Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,652 times

Advertisements

My wife (24) and I (27) are looking to move down here from MD. We live in the Baltimore area. We are honestly just fed up with the weather, and the way the City seems to be going downhill! We are looking to rent 1st for a year before looking to buy a house. We have done a lot of reading here on the forums and see a lot of posts about the crimes being bad and frequent down here. Like I said we are from Baltimore, top 3 in the highest crime rates in the nation! When you are describing crime, are you being a bit dramatic!? I mean there is no way it can be that bad compared to other cities. Every city (now talking mainly about Tampa) has their ups and downs, but I feel everything is being a bit over dramatized here on the forums. Anyways I am not here to argue and am here for some information specific for us!

We will be looking to spend up to $1000-1100 a month for an apartment/condo/house and would appreciate the best places to look to rent. We are not huge into the "party scene" however we do like going to casual places to have a drink and meet new people/make friends. We loveeeeeeeee the beach and will spend a lot of time there so being close would be nice.

We will be visiting the area very soon and are looking to basically just explore for a week. As many areas as possible as well as checking out apartments that we could possibly be looking to move into. Are there "known bad areas" with section 8 housing, "ghetto, thug related" areas to avoid? Places tourists would have no business going so to speak? Also gives us a good idea of where to avoid when looking for places to live.

I will leave it at this for now but will post if I can think of anything else!

Thanks for all the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,173,132 times
Where will you be working?

All those places (and more) that you have in your title have great places to live/rent. But your commute would be different depending where you live. If you are like those who say "since I drive now an hour in DC/MD commute is no problem", my answer is why would you want to spend chunck of your "life" in the road when you could do some other things by living close to where you work. The average driver in Tampa Bay are travels about 15miles or 30minute. If I were you I would shoot for that kind of distance from work.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Where will you be working?

All those places (and more) that you have in your title have great places to live/rent. But your commute would be different depending where you live. If you are like those who say "since I drive now an hour in DC/MD commute is no problem", my answer is why would you want to spend chunck of your "life" in the road when you could do some other things by living close to where you work. The average driver in Tampa Bay are travels about 15miles or 30minute. If I were you I would shoot for that kind of distance from work.
Thanks for the response. The wife might possibly be working in either Palm Harbor or St. Petes. These are not just "transfer" type jobs so we wouldn't be positive as into where. That is why we are keeping our search broad for now and narrow it down. The commute she has now is 35-60 minutes depending on traffic and she is not a fan! My commute is a 2 minute bike ride to work at the moment and I love it! So hopefully we can get something close because who doesn't wanna be minutes away from home after leaving work!

Any specific places you could mention out of experience or knowledge that are better to rent in as far as prices and stuff to do relating to the 1st post? We really would love to not even bother with Tampa/east side of the skyway bridge. We are trying to stay as close to the water as possible!

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,743 times
I'm not sure $1000 per month will get you a whole lot in the areas you are wanting to rent unless you are willing to rent in a not-so-great area.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 PM

35,300 posts, read 20,671,984 times
$1000 is fine, brand new apts just small. Westhore area Tampa, countryside area, Clearwater, Oldsmar, st Pete near the Gandy bridge, near Vinnoy park St Pete, lots of cool places for that kind of money. might even land a nice condo by the beach for 1000,,, but only warning- commute is aful,

Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the great info tiny. Floridagirls post was a bit discouraging! I was going to say we have been looking around and have found some apartments that look really nice within the range just not sure about the areas! Maybe I will link some of the apartments we have looked at to get opinions that way!

Thanks again for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay