Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]"" Buckhorn pointed to how new residents could finally enjoy the river walk, expected to face completion soon after 6 mayors and 30 years. The city's still in a $20 million deficit and has 500 less employees than six years ago. "". This is a quote from abc news on his "Annual Address" That is a long time in coming, we need more people to support new changes and improvements and job creation,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
[LEFT]"" Buckhorn pointed to how new residents could finally enjoy the river walk, expected to face completion soon after 6 mayors and 30 years. The city's still in a $20 million deficit and has 500 less employees than six years ago. "". This is a quote from abc news on his "Annual Address" That is a long time in coming, we need more people to support new changes and improvements and job creation,,,
I was reading about that address and how he talked about Tampa being more vibrant in the last couple of years, how he wants to use that to keep the pace going and be the flagship for the rest of Florida (i.e. the job market). He seemed very excited with the direction Tampa is, and has the potential of, going

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
While I never agree 100% with any politician on either side of the isle, being that I am unaffiliated and do not get hung up on democrat/republican ideology, I am a HUGE fan of the mayor. He seems to understand the proper balance between local government and the private sector. He seems like an extremely reasonable, thoughtful and fiscally sound man. Very rare in politics today. You don't see this at all in Washington. Not at all, with the exception of a handful way down the food chain. And what happens in Tampa DOES transfer over to the entire metro area.

Kudos Mayor!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
For those who did not see this but are interested:

Buckhorn in annual address: Tampa leads state in new jobs created

Priush8r, I agree, he sounds like a very reasonable, dignified person. I'm happy about him and I'm not even down there yet!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM

205 posts, read 293,793 times
I agree, I am generally happy with the direction he wants to take the city. More construction around here means more jobs and greater attractiveness to the younger, educated crowd that is crucial for stimulating business growth.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
I also like the mayors "swagger". He's like a personal coach for the town. Most people just don't have the energy or drive to inspire themselves, much less millions of people.

But.... You have to plan and execute in addition to speak. Tampa has to decide what it wants to be. A big business town? A retirement hub? A niche industry magnet?

When a city knows what it wants, it can execute a vision like the mayor has spoken about. Take Atlanta. When it bid for the Olympics most people thought there wasn't a chance in heck. But even before that bid, Atlanta was deciding that it wanted to be a big business town. It was growing and building out infrastructure to become a large business town.

Then take San Diego. San Diego was, and still is, a very large military city. But sometime ago its people decided they wanted to diversify, but didn't want to become a big business town like its behemoth LA, 1 hour north. Instead they wanted to focus on high tech, niche industry and lifestyle. Both San Diego and Atlanta were successful at their vision though they chose different identities.

Hopefully, Tampa can create a solid idea of what it wants to be. Floridas west coast could support a great metropolis I believe.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
[left]"" Buckhorn pointed to how new residents could finally enjoy the river walk, expected to face completion soon after 6 mayors and 30 years. The city's still in a $20 million deficit and has 500 less employees than six years ago. "". This is a quote from abc news on his "Annual Address" That is a long time in coming, we need more people to support new changes and improvements and job creation,,,
I'd be happy to see the downtown area get a facelift and be a place you'd want to go. I spend some time at Curtis Hixon and around the Performing Arts/Straz before performances, but that's about it. The area has so much potential -

Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
I thought the Tampa vision was "a homeless person on every street corner".

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
quote"" I thought the Tampa vision was "a homeless person on every street corner".>>
" was" yep WAS-- time for a change and got the right man with a great vision... and I didn't vote for him because I was living in Pinellas... but would have and will in the future,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: