Parent feedback and looking at whether the school offers what you want will give you a better feel for the school itself. Probably why you posted this question!

My question is this -- what is "New Tampa?" I've seen it in several other posts, but I'm not sure what area it refers to. Oh, and when OP says commute from Fish Hawk to USF is bad, what does that mean? How long would it take?

Thanks!!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,594,633 times
New Tampa is the area around Bruce B Downs Blvd from around Livingston Ave. to approx. County Line (boarder with Pasco County).
Don't know about Fish Hawk to USF commute.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,190 posts, read 4,368,138 times
Fishhawk to USF would be borderline nightmarish depending on the time. With all the construction on I-75 right now it's go gin to be really bad for a long time, I suspect.

There are several different routes one could take, but much of what will dictate the travel time is what time of the day you're doing it.

RM

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,884,712 times
I went to Pinecrest in Lithia as a child in the late 80's/early 90's, I'm sad to see that it's currently rated a 5 of 10 on great schools (especially when 3 of the other 4 within a 5 miles radius are 10's) it was a great school and I'd have no problems with my child(ren) going there.

I love the Fishhawk area though, it's a great part of the Bay Area.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 AM

146 posts, read 207,278 times
Unfortunately I have read that overall florida schools are some of the worst in the country. While that is discouraging, you can go on several websites like greatschools and find out how a particular school is rated. Before moving here I think I was on another website as well which was the state website and it gave data on school performances. On another website for hillsborough county schools you can type in an address and it will say which school district it is in. I moved to New Tampa with schools in mind and I am in the district of Clark elementary which has been highly rated for several years. There are other nearby elementary schools which are much worse. I have looked in to some of the private schools and I don't think the options are that good in New Tampa; I was unimpressed. There aren't many nearby. The price is high and for Kindergarten and first grade I don't think there is that much bang for the buck. I have 3 children and the oldest is going to kindergarten in the fall; imagine private schooling all 3 - the cost would be 30 thousand + per year, which is quite cost prohibitive. Therefore she will be going to Clark. Also maybe somebody else can speak to the school choice thing because there are a lot of magnet and other schools which you can try to get your child in to but I don't know what the chances are of actually getting in. Oh and there are lots of parent comments you can read on the greatschools website, which I found helpful. (We heavily considered Westchase as well because of an excellent school there. Westchase has a lot of younger families and a very nice mall and a great park. Also the mcdonalds has a nice play yard.)
Good luck... it's so hard trying to figure out the best way to give your child the optimum learning environment and education in the formative years!!

Now in terms of New Tampa in general, it's OK... there are a lot of relatively newer houses and good yards here, which is sporadic in other parts of the city, but at the same time it is lacking in a lot of things. Like private schools for example. No good preschools, Few dance academies, no bounce house places, not that many restaurants, not that many good parks, and not that many other amenities. I was just in Carrolwood today and the difference is astounding. Wiregrass is not as good as a real mall though being outside as opposed to inside can be nice at times. And the traffic can be just hideous. Usually you couldn't speed if you wanted to but the cops are everywhere and have frequent speeding stings and speed traps pulling over several cars at once. My husband was even stopped for getting in the wrong lane after making a u turn when there was no one else anywhere around him. I live a very short distance from convenience stores and yet it's still a minimum of 25 minutes to get there and back, and getting in and out is anything but convenient. And the access to downtown is a pain for going to things like the childrens museum and so on. Going to the beach or other fun things in Pinellas requires a long and time consuming drive.
So you have to weigh your pluses and minuses, but overall in choosing this community the schools were my biggest thing followed by having a decent yard for the kids and a newer house with a heated pool. I feel I am sounding like I have a lot of complaints when actually New Tampa is quite a nice place to live in many ways and I understand that it is fairly safe too. I guess I am disappointed by some things that I hadn't anticipated.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,884,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
Unfortunately I have read that overall florida schools are some of the worst in the country. While that is discouraging, you can go on several websites like greatschools and find out how a particular school is rated. Before moving here I think I was on another website as well which was the state website and it gave data on school performances. On another website for hillsborough county schools you can type in an address and it will say which school district it is in. I moved to New Tampa with schools in mind and I am in the district of Clark elementary which has been highly rated for several years. There are other nearby elementary schools which are much worse. I have looked in to some of the private schools and I don't think the options are that good in New Tampa; I was unimpressed. There aren't many nearby. The price is high and for Kindergarten and first grade I don't think there is that much bang for the buck. I have 3 children and the oldest is going to kindergarten in the fall; imagine private schooling all 3 - the cost would be 30 thousand + per year, which is quite cost prohibitive. Therefore she will be going to Clark. Also maybe somebody else can speak to the school choice thing because there are a lot of magnet and other schools which you can try to get your child in to but I don't know what the chances are of actually getting in. Oh and there are lots of parent comments you can read on the greatschools website, which I found helpful. (We heavily considered Westchase as well because of an excellent school there. Westchase has a lot of younger families and a very nice mall and a great park. Also the mcdonalds has a nice play yard.)
Good luck... it's so hard trying to figure out the best way to give your child the optimum learning environment and education in the formative years!!

Now in terms of New Tampa in general, it's OK... there are a lot of relatively newer houses and good yards here, which is sporadic in other parts of the city, but at the same time it is lacking in a lot of things. Like private schools for example. No good preschools, Few dance academies, no bounce house places, not that many restaurants, not that many good parks, and not that many other amenities. I was just in Carrolwood today and the difference is astounding. Wiregrass is not as good as a real mall though being outside as opposed to inside can be nice at times. And the traffic can be just hideous. Usually you couldn't speed if you wanted to but the cops are everywhere and have frequent speeding stings and speed traps pulling over several cars at once. My husband was even stopped for getting in the wrong lane after making a u turn when there was no one else anywhere around him. I live a very short distance from convenience stores and yet it's still a minimum of 25 minutes to get there and back, and getting in and out is anything but convenient. And the access to downtown is a pain for going to things like the childrens museum and so on. Going to the beach or other fun things in Pinellas requires a long and time consuming drive.
So you have to weigh your pluses and minuses, but overall in choosing this community the schools were my biggest thing followed by having a decent yard for the kids and a newer house with a heated pool. I feel I am sounding like I have a lot of complaints when actually New Tampa is quite a nice place to live in many ways and I understand that it is fairly safe too. I guess I am disappointed by some things that I hadn't anticipated.
Pre-2008, you would be right about Florida schools, however the past 2-3 years they've been ranked in the top 10 nationally.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM

689 posts, read 1,443,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
New Tampa is the area around Bruce B Downs Blvd from around Livingston Ave. to approx. County Line (boarder with Pasco County).
Thank you!! I have to say, people on this forum are so nice and helpful. Makes Tampa-St. Pete seem full of friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or