Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM

181 posts, read 354,969 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the northwest this Summer and while we are excited about the adventure and having a new backyard to explore there is a lot we will miss about Tampa and FL in general. So for those of you who left or seriously thought about leaving but didn't....what do you or would you miss? Is there anything you recommend doing before going?

For us - moving to a small town on the Idaho/Washington state border we'll miss:

- swimming season from March to November
- sunlight and warm weather of course
-themeparks and the multitude of stuff to do that comes with Tampa/Orlando
-diversity, seems like no one is from the same place around here with many speaking a second language
-possibly miss bucs/rays since we've been fans so long not that we've gone to any games

What we did that stands out
-visit the Everglades, hold an aligator and ride on an airboat
-Islands of Adventure/Disney (of course)
-Parasailing
-Outing on the Gulf on a speedboat, sailboat (the gambling boat and deep sea fishing we should have passed on)
-Manatees (viewing center in Apollo Beach)
-Itchetucknee River Tubing (Gainsville)
- North Anna Maria Island was our favorite Beach
-Road trip to New Orleans, Spoleto Festival in SC, Blue Ridge Parkway, Washington DC, St Augustine (over the past 15 years or so we've tried to explore the south and mid-atlantic and these were our favorite places, fyi places I suggest avoiding - Miami, Jacksonville, Tallahassee (not bad but not interesting), Jackson, Nashville, Morgantown)

Looking for a southeast bucket list so to speak --- I have till July and then we're outa here! Yay (and a little sad too)

Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,574,588 times
skimpy clothes and flip-flops, with sunshine and a bright outlook on life. Plus being tan and feeling you look good for most of the year. Confidence that you look good.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
I miss the fishing

Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM

121 posts, read 216,383 times
When we moved to PA last year we missed about 66 items all together, so this is just my short list:

Flat roads/without holes all over...no traffic/up North-East traffic was awful!
Publix Bread
Disney (of course)
Our kids real weight (without boots/parkas etc)
Being outside (the cold is not what sucks up north, it is a tiny rain that won't stop that's annoying, we like snow, we just didn't get but 4 days of it all winter last year)
Sunshine
Sunsets
Water Views
Countertops....
3 Bathrooms (LOL) Homes up north/east SUCK, They are only pretty on the outside.
...and more...

But mainly that Florida in general is more advanced in mentalities believe it or not, and doesn't live in the 1700's!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,049,855 times
I did move away from Tampa and there are lots of things I miss!

Publix
Boars Head Tavern ham - can't get it anywhere here
Cigar City Brewing
The beaches
Gasparilla and all the other parades
Free poker leagues
Our house
Decent roads
Fox 13 and WFLA
The airport
Needing to wear fewer clothes
And most of all, our great friends we have there

The good news is I'm moving back this weekend!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,137 times
For me:

Being so close to the water/beaches
Cuban food
Publix- but they're expanding where I'm trying to relocate back to.

Unfortunately, that is about it.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM

5,906 posts, read 7,239,221 times
That is a beautiful area, and it will be nice to be close to the mountains, but you'll miss one thing for sure - sunlight.

I did a two year stint in the midwest a few years ago, and the one thing that affected me the most was the lack of almost daily sun. So much so that by January I was pretty much curled up in a fetal position and not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. I would add that I am not a native Floridian, but from the Midwest, so this was something I acquired from living here over a number of years.

I realize it affects different people differently, but I can assure you there is definitely an affliction known as "Seasonal Affective Disorder".

I tried the lights and other approaches, but it did little to help. The only cure was to return to Florida, and I have been just fine ever since.

Good luck with your move.

RM

Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
professional sports events (baseball, pga events, nfl), cultural events like the broadway plays, florida orchestra, then of course the nice winter weather

Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,366,165 times
I moved away 3 years ago. What I miss the most is green in the winter. These bare trees are very depressing to me. I also miss some of the restaurants close to USF that I used to go to for lunch. It's slim pickings where I am now.

I still wear flip flops year around, though I had to adapt by getting some ninja socks. You can take the girl out of Florida, but you can't take the Florida out of the girl....

Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM

173 posts, read 447,042 times
Florida Oranges.
Cane syrup.
Boiled peanuts.
Beaches and water you can swim in.
Wearing shorts to Christmas and New Years.
No state income tax.
Publix.
Sun 365 days per year.
No snow.
Did I mention oranges $5/gallon bucket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay