Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone this is my first post and the main reason for joining the site. I am moving to the Tampa Bay area in September and have a few questions.

1. What neighborhoods would you recommend?
I realize this is a vague question so I will try and help you narrow it down, our first priority is quality of the neighborhood, location relative to any certain spot is not crucial. Just that it is a nicer neighborhood with crime not soaring through the roof. We are open to not living directly in Tampa; Clearwater, St. Petersburg, and Brandon are all still options to us, although the closer to the city the better.

2. What apartment complexes (if you know any) would you recommend?
Our budget is $850, I know it's low but only one of us have a job at first; after the lease is up and we know the area better we will upgrade. We aren't looking for a luxurious condo or anything just a decent apartment that is clean and the management does not try to ********* over.

3. This question is less important than the others but what low budget recreation is available.
For the first 5-10 months we will be living on a somewhat small budget as we handle the expenses of our move. What things would you guys recommend for a couple in their mid-20's to do in the area while trying to pinch pennies.

I greatly appreciate any answers to these questions as they will make the transition much easier. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,301,168 times
First of all, you should give some idea about how much space you want - number of bedrooms and square feet.

Second, when you say "closer to the city", do you have a preference of Tampa or St. Pete? Work location and commute are obviously a major factor.

There is no place in Tampa Bay where crime is through the roof. The worst parts are St. Pete south of the city and Tampa between I-4, I-75, I-275 up to about USF, but those areas are not like south Chicago where the police are literally afraid to drive through alone.

You have tons of options at your budget. You can live almost anywhere at that price, even Hyde Park in South Tampa. BUT the more space you want the more you will be pushed away from the best areas.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,147 times
Thanks roadtrip, I'll be a little more specific to help out other posters.

We want a 2 bedroom, square footage is not important just that there is a second bedroom for family that visits. I really like the Hyde Park area I just feel like I would have to pay close to $1000 a month to get an apartment there and we won't be able to afford that at first.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,045 times
My opinion is that if that is all you can afford, then find the closest place to your work. The gas bill alone can throw all your budget off to where there won't be anything money left for entertainment.

Where's work?

The beaches are free, minus parking, but if you live in East Tampa (where housing is cheap) that won't be an easy commute to them. Theme parks are expensive. You will have to find a local paper and see what entertainment they list for free, or little. There are county parks with bike trails...you can find things to do...that's not really the concern...getting to them if you end up with a long commute might be the biggest problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay