Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM

451 posts, read 933,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
BTW - I don't belong to either party. I think both parties are full of crap and party loyalty is for those who cannot think for themselves. I really like the mayor of Tampa AND the governor of Florida. I vote both sides of the political fence. I couldn't care less what letter they have next to their name.
I'm sure there are plenty of political forums which would find this riveting.

Now, back to OP's question: "are there bad seeds from that subgroup in South Tampa?"

right answer: nope, not really.

wrong answer: let's make this a discussion about personal politics, bonus points for those who chime in who don't live in the area the OP is asking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
My sister in law lives in Beach Park, South Tampa, surrounded by million dollar mansions and doctors and CEOs, who many people will assume are GOP backers, but who knows?

She is a no makeup-wearing, rainbow flag waving lesbian, 20 years with her partner, socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Voted for McCain, then Obama this last time. Loves Sarah Palin and loves Eddie vedder. As you can see, there is no freaking way to put her in a box as conservative or liberal. She is a big mix, as are most of us, whether in South Tampa, Florida or the USA as a whole.

I can tell you, however, that she fell in love with South Tampa bc of its central location, beauty and property resale value.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Please stay on topic which is about S. Tampa. If you want to discuss politics we have a forum for that

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Just to quell ambiguity, "South Tampa" roughly means the peninsula south of Kennedy, north of Gandy, and Davis/Harbour Islands, and sometimes Downtown and Channelside. Based on the content of the area (prevalent nightlife, diverse collection of bistros, etc), I was very surprised to learn that nearly every precinct voted a Republican ticket. There was a piece in the Times I believe featuring an interactive map showing the election results of every precinct in the city, and greater South Tampa stood out like a sore red thumb. Even New Tampa, which "feels" conservative due to he big box environment and high number of churches, revealed mostly blue (Democratic voting) precincts. So, my question is basically the title: Is South Tampa socially conservative? Preferably geared toward people who live there, is there notable racism, sexism, high religiosity, etc? I have long known about the area's somewhat undeserved rep for being insular and snobby, but it never struck me as socially conservative.
The area is pretty solid red, not entirely sure why. I remember my middle school daughter told me that she got a lot of grief for being one of the few students openly supporting Obama in the mock elections they did. In my block there were 2 Obama yard signs to pretty much every other house that had a Romney sign. All my neighbors that I gotten to know are not socially conservative, but they do subscribe to the myth of the welfare queen and other class warfare propaganda

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
Just to quell ambiguity, "South Tampa" roughly means the peninsula south of Kennedy, north of Gandy, and Davis/Harbour Islands, and sometimes Downtown and Channelside. Based on the content of the area (prevalent nightlife, diverse collection of bistros, etc), I was very surprised to learn that nearly every precinct voted a Republican ticket. There was a piece in the Times I believe featuring an interactive map showing the election results of every precinct in the city, and greater South Tampa stood out like a sore red thumb. Even New Tampa, which "feels" conservative due to he big box environment and high number of churches, revealed mostly blue (Democratic voting) precincts. So, my question is basically the title: Is South Tampa socially conservative? Preferably geared toward people who live there, is there notable racism, sexism, high religiosity, etc? I have long known about the area's somewhat undeserved rep for being insular and snobby, but it never struck me as socially conservative.
Well think about who resides in South Tampa! The 1%-ers...you don't see Walmart employees living in those mansions do you? ST's residents are those "Republicans" cough..."conservatives"...stuck in Slavery times! Those who think they can abuse and extort under the "capitalism" logo all those ppl who don't stand up to them. Simple as that. Those who oppose abortion, and then those who have no problem yelling to stop welfare services and point at the 47 million!!!!!!! (contradicting themselves)...South Tampa is Hypocrisy Central IMO. Residents there are those who love to continue the class warfare, and by paying shameful wages, are basically continuing a "modern" form of slavery if you consider what can you buy out of $8 bucks an hour. (Walmart's profits are so huge, they can easily afford to pay their employees livable wages, but instead, they choose not too, and then have the nerve to complain that there are too many on welfare?!...not to mention corrupt the Gov to cut even more welfare programs!) Look at who resides there...Corrupt CIA Chief!

Residents there are split in two: so called "conservatives", and "plastic surgery addicts"!
I try really hard to stay away from South Tampa, and unfortunately my job has me down there quite a bit...so...yeah, it is a place I would never live if you paid me in gold!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 AM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
Quote:
Is South Tampa socially conservative? Preferably geared toward people who live there, is there notable racism, sexism, high religiosity, etc? I have long known about the area's somewhat undeserved rep for being insular and snobby, but it never struck me as socially conservative.
I would say that it's fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I have never experienced or heard of anything remotely racist or sexist, and I find the area as being secular (aside from families that attend church more for the values than the religion). I live in Hyde Park and conduct most of my acitivities in the area, so I have a good perception and wouldn't say that the area is socially conservative. Of course, the expensive houses tend to be conservative and Republican, but that's mostly because of their ages and their interests. There is a large percentage young people in the area but their votes may be overshadowed by the older people that swing conservative.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 AM

9 posts, read 12,781 times
In the 2008 general election, while the vast majority of Hillsborough County precincts voted for Amendment 2 (gay marriage ban), there were a many precincts across South Tampa that voted against it. Nearly all of the precincts in Hillsborough won by Obama voted for the gay marriage ban. But South Tampa generally goes red when voting for candidates. So, I don't think you could call this area socially conservative. But that was four years ago, probably a great deal more of the county would vote against the gay marriage ban if it were put up to voters again.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,555 times
South Tampa is socially liberal. Hyde Park was a crap hole till the gays moved in and turned it around about 25 yrs ago. Most of the area is what it is, thanks to the homosexual community. Though the demographics of people that live there is mostly white,(liberals gasping with horror), its very diverse as far as people coming into the area to enjoy themselves. I used to live across from MacDintons. I would see every demographic walk through there.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
I would say that it's fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I have never experienced or heard of anything remotely racist or sexist, and I find the area as being secular (aside from families that attend church more for the values than the religion). I live in Hyde Park and conduct most of my acitivities in the area, so I have a good perception and wouldn't say that the area is socially conservative. Of course, the expensive houses tend to be conservative and Republican, but that's mostly because of their ages and their interests. There is a large percentage young people in the area but their votes may be overshadowed by the older people that swing conservative.
I am always puzzled by the phrase "fiscally conservative", what does that mean?, If by that you mean people in S Tampa would like to pay less taxes, then yes we are "fiscally conservative", but so is everyone else. In my experience as a S tampa resident, i have yet to meet someone who was openly against gay marriage, or abortion (not as a personal choice) but statistics say otherwise.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well think about who resides in South Tampa! The 1%-ers...you don't see Walmart employees living in those mansions do you? ST's residents are those "Republicans" cough..."conservatives"...stuck in Slavery times! Those who think they can abuse and extort under the "capitalism" logo all those ppl who don't stand up to them. Simple as that. Those who oppose abortion, and then those who have no problem yelling to stop welfare services and point at the 47 million!!!!!!! (contradicting themselves)...South Tampa is Hypocrisy Central IMO. Residents there are those who love to continue the class warfare, and by paying shameful wages, are basically continuing a "modern" form of slavery if you consider what can you buy out of $8 bucks an hour. (Walmart's profits are so huge, they can easily afford to pay their employees livable wages, but instead, they choose not too, and then have the nerve to complain that there are too many on welfare?!...not to mention corrupt the Gov to cut even more welfare programs!) Look at who resides there...Corrupt CIA Chief!

Residents there are split in two: so called "conservatives", and "plastic surgery addicts"!
I try really hard to stay away from South Tampa, and unfortunately my job has me down there quite a bit...so...yeah, it is a place I would never live if you paid me in gold!
As a liberal living in South Tampa who has not had plastic surgery and does not own slaves, I can humbly suggest that everyone ignore the generalized nonsense the above poster "shared" about South Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay