Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM

552 posts, read 720,546 times

Advertisements

Please stop building homes on former cow pastures. I went looking at rentals in Land O Lakes this week and the newer developments dont have any trees over 10ft tall. Its bad enough we're as flat as we are, we dont need our homes on a treeless prairie like we're a hotter version of Kansas. What do you all think? Am I alone in this sentiment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Please stop building homes on former cow pastures. I went looking at rentals in Land O Lakes this week and the newer developments dont have any trees over 10ft tall. Its bad enough we're as flat as we are, we dont need our homes on a treeless prairie like we're a hotter version of Kansas. What do you all think? Am I alone in this sentiment?
You are definitely not alone. I can't stand treeless subdivisons!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Where my subdivision was developed there weren't many trees to begin with - all of the trees we have were planted, including a lot of various palm trees. I expect by 10-20 yrs, they'll grow out and up. I doubt that our developer had to take down trees - but probably eliminated a lot of that unsightly jungle scrubbery that you see endemic to the area (obviously I'm no botanist).

I have been in communities up in Temple Terrace/New Tampa and trees form a canopy over the streets. Kind of different. Noticed roots pushing up the sidewalks as well.

I was hoping that the OP was going to complain to developers about how close they put the houses. That's my biggest complaint about FLA communties.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I am dead set against clear cutting to build homes, but if they are using bare land and then planting trees....that seems like a very good thing.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Former cow pastures would theoretically make for very good planting soil....It's better than coming in and wiping out all the vegetation to make room for housing. So long as the developers and owners plant some trees in the subdivisions, it'll look pretty nice in a couple decades. Don't get me wrong, the bare treeless cookie-cutter development thing isn't my cup of tea, but I'd rather they go about it that way than clearing land.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:

You are not alone! I detest this trend more than I can put it into words nicely.

Not only it is a communist tactic considering that all homes are the same= uniformity=beige=little soldiers trained to do the same every day=depersonalization all in lieu of get rich quick schemes by greedy builders...but all these homes are horrible from a building stand point considering that they lack architectural interest, and a lot of basic things like storage, parking, privacy, easy access to shopping, work, etc.

I feel like Florida as a whole has been really plagued by this rampant building because it depleted the state of its character. There is no "Florida Style" left, or promoted.

This emphasis that "hey y'all, move to Florida to live in big homes for cheap money" etc., is increasing people's dependency on gas (for vehicles), electric, water, and promotes large amounts of waste which unlike other countries, we don't burn it, we keep it stinking up neighborhoods! Like in Pompano Beach for example.

If you ever watch HGTV people look for "Character" in those homes...there is no more crown molding, wood details, like they build the front of the house to sort of look "Craftsman Style" but the interior looks like a box. They waste carpet, linoleum, Formica, horrible fixtures,...charge hundreds of thousands for the cheapest materials, wasting all of them, and homeowners money basically, because once the homeowner buys the house all that goes to garbage. Its not like any of it is recycled. There is a lot of waste going on right now in the construction industry. A lot of waste. It is a waterfall effect type of waste...it should be stopped really. MO of course.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Where my subdivision was developed there weren't many trees to begin with - all of the trees we have were planted, including a lot of various palm trees. I expect by 10-20 yrs, they'll grow out and up. I doubt that our developer had to take down trees - but probably eliminated a lot of that unsightly jungle scrubbery that you see endemic to the area (obviously I'm no botanist).

I have been in communities up in Temple Terrace/New Tampa and trees form a canopy over the streets. Kind of different. Noticed roots pushing up the sidewalks as well.

I was hoping that the OP was going to complain to developers about how close they put the houses. That's my biggest complaint about FLA communties.
Oh trust me, Im not a fan of that either. All the houses were on these rectangluar lots with about 6 feet between your wall and the neighbors wall. Thats fine for a big city like Tampa or St Pete, not suburbia.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You are not alone! I detest this trend more than I can put it into words nicely.

Not only it is a communist tactic considering that all homes are the same= uniformity=beige=little soldiers trained to do the same every day=depersonalization all in lieu of get rich quick schemes by greedy builders...but all these homes are horrible from a building stand point considering that they lack architectural interest, and a lot of basic things like storage, parking, privacy, easy access to shopping, work, etc.

I feel like Florida as a whole has been really plagued by this rampant building because it depleted the state of its character. There is no "Florida Style" left, or promoted.

This emphasis that "hey y'all, move to Florida to live in big homes for cheap money" etc., is increasing people's dependency on gas (for vehicles), electric, water, and promotes large amounts of waste which unlike other countries, we don't burn it, we keep it stinking up neighborhoods! Like in Pompano Beach for example.

If you ever watch HGTV people look for "Character" in those homes...there is no more crown molding, wood details, like they build the front of the house to sort of look "Craftsman Style" but the interior looks like a box. They waste carpet, linoleum, Formica, horrible fixtures,...charge hundreds of thousands for the cheapest materials, wasting all of them, and homeowners money basically, because once the homeowner buys the house all that goes to garbage. Its not like any of it is recycled. There is a lot of waste going on right now in the construction industry. A lot of waste. It is a waterfall effect type of waste...it should be stopped really. MO of course.
Yeah you end up wasting more water watering your lawn because theres not trees to put any shade on it, and wasting more electric because theres not shade on your house in the summer.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM

66 posts, read 97,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Amen to this, McMansions and Florida go hand in hand, other thn the weather the state is as bland and boring as they come.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Oh trust me, Im not a fan of that either. All the houses were on these rectangluar lots with about 6 feet between your wall and the neighbors wall. Thats fine for a big city like Tampa or St Pete, not suburbia.
This is exactly why when we were house hunting one of my high priority criteria was to back nature and not somebody's yard. We ended up getting just that and more, in fact, in three sides: no house in the front, in the back, and on one side. It feels so quite and so natural not seeing somebody's back . We wake up and just see huge trees and orange trees .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay