U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,612,645 times

Advertisements

How often would you say, on average, do tires get replaced in Florida? I would imagine the wear differs due to the pavement being heated alot (aside from the heavy traffic and/or city driving which would be in most areas) due to the climate.

Also, most tires I've had have been, at the very least, all-season tires but also wondering if you need to purchase tires with a greater tire thread depth because of the heat?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM

25,235 posts, read 14,208,572 times
I think we do better than the snow people,,, salt etc for ice, I do 60K easy.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,404,618 times
The roads down here seem to be in better condition than what I what I have encountered up north. I think it will be a non-issue.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM

This is very good news. Thank you for the input

There are so many roads in disrepair up here and I'm not kidding when I say some of them is like driving over a series of moguls. This time of year is always really bad due to the frost heaves.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,698,405 times
Those roads are nice and smooth but they really should learn how to put a good crown in them. With those heavy rains there, a lot of the roads seem to puddle up and not drain very well.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
How often would you say, on average, do tires get replaced in Florida? I would imagine the wear differs due to the pavement being heated alot (aside from the heavy traffic and/or city driving which would be in most areas) due to the climate.

Also, most tires I've had have been, at the very least, all-season tires but also wondering if you need to purchase tires with a greater tire thread depth because of the heat?

In Alaska we would have summer tires and winter tires with studs. Our tires have been wearing well down here. I made sure to buy something that was more of a rain tire. But remember... if you ever plan on driving up north with your vehicle when there could be ice or snow.. be sure to buy a good all season tire.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

132 posts, read 289,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post

All-season tires work great here and make sure you get ones that are highly rated for wet traction (tirerack.com has lots of reviews). Tire wear isn't too bad as every tire I've had (save for ones on my sporty cars I've driven hard) have lasted as long as expected. Just replaced original tires on our 2011 Honda CR-V at 38k miles. If you need a set of all-seasons I HIGHLY recommend the Firestone Destination LE2. It's pretty much the highest rated in its class and for good reason. These tires felt glued to the road in the rain, unlike the factory Continentals. The Firestones are rated for 60K miles and have warranty for that long.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
In Alaska we would have summer tires and winter tires with studs. Our tires have been wearing well down here. I made sure to buy something that was more of a rain tire. But remember... if you ever plan on driving up north with your vehicle when there could be ice or snow.. be sure to buy a good all season tire.
Not. A. Chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
All-season tires work great here and make sure you get ones that are highly rated for wet traction (tirerack.com has lots of reviews). Tire wear isn't too bad as every tire I've had (save for ones on my sporty cars I've driven hard) have lasted as long as expected. Just replaced original tires on our 2011 Honda CR-V at 38k miles. If you need a set of all-seasons I HIGHLY recommend the Firestone Destination LE2. It's pretty much the highest rated in its class and for good reason. These tires felt glued to the road in the rain, unlike the factory Continentals. The Firestones are rated for 60K miles and have warranty for that long.
Awesome info, thank you. I can sometimes be blamed as being a typical female when it comes to the upkeep of a vehicle but the older I get, the more I pay attention to maintenance and how important it is. I would love the tires I have now to last me 'til I get down there but we shall see...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,404,618 times
Personally I buy Michelin and typically get 60-80k out of them.

One thing people tell me is car batteries don't last.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,698,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Personally I buy Michelin and typically get 60-80k out of them.

One thing people tell me is car batteries don't last.
I know that motorcycle batteries don't last long.The heat cooks them. I used to replace mine every two years and save the old one for the lawnmower.I did that on the advice of the mechanic at the bike shop. Dashboards and headliners take a beating also. One of those reflective things in the windshield doesen't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay