U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 27,593 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to the Tampa area within the next few weeks and need to rent a house ASAP. I will be working for a company on Rocky Point Drive in Tampa right on Courtney Campbell Causeway (State Road 60). I'm considering 3 places to rent a single family home... either in the Seminole Heights neighborhood of Tampa, Clearwater, or St. Pete. Could anybody please tell me how the commute and traffic is from any of these places to work and vice-versa during rush hour? I need to be at work at 8am and will be leaving at 5pm. I was hoping for less than half an hour commute, but am wondering if this is possible. I'm thinking Clearwater would be a great commute since I would just have to cross the causeway, but maybe I am wrong. Is 275 from St. Pete really bad during rush hour? A person I know who commutes from St. Pete to Tampa said it's not bad.

Also, any advice on the neighborhoods/cities in general that I have listed? I am 24, about to get married, and appreciate a quiet area but like to go out a couple times a night as well. Thanks so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 AM

367 posts, read 1,580,867 times
Moderator cut: realtor ad
It's a nice run across the bridge from Countryside area of Pinellas County
If you don't want wild nightlife, you might consider Pinellas, it's nearer to the beaches and lots of good things to enjoy.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 10-24-2007 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,005,344 times
If you are going to work in Rocky Point the best place to live is Clearwater, as close to Courtney Campbell as posible. There are some townhomes near there called Bayshore Townhomes which would be ideal. Also Safety Harbor would be a good drive to your place of work.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,005,344 times
I checked on their website and it doesn't say there's any for rent , but if you write to the webmaster Rick Jagger he can tell you if there's any for rent. I will try to post the site here, but if I am not allowed just look for Bayshore Townhomes. I used to live there and can tell you it is a very nice place to live.
Bayshore Townhomes

Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! I really appreciate it. Seems like Clearwater might be the place to be. I'm still finding quite a few places in Seminole Heights (just north of downtown Tampa) and was wondering what people could tell me about the area and how far it might take to get to work in the morning and come back at night. Thanks again!!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,551,615 times
Search the forums for seminole heights and you'll find lots of info. I know gypsychic has lived there and doesn't recommend it.
I second ancnie's recommendation for safety harbor or the area of clearwater right by the causeway.

edit to add this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...ove-burbs.html

Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,843,135 times
If you want to live in Tampa, and see alot to rent in Seminole Heights, I would suggest staying west of Florida Avenue, closer to the river. It has alot of charm and character as one of the oldest historic neighborhoods, but there is also alot of transition in the area. Riverside Heights is also a very nice area(the neighborhood just south of Seminole Heights). Leave by 7:30, and you should get to Rocky Point within 30 minutes(its only about 12 miles). Have you considered living on Rocky Point? There are a few very nice Aprtment/Condos/Townehome rentals, and may be good to be close to work, not far from Westshore District, until you find an area you really like. South Tampa would provide you with a great commute AND nightlife you are looking for, in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM

15,964 posts, read 33,757,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
If you want to live in Tampa, and see alot to rent in Seminole Heights, I would suggest staying west of Florida Avenue, closer to the river. It has alot of charm and character as one of the oldest historic neighborhoods, but there is also alot of transition in the area. Riverside Heights is also a very nice area(the neighborhood just south of Seminole Heights). Leave by 7:30, and you should get to Rocky Point within 30 minutes(its only about 12 miles). Have you considered living on Rocky Point? There are a few very nice Aprtment/Condos/Townehome rentals, and may be good to be close to work, not far from Westshore District, until you find an area you really like. South Tampa would provide you with a great commute AND nightlife you are looking for, in my opinion.
I agree with tampaguy - I used to own property in SE Seminole Heights, and this area is VERY transitional - it is too close to too many ghettoes. Definitely stay west of Florida Avenue. And in fact, I would recommend Riverside Heights over Seminole. Very charming, a tad closer for you, and less crime overall.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,457,225 times
Traffic on the CC is bad during rush hour no matter which way you are going. Coming from Riverside heights even some areas of Seminole heights would not be too bad. I like Safety Harbor, small town feeling... not too far from Clearwater or the beaches.

What price range are you looking for?

If you find something post the general area and the good folks here will tell you if it is a good area.

Good Luck.. be sure to look for the dolphins playing in the bay..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks so much again! All of this has been really helpful in letting me narrow down the list.

Can someone please tell me what the boundaries of Riverside Heights are (streets)? I have a good idea of where Seminole Heights is... pretty much south of USF? Good to know to stay west of Florida Ave.

Here are some areas in Tampa I've been looking at:

N 15th St & Hilton Pl (near Nebraska and Sligh)... east of Florida Ave... still a bad neighborhood??

Hillsborough and N 22nd St... east of Florida Ave

Sitka St and N Boulevard... west of Florida Ave

West Spruce St near N Armenia Ave (near 275)

Any help would certainly be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay