Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Having lived in an area where 99.9% of the population growth was from within the state, I have found having people come in from out of the area to be far superior. Otherwise you end up with stagnated thinking and a lack of cultural influences. For instance, having people from all over the world here, we end up with all kinds of authentic cultural cuisine. Where I came from all you have is McDonalds and pizza joints. Everyone dressed the same, acted the same and did the exact same thing. No culture, almost no entertainment options, etc. BORING!
Quote:
Being here in the Tampa Bay area, it is obviously far from boring, has all kinds of cultural opportunities and many different ways of thinking....IMO. This is far far better, IMO.
Totally agree - it's a FANTASTIC thing, IMO. For instance, Tampa was a melting pot right from the beginning, with immigrants coming from Spain, Cuba, Italy, Germany and Africa. All these things make the city more unique and vibrant. I love transplants coming from all over, including other countries. Makes for great variety.
"Vibrant" is what I may call Sarasota...NOT Tampa! While I agree that there are a TON of places in the US where McD is the "date night" #1 choice for people, and people have become complacent enough to not care, and having lived in real "vibrant" cities before...I really cannot advertise Tampa as some Vibrant anything; it is still ran by chains on every corner serving the same food under different monikers, and there aren't enough original/unique venues to be able to call it that. Winter park is more Vibrant and it is a small Orlando suburb..........below is a photo of what a "vibrant" city looks like...daily, at all times....see photos below as to what a "vibrant" city looks like...all the time, not just on weekends.

I get the "culture shock" difference when you come from some city that swears by McD, but lets not overrate Tampa! others coming from Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego, etc will be very disappointed...

...and like someone else mentioned earlier: retirees don't move here to open businesses, they are satisfied with cheap change from low end jobs! That is not supportive of Tampa's economy now, or ever. PLUS, Lets not forget that not only RICH retirees move here. Go around and count the trailer parks; there are a lot more trailer parks around Tampa Bay and Florida than million dollar mansions.

It is one thing to grow by numbers....which means nothing...and a WHOLE other to grow in QUALITY! (from jobs, to venues and beyond) Money is not known to buy quality. If a retiree comes here to live on Medicare, and there are plenty of those...that's not helping anyone! Aside from draining the state out of money, which they also don't want to pay back in taxes....so round and round we go without getting anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Tampa Bay growth No. 1 in state of Florida-city-new-york-city-backgrounds-wallpapers.jpg   Tampa Bay growth No. 1 in state of Florida-20111106213246_milan.jpg   Tampa Bay growth No. 1 in state of Florida-images.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
To get good "money" you must give them a nice playground. Shops/ food/ transportation/ education/ activities and recreation...

Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Having lived in an area where 99.9% of the population growth was from within the state, I have found having people come in from out of the area to be far superior. Otherwise you end up with stagnated thinking and a lack of cultural influences. For instance, having people from all over the world here, we end up with all kinds of authentic cultural cuisine. Where I came from all you have is McDonalds and pizza joints. Everyone dressed the same, acted the same and did the exact same thing. No culture, almost no entertainment options, etc. BORING!

Being here in the Tampa Bay area, it is obviously far from boring, has all kinds of cultural opportunities and many different ways of thinking....IMO. This is far far better, IMO.
I've lived in Florida, where 70% of people were born somewhere else.
I've lived in Tennessee, where 66.7% of people born there, stayed there.
I've lived in Louisiana, where 64.4% of people born there, stayed there.
I live in Texas, where 75.8% of people born here, stay here.

Everyone has their opinions about where they like to live. I loved Tennessee because the people were very friendly, the economy was strong, and the cost of living was cheap.

I loved Louisiana because it was similar to what Florida was 25 years ago. Natural and wild, they have a very unique culture and while most jobs pay pretty lousy, if you played your cards right, you could get on with a fishing or oil company and make great money and live a good life.

Texas has been my favorite thus far and proves your theory completely wrong. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the 4th largest. We have people from all over the world, we have the 2nd largest entertainment district outside of New York. Texas has retained 75.8% of the people born in this state. The difference I've noticed between the four states that I've lived in is that people here have a true sense of pride for where they're from.

There is no problem with being diverse and having people from another state or country. It seems like the average is a state retaining about 56% of their residents. The problem is that there is a reason why 70% of Floridians leave a state that is perceived by almost all to be "paradise."

The problems with the state are known. As it's been said before, when your state panders to retirees and tourists, you'll never have a stable business environment, you'll never have world class arts, museums, or rail systems. Why? because the retirees don't want to be taxed! It's what they left behind in their old states. You can't build things like public transit, museums, libraries, ect, ect, without public tax funds and with the numbers of out of state people, especially the 50+ crowd, they don't want to hear it. You can't offer tax cuts or breaks to businesses, ect, ect.

My whole point is that there has to be at least some kind of balance. If Florida was at 70% out of state residents and the 70% of those residents were of working age and needed jobs and wanted entertainment and enrichment venues, than sure! It would work.

Texas retains 75% of its natural born residents. It's one of the leaders in cultural arts and entertainment (despite what some think.) It ranks right up there with Florida in education, the difference is that our economy is not based on tourism or retirees, it's based on industry and business. Our economy is the strongest in the nation and it's done with the highest percentage of in-state born residents.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
To get good "money" you must give them a nice playground. Shops/ food/ transportation/ education/ activities and recreation...
...ok...but how do you expect to pay for it when so many ppl work (and pay taxes) out of really low wages?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I've lived in Florida, where 70% of people were born somewhere else.
I've lived in Tennessee, where 66.7% of people born there, stayed there.
I've lived in Louisiana, where 64.4% of people born there, stayed there.
I live in Texas, where 75.8% of people born here, stay here.

Everyone has their opinions about where they like to live. I loved Tennessee because the people were very friendly, the economy was strong, and the cost of living was cheap.

I loved Louisiana because it was similar to what Florida was 25 years ago. Natural and wild, they have a very unique culture and while most jobs pay pretty lousy, if you played your cards right, you could get on with a fishing or oil company and make great money and live a good life.

Texas has been my favorite thus far and proves your theory completely wrong. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the 4th largest. We have people from all over the world, we have the 2nd largest entertainment district outside of New York. Texas has retained 75.8% of the people born in this state. The difference I've noticed between the four states that I've lived in is that people here have a true sense of pride for where they're from.

There is no problem with being diverse and having people from another state or country. It seems like the average is a state retaining about 56% of their residents. The problem is that there is a reason why 70% of Floridians leave a state that is perceived by almost all to be "paradise."

The problems with the state are known. As it's been said before, when your state panders to retirees and tourists, you'll never have a stable business environment, you'll never have world class arts, museums, or rail systems. Why? because the retirees don't want to be taxed! It's what they left behind in their old states. You can't build things like public transit, museums, libraries, ect, ect, without public tax funds and with the numbers of out of state people, especially the 50+ crowd, they don't want to hear it. You can't offer tax cuts or breaks to businesses, ect, ect.

My whole point is that there has to be at least some kind of balance. If Florida was at 70% out of state residents and the 70% of those residents were of working age and needed jobs and wanted entertainment and enrichment venues, than sure! It would work.

Texas retains 75% of its natural born residents. It's one of the leaders in cultural arts and entertainment (despite what some think.) It ranks right up there with Florida in education, the difference is that our economy is not based on tourism or retirees, it's based on industry and business. Our economy is the strongest in the nation and it's done with the highest percentage of in-state born residents.
Well, you have a state that you say does not support what I posted and I have a state that does....as I lived in it and experience the lack of growth, culture and advancement. So to me it is just a difference of opinion. I have no urge to argue any point over that. "I" prefer this area of Florida and the influx of people is one of the reasons why I do. "I" did not care for where I once lived and the lack of anyone or anything other than what has always been was one of the reasons I did not like it.

There are no stats to prove which is better, as everyone likes different things.

That said, Florida and Texas are my two favorite states......in that order. And I probably like Texas as much as I do because so many people move there.....Austin area to be exact.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Well, you have a state that you say does not support what I posted and I have a state that does....as I lived in it and experience the lack of growth, culture and advancement. So to me it is just a difference of opinion. I have no urge to argue any point over that. "I" prefer this area of Florida and the influx of people is one of the reasons why I do. "I" did not care for where I once lived and the lack of anyone or anything other than what has always been was one of the reasons I did not like it.

There are no stats to prove which is better, as everyone likes different things.

That said, Florida and Texas are my two favorite states......in that order. And I probably like Texas as much as I do because so many people move there.....Austin area to be exact.
I wonder if you'd have preferred to stay in MA if the weather wasn't lousy and the tax man didn't take a lot of your money?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
I wonder if you'd have preferred to stay in MA if the weather wasn't lousy and the tax man didn't take a lot of your money?
No, not at all.....LOL

That is the state I was referring to.....at least in the part of the state where we lived.

I didn't care for the weather, the failed state policies, the idiotic state politics, the heavy handed union tactics, the lack of things to do in our area, the backa$$wards Jerry Springer Gong show types, the horrible job market in our area, the lack of dining options, the lack of shopping options, the horrid schools in our area, the welfare state, the laziness, etc.

That was just to name a few.

We are quite thrilled to be here. We would enjoy parts of Texas as well, just not as much as here.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM

325 posts, read 441,607 times
Quote:
, the backa$$wards Jerry Springer Gong show types, the horrible job market in our area, the lack of dining options, the lack of shopping options, the horrid schools in our area, the welfare state, the laziness, etc.

That was just to name a few.
You are referring to Florida...right?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
We are quite thrilled to be here. We would enjoy parts of Texas as well, just not as much as here.
My intent was not to start a long drawn out debate that seriously derails this thread, lol, however, I have experience with both and both were listed in the extreme opposite of each other in that survey. I've said countless times that I wouldn't think that I'd ever want to live North of Virginia/East of Illinois. I believe that entire area to be a "lost cause" politically.

I'm not sure if this is a side track or not, but I'll ask this question anyway..

Do you think it's healthy for a state to have somehow managed to push 70% of its natural born residents away to other states?

I could understand, being a state like Florida that's located in the South East, with beautiful beaches, tons of outdoor activities, theme parks, perfect weather, ect, ect, pushing out 10-20-30% of its residents, some that want to explore the world, some that want to "make it" in a larger metro like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, ect, ect, and some that want to go to school out of state, but 70%?!

As a guy that's just left a terrible liberal bastion in the North East and thinks that Florida is paradise, what would be your opinion as to why 70% of the states native citizens would hit I-75 North, or I-95 North,or I-10 West, and never look back?

I already have my opinion (which I believe to be at least 90% right) but I'd like to hear someone else come up with an answer and see if it gets bashed all to hell.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM

552 posts, read 720,314 times
Quote:
My intent was not to start a long drawn out debate that seriously derails this thread, lol, however, I have experience with both and both were listed in the extreme opposite of each other in that survey. I've said countless times that I wouldn't think that I'd ever want to live North of Virginia/East of Illinois. I believe that entire area to be a "lost cause" politically.

I'm not sure if this is a side track or not, but I'll ask this question anyway..

Do you think it's healthy for a state to have somehow managed to push 70% of its natural born residents away to other states?

I could understand, being a state like Florida that's located in the South East, with beautiful beaches, tons of outdoor activities, theme parks, perfect weather, ect, ect, pushing out 10-20-30% of its residents, some that want to explore the world, some that want to "make it" in a larger metro like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, ect, ect, and some that want to go to school out of state, but 70%?!

As a guy that's just left a terrible liberal bastion in the North East and thinks that Florida is paradise, what would be your opinion as to why 70% of the states native citizens would hit I-75 North, or I-95 North,or I-10 West, and never look back?

I already have my opinion (which I believe to be at least 90% right) but I'd like to hear someone else come up with an answer and see if it gets bashed all to hell.
I would imagine alot of natives are moving to Georgia, NC, Tennessee ect.. to go live in a more southern state because most of Fla Orlando and south has lost its southerness. Thats my theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay