U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM

673 posts, read 1,104,346 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to retire in the Tampa area. I will be taking a house hunting trip at the end of March and will be visiting Waterset in Apollo Beach. We want to live within 25 miles of downtown Tampa and currently favor the area south of Tampa along Tampa Bay.

I would be interested in any feedback from those who live in Waterset or nearby. And, I realize there are some good builders in Waterset. I'd be interested in which builder(s) you recommend and why.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 03-06-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,654 times
I have visited Waterset about 5 times in the last 30 days. I visited all of the model homes that are currently constructed there and was most impressed with the David Weekley and WestBay homes. My favorite was the Longboat model by WestBay! The design is amazing and the floor plan is nice and open. The only thing I did not care for was the vicinity of the electric plant to the development and the smoke stacks from the plant being visible upon entry into Waterset and being within a mile of the railroad track. I also didnt care for the super modern design of the community center that they've built in the neighborhood. It just doesnt look or feel "residential" to me. Anyhow, those are my personal opinions and only negatives on the neighborhood. The surrounding areas are a bit of a mix of residential and commercial. The High School and Middle School for Riverview are across the street from Waterset but there is a short drive down Big Bend Rd to the nearest grocery and dining, which are pretty limited currently. Riverview, which is adjacent to Apollo Beach has a lot of development going on currently. A hospital (St. Joseph's) is being built about 3 miles from Waterset. There are huge plans for the land directly adjacent to Waterset. There is supposed to be a mall (Southshore Commons) built there but the project has been on hold for years due to the economy. According to the website, the mall is slated to open Spring 2015 and if you like shopping and dining within walking distance, then Waterset may be even more appealing. Overall, I really like Waterset sans the 2 eyesores mentioned. Happy Decision making!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Thank you!! I remember hearing about the plant byt had forgotten. I'll let everyone know what my impressions are. I like the Weekley plans too.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,127,534 times
I can't say anything negative about David Weekly or WestBay homes either. If Waterset isn't what you are looking for, just up the road a short distance is Panther Trace. I really like the look and feel of this. But since you are retiring vice having an active social life for your school age kids, even FishHawk Ranch may be something that interests you.

If you decide to search further up on the Northern end of Tampa there are other recommendations I could toss in.

Please keep us posted in here on what you find. It is great to get fresh perspectives of what people find when they come here.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I can't say anything negative about David Weekly or WestBay homes either. If Waterset isn't what you are looking for, just up the road a short distance is Panther Trace. I really like the look and feel of this. But since you are retiring vice having an active social life for your school age kids, even FishHawk Ranch may be something that interests you.

If you decide to search further up on the Northern end of Tampa there are other recommendations I could toss in.

Please keep us posted in here on what you find. It is great to get fresh perspectives of what people find when they come here.
Thanks very much. I am at the point where I need to see and "feel" several communities. The internet is great but I am worn out looking at pictures and plans.

I would enjoy your perspective on the northern end of Tampa. At this point my wife favors being near the bay and the south looked like a better fit.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 47,591 times
All four builders in Waterset are very good, and Newland Communities is one of the best residential developers anywhere. Part of the decision will be made by your criteria, such as home size, lot width and/or price range. One builder in particular that I like is Cardel homes, they are a family business, that has been building for 40 years. One thing in particular that I like is they do not use any bi-folding doors, only swing doors, which clearly give a more custom quality feel, and durability. They also use wider, more detailed base board and door casing moldings. I also like that they are using natural gas, tank less water heaters. I am partial to most of their home designs, and appreciate that they have their own designers, who help them be able to offer customization at very reasonable cost, sometimes at no additional charge. The home plans are for today's lifestyles and very prudent, unlike some homes which are being built oversized for no reason at all. If you detail more specifically, what is important to you in a home builder or a new home, I may be able to comment further.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachREGuy View Post
All four builders in Waterset are very good, and Newland Communities is one of the best residential developers anywhere. Part of the decision will be made by your criteria, such as home size, lot width and/or price range. One builder in particular that I like is Cardel homes, they are a family business, that has been building for 40 years. One thing in particular that I like is they do not use any bi-folding doors, only swing doors, which clearly give a more custom quality feel, and durability. They also use wider, more detailed base board and door casing moldings. I also like that they are using natural gas, tank less water heaters. I am partial to most of their home designs, and appreciate that they have their own designers, who help them be able to offer customization at very reasonable cost, sometimes at no additional charge. The home plans are for today's lifestyles and very prudent, unlike some homes which are being built oversized for no reason at all. If you detail more specifically, what is important to you in a home builder or a new home, I may be able to comment further.
I like the builders you mention. Thanks for the tips re Cardel. I will be seeing Waterset on the 30th or 31st.

We do have the following criteria, which are not listed in order of preference:

· 3 br (or 4 br); 2 bath or 2.5 bath
· 3 car garage - must be large - current one is almost 900 sq ft – 3 doors; not tandem
· stucco or all brick preferred over siding
· ranch – single level only
· Prefer a new or relatively new house
· enclosed lanai/sunroom
· energy efficient
· tile shingles (are they something to look for?)
· in a neighborhood of comparable homes
· hoa ok but do not want overly high fees (currently pay $540.00 per year)
· cul de sac or side street; not a main street
· CDD - minimal if it is included
· no pool at house; pool ok in subdivision
· 2500 sq ft +/-
· Would like to be within a 25 mile radius of downtown Tampa
· Not too far inland and yet not right on the Gulf
· County water and sewer; no well/septic
· 250 – 300K; will consider more for the right house
· Conservation lot would be a good feature but not mandatory
· Hardwood and tile floors; want to avoid carpet
· Laundry room should have a sink and be located near garage (prefer next to garage entrance door)

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 03-07-2013 at 02:25 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM

5,686 posts, read 5,704,866 times
I haven't been to Waterset yet, but I was at Mirabay the other day, which is also a Newland community, and I have to agree with Apollo Beach guy on the quality of the Cardel homes. Tankless water heaters are a huge plus, IMO. MiraBay itself is on the water, but many of the homes are away from the water. Also, depending on the location in the community, the Tampa Electric plant is out of sight.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I haven't been to Waterset yet, but I was at Mirabay the other day, which is also a Newland community, and I have to agree with Apollo Beach guy on the quality of the Cardel homes. Tankless water heaters are a huge plus, IMO. MiraBay itself is on the water, but many of the homes are away from the water. Also, depending on the location in the community, the Tampa Electric plant is out of sight.
Is Mirabay in Apollo Beach? I see a Mirabay in Clearwater and Mira Bay in Apollo Beach.

Never mind. I was wrong about Clearwater. I'm looking at the website now.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM

5,686 posts, read 5,704,866 times
Sorry, yes, Mira Bay is in Apollo Beach. Definitely worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay