Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 17,364 times

Advertisements

I lived in South Florida (Ft. Laud) for 15years before moving to Seattle. I've been in WA for 2yrs and love it but I'm really starting to miss a few things. Don't get me wrong, Seattle's definitely a great fit for me. Beautiful mountains, liberal mindset, strong arts/theater/music, a very noticeable "cerebral" community, close to CA and Hawaii, great sushi,dim sum and various other ethnic restaurants to choose from. I love it here but it's too cold and rainy! The winter lasts for an average of 8 months out of the year! I'm Jamaican and after living in Florida for so long it's been an interesting transition to Seattle weather.

I recently married and we're trying to decide on a place to settle. There a quite a few factors to consider. First off, we're an interracial couple so I'd want to be in an area I felt comfortable. I really noticed the difference between the South Florida and Seattle communities. Very liberal and open-minded here in the NW. It's very sad that even though South Florida is such a melting pot, there's still such ignorance towards other cultures.

I don't know if I can deal with the humidity and hurricanes again and that's why I was looking at the Tampa area. I'd appreciate any insight on what's it's like to live in Tampa. Info on the different communities, political mindset of Tampa (conservative/liberal), crime, nightlife, arts/theater, major hospitals that are in good areas (in the medical field), availability of good restaurants and ethnic cuisines (sushi, thai, indian etc). Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 01:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
I don't know if I can deal with the humidity and hurricanes again and that's why I was looking at the Tampa area. I'd appreciate any insight on what's it's like to live in Tampa. Info on the different communities, political mindset of Tampa (conservative/liberal), crime, nightlife, arts/theater, major hospitals that are in good areas (in the medical field), availability of good restaurants and ethnic cuisines (sushi, thai, indian etc). Thanks so much!

Just an FYI..HUmidity and Hurricanes are just as much a part of life in Tampa as is in South Florida, although more Cold Fronts do tend to make it down through Tampa bringing cooler, drier air in the winter months(Nov-Mar).
I live in South Tampa and find it midway between liberal/conservative, 90% of my friends are socially liberal, and monetarily conservative. 19 years in the area and have never been victim to or know someone personally who has been victim to crime(but just watch the news or read the papers, it's here).. i think if your smart, and know your surroundings, and know who you kleep company with, you should be ok.
Nightlife is excellent, its no NYC, Chicago or LA, but for a small city, it nice to have places like Historic Ybor City, Channelside, and SOHO/Hyde Park districts for great nightlife and restaurants of any cuisine(Cuban, Greek, Italian, Sushi, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, etc.)
Tampa boasts the southeasts largest performing arts center, which was 4th in the country for total seats sold for broadway and local theater in the country for 2006. Many smaller local theater programs also exist in Tampa Bay(Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota) so its nice to have the arts and cultural areas not just in Tampa, but in the surrounding cities as well. Lots of musuems(Art, History, International, Childrens, Holocaust, Dali, Science and Industry) just to name a few...every weekend you can find gallery walks in all areas of the Tampa Bay area.
As far as the medical field, there is Tampa General which is one of the largest, and is a teaching facility for University of South Florida, which has an excellent Medical School. Bayfront, University Community, Town n Country, Brandon Regional, Morton Plant, H Lee Moffit Cancer Center...many medical opportunities.
Just my opinion of Tampa, im a native New Yorker, and still love to travel to other cities(thank goodness for Tampas world renowned airport, VERY convenient and mostly non-stops to most major cities), but enjoy calling Tampa home.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,364 times
Thumbs up Re:

Wow,thank you Tampaguy03 for your insight! You make Tampa sound very appealing!

Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 16,878 times
Default moving to tampa

I will be moving to Tampa to work at USF. Where are the best places to live (low crime, reasonable commute, etc). Where is it difficult to obtain flood insurance? Thanks for your help. Eileen

Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
If you are working at USF, there are some great areas within a few miles of Campus - Tampa Palms and New Tampa, both areas are reletively very new(built within the past 15 years, New Tampa is still building), you will not need Flood insurance in those parts.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 16,878 times
Default Moving to Tampa from Pa

I will be accepting a teaching position at the USF and want to know where the best places are to buy a home. My husband and I have grown children so school districts aren't important. However, neither of us like living in neighborhoods where every house looks the same and there appears to be little privacy. We also want to live in an area where we can buy flood insurance and avoid CDD costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay