Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced23 View Post
Good point PP mentioned about my parents being involved with the kids. When we all used to live in S. FL (us in Miami, my parents in Ft. Lauderdale), we'd visit about every other weekend. And DH and I would get to go out (like on a date!) every 1-2 months. Now we go out alone about once a year, usually when we are visiting my parents in Florida from where we live now. They were working then so we didn't see them during the week.
I don't expect my parents to watch the kids for daycare purposes, just visits, and occasionally maybe if school is out and we can't get off work. Or if maybe the kids are sick and we need emergency help caring for them if we can't get off work as well. Our school system here has 40 days off per school year for holidays, not including summer vacation.
I would not consider moving back to Tampa, except we would save about $2,000-3,000 extra per month from mortgage differences and cost of living, combined with advertised jobs in our careers. Also, everytime I visit friends and family there I think, "wow, what a good place this would be to raise a family".
I like living here, but honestly? We only get so much vacation time per year and it's always eaten up to travel to Florida (and we'd prefer to travel to new places but cannot if I want to visit family too). We see the mountains/ocean once every year or so, and the ocean is obviously still in Florida. And, of course my parents aren't getting any younger, nor are we.
If the benefits outweigh the negatives, I can live with the heat, but want to approach it in a logical way and try to find ways to compensate instead of focusing on the negatives of what I don't like about Tampa. It really is a great area and has a lot going for it.
The key then is to focus on all the POSITIVES of the area and the move you would make. If you keep only focusing on not liking the heat you will never be happy. If you can save as much money as you say, you should be able to travel to get out of the heat during the worst months. Live as close to the coast as possible, get a house with a pool, and just get out and do FUN THINGS with your family! You don't focus on the heat so much when you are busy and having fun!

Yes, it gets hot here, we all have to accept that; the worst is from July through September, but even then we get nice thunderstorms to cool things off. I am a native, I gladly put up with those few months because I love the mild temps the rest of the year.

Tampa has it's naysayers here, but then so does just about everywhere. But at the same time there are many thousands of people living here happily, with thousands more wanting to relocate here. It's definitely got things going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 15,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced23 View Post
If the benefits outweigh the negatives, I can live with the heat, but want to approach it in a logical way and try to find ways to compensate instead of focusing on the negatives of what I don't like about Tampa. It really is a great area and has a lot going for it.
Sorry, this should say "... negatives of what I don't like about the weather." Tampa I don't have a problem with. It's typing on a small phone I have a problem with.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Everyone feels the heat differently. My DH loved the heat when at the beach but not at home inside. Gypsy is right if you focus only on the heat then you will not be happy in Tampa.

There is good and bad about every place so you have to look for the good. I use to take a walk every day during the summer at lunch.

My DIL came for a visit in August from Seattle and she had a hard time dealing with the heat. She has never lived any place with the heat and humidity for so long.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
If you decide you would consider moving, I would apply for some jobs first and that may answer the relocation question for you. Those advertised jobs you've seen may have many applicants. Other threads have mentioned that Tampa has a very competitive job market with a lot of educated but underemployed people looking for work.

Of course, Tampa is not the only area having this problem now.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
The hot weather is why I am here.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...he-right-thing

Interesting article....helps explain why people from Tampa aren't the friendliest creatures......

Old 07-04-2017, 09:48 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
2 hot to deal with the heat pete. Stay inside clyde.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
2 hot to deal with the heat pete. Stay inside clyde.
The heat cannot be tolerated!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The heat cannot be tolerated!
I hate it when we are in a reverse west windflow bro. Just sucks the life out of ya.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 AM

23 posts, read 54,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...he-right-thing

Interesting article....helps explain why people from Tampa aren't the friendliest creatures......

I visited Tampa twice in the past few months, and just last week. Coming from the northeast and after visiting Denver, people in the Tampa area were awesome everywhere! It was so nice to be around friendly, happy people. Where are you getting your experience from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay