Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

20 posts, read 52,380 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Palm Harbor from Southern Illinois. Our housing budget for now is $150k for a 3 bed home. Can anyone tell me what kind of neighborhood we are looking at in that price range? I see a lot of affordable houses for under that price but I have no idea if those are in good family friendly neighborhoods or not. We don't care about being near water or anything like that. We just want to be in a good school district and not in a bad part of town (if there is even a bad part to that town). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,741 times
I don't think there is a "bad" neighborhood in Palm Harbor, is there? Seems to me you have the affluent parts and the not-so-affluent parts, but I've never heard of a bad area there.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM

323 posts, read 684,669 times
$150K is probably pretty do-able. Prices are definitely going up in the nicer areas of Pinellas county, though, so be prepared to make an offer the same day you view a home you really want. You may want to extend your search to the northern portion of Clearwater, as they are very similar. $150K should get you into a pretty nice neighborhood, probably no pool. Bad area in Palm Harbor? Not that I've seen so far Oh, google maps is pretty telling if you zoom way into the area you're looking at. You can tell a lot about how well kept the neighborhood and houses are. It'll also show you if it backs up to any large commercial properties or roads, obviously.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Thank you for your responses! I haven't heard of a bad area in Palm Harbor but you never know. I actually prefer to not have a pool. I've never had one before and think the upkeep and extra expense may not be worth it. I will def check out google maps. Thank you for that suggestion!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Depending on how many sqft. you want to have and please keep in mind that if you are in flood zone you have to budget for flood ins. and some areas have CDD and/or HOA fees and the property taxes are a little higher then in Pasco County which is not far away.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
To the OP if you don't care about water...have you thought about Land-o Lakes in Pasco? Your $150,000 will go alot further(larger,newer home)the taxes and insurance are lower plus the schools are good! I think the LoL zipcode is 34638 if you want check out homes there!P.S. I am not a realtor....

Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
To the OP if you don't care about water...have you thought about Land-o Lakes in Pasco? Your $150,000 will go alot further(larger,newer home)the taxes and insurance are lower plus the schools are good! I think the LoL zipcode is 34638 if you want check out homes there!P.S. I am not a realtor....
You are right, you get more sqft in Pasco County and less taxes but if someone wants to live closer to te beaches then Palm Harbor might be a better option.

I live in Wesley Chapel and we don't go very often to the beach but still enjoy going whenever we want since it is only 1 hour at the most, away depending where we go to the beach...but I like this area with newer build homes, although Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Odessa, etc. all are very nice but the flood ins. aside from the chances of flooding is what rather keeps me over here.

Many different people and different choices

Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
The only major negative about Land-o-Lakes is many neighborhoods have HOA's and CDD's that can add up...but you do get community pools and clubhouses etc...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Hum..I didn't think about flood insurance. I will try to find out what that costs. Thank you for the info. I will check into all those places!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
When we were shopping I was trying to stay at 150K. Well... we spent more. Anything at 150K seemed to be neglected. Properties look much different in person than in person. It can be done though.... but if you are moving from Illinois and are not familiar with the area you would be wise to rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay