U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,660 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are visiting parents that live in Land 'O Lakes at the end of March. I'd like to hear some recomemdations for the best beaches for swimming and shelling that is an easy day-trip from LoL.

Secondly, I'm considering booking 2 or 3 days at an oceanside resort so that my kids can really enjoy the beach. Any recommendations on resorts with the best beaches and pools and still an easy trip from LoL?

Finally, I'd really like to take my kids out on a fishing charter, half day if possible, and would like some recommendations on preferred charter companies or, at least, what port I should leave from.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Dang... where's the cricket emoticon?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 4,629,763 times
Either the clearwater or St. Pete beach will be your best bet. Both has resorts too.

I will pass the fishing charter stuff to those who know better than I do.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,227,733 times
Any of the beaches really would be good for a day at the beach. My experience, this area isn't the mecca for seashells. Clearwater has some fishing expeditions, though I have never hired one myself, but I have seen people hoping off the boat with some fish. At the Clearwater Pier is a restaurant (Crabby Bills: Home Crabby Bills Seafood), that will clean and cook your catch.

Tripadvisor.com gives good reviews of "Above Average Charters" that is in the same pier. Above Average Charters - Clearwater - Reviews of Above Average Charters - TripAdvisor.

You will probably see dolphins too.

I have heard Trade Winds Hotel in St. Petersburg, is a nice hotel. They have a blow up slide right on the beach for the kids to play on (at an extra charge). TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort (Saint Pete Beach, Florida) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor.

If you end up in St. Petersburg, Tripadvisor recommends "Spanish Sardine Fishing Charter" Spanish Sardine Fishing Charter - St. Petersburg - Reviews of Spanish Sardine Fishing Charter - TripAdvisor. Once you catch it, I don't know what your suppose to do with it. Maybe they can recommend a restaurant that will cook it for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,131,658 times
Also recommend Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs. Can fish in there also, it's just shoreline fishing and maybe along the causeway.

It is close to Land O Lakes and has a very nice quiet beach setting there.

Check out Tarpon Springs and the small shops and places to eat. Has a real nice feel to it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,163,250 times
For Charters..

ActionFishingCharters.com

If you go to Tarpon Springs you can take your kids on a boat and watch them get sponges by using the diving suits. Not for little kids but school age kids might like it.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM

25,618 posts, read 14,331,860 times
Check the rules on what you can fish for and licenses needed for the time period.-- You can buy them at wally world. Don't get in trouble with the wildlife folks...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM

30 posts, read 54,327 times
Back when I lived down there (we're talking 90s - early 00s) I loved Fort de Soto Park for both fishing and swimming (bottom of the Pinellas peninsula) as well as Honeymoon island towards the north end of the county - closer to LOL. Keep in mind when down there I was/is into the most relaxed places and memories of watching the sunset at Honeymoon Is. are some of the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen. That's for day-trips. Not sure about resorts since I treated the beach as a day destination (I live 15min away from the atlantic in NY anyway) but I dug the scene at Anna Maria island. It was kind of the opposite of that high-rise condo deal I can't stand and I had lots of fun. Hope this helps - go there at the right time when the weather isn't TOO hot and it is a magically beautiful place.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

25,618 posts, read 14,331,860 times
Anyone ever fish at the UPPER TAMPA BAY park off Hillsborough? time for me n grandson to hook up lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay