Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
My favourite beach is Pass A Grille. Stunning sunsets and views from the Hurricane's rooftop bar. Also, it has an old-school laid back vibe, and doesn't have the high-rise condos or hotels that many of the other Pinellas beaches have.

I took these pics from there a few weeks ago.

Oh. My.

Absolutely beautiful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
Pass A Grille is a very nice beach, but OMG the people are OLD!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM

689 posts, read 1,615,640 times
Quote:
My favourite beach is Pass A Grille. Stunning sunsets and views from the Hurricane's rooftop bar. Also, it has an old-school laid back vibe, and doesn't have the high-rise condos or hotels that many of the other Pinellas beaches have.

Wow, tinalimey, great photos! We've got a lovely rain/snow drizzle today that makes me want to be in FL even more! Thanks for posting these!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:

Following up to this, I watched one episode of "Emeril's Florida" where he showcased some restaurants in and around Florida and one of them was Hurricane's! When he mentioned Pass A Grille, I knew I had just seen these photos and was so excited that I recognized it.

side note - their grouper sandwich looked yummy!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM

134 posts, read 329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Since you are going to be living in Tampa I would recommend these beaches. I personally think that the beaches on the gulf coast are prettier than the east coast beaches. The sand is white and sugar fine where the beaches on the Atlantic don't have the white sand.
Living in St. Augustine, I'll vouch for this. The Gulf is one of the biggest reasons we are moving to the (New) Tampa area. We LOVE the Gulf so much better than the Atlantic and the beaches up here. Up here the sand is very rough and mostly broken up pieces of shell and the waves are awful, not to mention the water is dark. It's the complete opposite of the beaches we've been to down there (Siesta Key, Clearwater, etc) with the powdery sand, light green water, no or gentle waves.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
Pass A Grille is a very nice beach, but OMG the people are OLD!
KMA!

KM wrinkled, gnarly A!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We are so blessed here on the Gulf Coast with SO MANY fabulous beaches, each with their own vibe. Since I haven't lived in Tampa for years and currently in Sarasota/Bradenton, my favorites are.

1. Bradenton/Coquina beach, basically all the beaches on Anna Maria Island. Anna Maria is "old Florida", mostly small scale, lots of older homes, cottages, etc. and lots of waterfront eateries. The sand is snowy white and super fine, and the water is turquoise. There are even some trees here and there. Bradenton Beach also has a lot of funky/tacky colorful shops that I love, and historic Bridge St.

2. Lido Beach. Love Lido for it's cosmopolitan feel and proximity to St. Armand's Circle. Lido has been a favorite of mine for decades.

3. St. Beach/Pass-a-Grille - I don't really go here now since I don't need to, but my favorite in the St. Pete area. Fort DeSoto really great, too.

While Siesta Beach here in Sarasota is beautiful and always on "best beaches" list, I don't care to go there because the crowds are just enormous. It has gotten waaaaay too popular in the last several years. Siesta key is really beautiful though, like driving through a tropical jungle and then you come to the popular beaches. It has a neat "Village" area, small but with restaurants and shops.

I will also mention Indian Rocks. When I was a kid living in Tampa, we would vacation there all the time. It has more of an old Florida feel, not as built up as places like Clearwater Beach, etc.

So when it comes to beaches there is something for everyone here!

I agree with you 100%! I especially love the fishhouse on Anna Maria, close to where Cortez Road (64) comes on to the island. Just beautiful.

:-)

Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,027 times
That is an awesome place! I got there about once a month and hang out and watch the sunset. The bartenders are not great, but the view makes up for it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well if I had to make a list, this is it:
#1.Fort Lauderdale
#2.Miami Beach
#3.Lido Beach
#4.Howard Park
#5.Honeymoon Island
#6.Clearwater/Sand Key Park

agreed! except I'd put Sand key before Honeymoon// I think because its less of a crowd and lost of bathrooms etc. never been to Lido and Howard park sok...just smalllll.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,728 times
My favorite beaches in the area are

1. Caladesi Island State Park (boat access only). I like this because the beach is incredible, and there are no crowds. There is a concession stand on the island that sells food and drinks, including beer. The boat ride is fun because you almost always see dolphins chasing the boat.
2. Honeymoon Island State Park. I like this beach because it is easy to access but you can get away from the crowds. The hiking trail on the island is really interesting, because you can see dozens of ospreys in their nests flying around everywhere. When I go to the beach I always park at the north parking lot... The beach in this area is rocky, but if you walk for a ways the rocks disappear and it gets really nice. The concession stand at Honeymoon Island, the Honeymoon Café, has a fish fry on Fridays that is surprisingly good. We were there last Friday and watched the sun go down over the beach. When I go to Honeymoon Island I usually also love to go to the town of Dunedin and go to the Dunedin Brewery. It is laid back and has a great atmosphere and good beer. Their food is great, too. I love their fish tacos and cheese curds.
3. Egmont Key (boat access only) This place is off the coast of Fort Desoto and is really interesting historically. There are brick paved roads running all over the island, and a couple of forts. I believe this place has history dating back to the Spanish American War (could be wrong about that.) It is cool to go here and see the gopher tortoises running around everywhere.
3. Pass-a-Grille- This is my favorite "city beach." No high rises, and a nice beach café that others have mentioned.
4. Fort Desoto- Would be higher but every time I've been the crowds have been awful... but maybe I don't know where to go.

I am taking the ferry later this week to Anclote Key, off the coast of Tarpon Springs, which I'm excited about. The boat leaves from the sponge docks, so I think combining a trip to Tarpon Springs, eating at a Greek Restaurant there, and going to the island will be fun.

I've heard that Ana Maria Island is really beautiful, too.

Last edited by corvidae; 03-09-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay