U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,341 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (no kids) are thinking of moving to the Tampa area when I retire next year. Our early thoughts are to live a little east of Tampa (would like to be able to access Tampa and Orlando). We'll probably be taking a scouting trip this summer (partly to see how well we'll like the heat), and wanted to check out a few neighborhoods. We'd like to buy a house (approx $200K or less range, so Fish Hawk might be above our price range) once we move down. Any recommended areas to check out when we come down? Not a golfer; our hobbies are more on the collector side. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,148,969 times
Lakeland might fit your needs as well. More house for the dollar over there

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,808,092 times
South of Brandon, check out Valencia Lakes in Wimauma, or Sun City Center. Both places have housing within your price range.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,244,722 times
Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community

No CDD fees but the HOA is a little steep. No golf, but plenty of other stuff. Doesn't hurt to visit.

http://www.glhomes.com/pages-3-day-2...valencia-lakes

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,693,046 times
wouldn't you like to be nearer to the beaches?
Look at Pinellas county also.
SunCity Center is a major retirement place.
Seminole has some nice single family homes for over 55s about 3 mins to beach, close to shops, out of flood zone.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,808,092 times
I recommended a couple of 55+ communities, but I do realize some retirees don't want that, especially if they're going to have younger family members living with them or visiting for any length of time.

That said, I don't think I'd recommend Brandon or Lithia or Fishhawk for a retirement home. However, I do know of retirees who are happy in the Summerfield area of Riverview (South of Brandon)

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,341 times
Thanks to all for the advice. We don't mind the 55+ communities - we tend to like a quieter environment. We're coming down to visit next week for a week, and based on various inputs are going to try visiting a number of areas for stores, restaurants, and maybe some housing. We're keeping an open mind, and going to try to get to Sarasota, Riverview, Sun City Center, Lakeland, Valencia Lakes, Fish Hawk and The Villages. If you know of any specific communities (we're maybe thinking of gated communities in planning for when we get older) or other additional info that might be helpful, we welcome hearing from you!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 AM

673 posts, read 1,115,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argjlg View Post
Thanks to all for the advice. We don't mind the 55+ communities - we tend to like a quieter environment. We're coming down to visit next week for a week, and based on various inputs are going to try visiting a number of areas for stores, restaurants, and maybe some housing. We're keeping an open mind, and going to try to get to Sarasota, Riverview, Sun City Center, Lakeland, Valencia Lakes, Fish Hawk and The Villages. If you know of any specific communities (we're maybe thinking of gated communities in planning for when we get older) or other additional info that might be helpful, we welcome hearing from you!
My wife and I are moving to Mirabay early next year. I am retired also and was looking for a community that we would love. I also looked at Fishhawk but it did not feel like home the way that Mirabay did. There is a Del Webb community just north of Mirabay. My wife and I did not want to live in an over 55 community so we did not look there.

It sounds like you've done a lot of looking on the internet. I did the same and had a binder organized by community. I used a real estate agent to show me around and to help with negotiations. She did an excellent job for me. If you PM me, I'll give you her contact information if you would like some assistance.

Best of luck with your search.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,244,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argjlg View Post
There's a lot to be said for living around people who are retired - there's always someone available to assist you if needed (ie if you need a ride somewhere), there is always someone to go fishing with, go golfing, play pool, play in the pool, go for a walk/run/bike ride, have a discussion with. You get my point.

I find that living in a neighborhood with worker-bees, the place becomes a ghosttown except maybe kids running around during the summer months. Also, sometime the younger workerbees hang out together and not necessarily with someone in the 40s-50s.

Over 55+ have groups, social networking that can keep you as busy as you want to be.....

Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 AM

877 posts, read 1,709,186 times
I'm in The Villages right now visiting my parents and there are a lot of homes in your price range. I think you should definitely check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay