U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM

22 posts, read 18,540 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I've been perusing this site for a while and finally decided to join and post. I'm 30 years old and moved to Melbourne, FL, from Saint Paul, MN, in March '12. My parents live in Palm Bay and I decided to come down here to be closer to family and I just needed a change in general. I'm glad I moved but I don't think Melbourne is the right area for me. I don't drive and I find the bus system here to be sub-par so I feel pretty isolated. I'm used to living in big cities with good public transit so I've been thinking about moving to Tampa.

I'm not familiar at all with the different areas of Tampa (I'm just starting the research process). I'd REALLY appreciate some advice on what areas would best meet my needs. I'm a 30 year old single female. I don't party at all. I'd say the two most important requirements for me would be 1) an area with good public transit, 2) an area with easy access to concerts. I love music and I hear Tampa has a good music scene, which is a huge reason why it's at the top of my list. I'd be looking to rent an apartment with a budget of $600-$800.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM

552 posts, read 642,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGloves View Post
Hi, everyone. I've been perusing this site for a while and finally decided to join and post. I'm 30 years old and moved to Melbourne, FL, from Saint Paul, MN, in March '12. My parents live in Palm Bay and I decided to come down here to be closer to family and I just needed a change in general. I'm glad I moved but I don't think Melbourne is the right area for me. I don't drive and I find the bus system here to be sub-par so I feel pretty isolated. I'm used to living in big cities with good public transit so I've been thinking about moving to Tampa.

I'm not familiar at all with the different areas of Tampa (I'm just starting the research process). I'd REALLY appreciate some advice on what areas would best meet my needs. I'm a 30 year old single female. I don't party at all. I'd say the two most important requirements for me would be 1) an area with good public transit, 2) an area with easy access to concerts. I love music and I hear Tampa has a good music scene, which is a huge reason why it's at the top of my list. I'd be looking to rent an apartment with a budget of $600-$800.

Florida in general has crappy public transportation anywhere you go. I suggest you learn to drive, is there a medical reason or something?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM

I was born with cataracts. Even though I passed the vision test for my permit when I was in high school I am not comfortable enough to learn to drive. Also, I'm used to saving gobs of money by not paying for a car, insurance, gas, etc. If transit is crappy everywhere in FL (which I find sort of hard to believe...I'll have to look into it) then I'll look elsewhere. I work from home so my options are very open.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM

NHborn, after doing more research it does appear public transit in FL is abysmal. Sorry for doubting you!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM

119 posts, read 185,927 times
Default Trolleys

Quote:
NHborn, after doing more research it does appear public transit in FL is abysmal. Sorry for doubting you!
There are some trolley services, depending on where you want to live. They have some that go all the way up and down the beaches, from Pass a grille to Clearwater. I have seen everything you need along Gulf Blvd. Drug stores, Publix, etc. I was told you can take a trolley from the beach into downtown St. Pete. That you may need to fact check but the lady at the hotel shared that with me. So, if you live over that way, travel would be pretty easy I would think.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlsmom2 View Post
There are some trolley services, depending on where you want to live. They have some that go all the way up and down the beaches, from Pass a grille to Clearwater. I have seen everything you need along Gulf Blvd. Drug stores, Publix, etc. I was told you can take a trolley from the beach into downtown St. Pete. That you may need to fact check but the lady at the hotel shared that with me. So, if you live over that way, travel would be pretty easy I would think.
Thanks! Yeah, it would be really nice to be VERY near the necessities like drug stores and grocery stores. I've had to schlep bags of groceries on the bus billions of times and it's not fun. I work from home so it's not like I would have to use public transit every day to commute. I just need it to be good enough to get me out of the house every once in a while. I haven't completely given up hope! I'm rather enjoying this whole research process.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM

552 posts, read 642,414 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, it would be really nice to be VERY near the necessities like drug stores and grocery stores. I've had to schlep bags of groceries on the bus billions of times and it's not fun. I work from home so it's not like I would have to use public transit every day to commute. I just need it to be good enough to get me out of the house every once in a while. I haven't completely given up hope! I'm rather enjoying this whole research process.
I guess if youre used to it its not so bad. Let me put it this way... Id be very uncomfortable if my wife were using the bus to get around by herself. That trolley service posted above sounds pretty good, and its by the beaches so they might be filled with tourists instead of the normal Tampa bus crowd.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
I guess if youre used to it its not so bad. Let me put it this way... Id be very uncomfortable if my wife were using the bus to get around by herself. That trolley service posted above sounds pretty good, and its by the beaches so they might be filled with tourists instead of the normal Tampa bus crowd.
That's good to know. I really need to take a mini-vacation over there and test out the buses to see if I feel safe. My observation over the years: Even though I'm an incredibly quiet person who just minds my own business, reads, and listens to music on the bus, the craziest person on the bus will undoubtedly decide to sit right next to me and talk my ear off.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 185,927 times
Let me say this, I passed the "bus station," or whatever you call it for the public transit service, everyday. I would not under any circumstances get on that thing. The trolley service is totally different and NHborn is correct, a whole different set of clientele riding the trolley. You really do need to go down and spend some time. I wish now I had bothered to get #s off the for rent signs that I saw so I could pass them along.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,187,335 times
Quote:

The public transit in Tampa is a JOKE. Definitely not something you want to rely on. There are a few bus routes around downtown...but there is nothing around downtown except businesses, and some condo buildings, and some hotels....

You cannot live in Florida without driving. Tampa doesn't have a "huge" music scene...Miami might...we get concerts here at the Forum occasionally...but a "huge scene" it is not.

Maybe take a weekend and come and visit...Melbourne is not that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or