U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,343 posts, read 6,069,010 times
Reputation: 5978

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You must vote lefty...
Ah, the old "I really have no counterpoint to your argument so I'll try to insult you", even though voting "lefty" is actually a compliment to one's intelligence.


Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,934,799 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I don't know what clear line people are looking but the line is clear to me. When your action endangers the safety of other drivers, that's the line. That's why the cop will stop you if you drive recklessly.

OTOH, it is funny to see people making silly logic, "if they do this now, they will do that tomorrow." What?
You should lobby the State of Florida to re-inforce vehicle safety inspections, I've seen plenty of vehicles driving down the road with lights burned out, faulty tires, and missing mirrors... they infringe on my safety and should be removed from the roadways!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,934,799 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
But I was also trying to support part of what TXRyan was saying (or at least I think he was) in that the reason (driving to endanger) behind this new law could also be the same reason to create a law in the future - such as, no driving and consuming food/beverages and if that were passed, how many of us would be up in arms? Whether or not that is a ridiculous law or one that has some merit is not my argument. My point only was that where is the line that Big Brother/our government stops stepping in and I could be wrong but I'm not clear where that is.
You have it correct. People see a law like banning texting in your vehicle to be a great thing because it removes a "danger" from the roadways!

What they don't see is that support for that law will lead to the banning of OTHER things in your vehicle, your "personal property."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Any Beach/FL
26,032 posts, read 14,581,360 times
Reputation: 10715
We are in for a bad time in the future as the younger generation has lost all respect for us period and the laws we push now and do not follow ourselves, have taken integrity to its death. We lead by example-and those leaders are hard to find. Companies have drivers on PCS n texting locations etc. Plumbers/ cable/ etc - LEOS are always on, realtors never put the phones down, they have writing pads stuck to the dash-boards- I could go on- and lest not talk about GPS systems!
Laws about anything can be inacted,,, but if we do not resepect it, what do you think the next generation watching will do? This one will be hard to block now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,934,799 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We are in for a bad time in the future as the younger generation has lost all respect for us period and the laws we push now and do not follow ourselves, have taken integrity to its death. We lead by example-and those leaders are hard to find. Companies have drivers on PCS n texting locations etc. Plumbers/ cable/ etc - LEOS are always on, realtors never put the phones down, they have writing pads stuck to the dash-boards- I could go on- and lest not talk about GPS systems!
Laws about anything can be inacted,,, but if we do not resepect it, what do you think the next generation watching will do? This one will be hard to block now.
Rather than putting a law in place that violates our freedom, why not lobby cell-phone providers to create their cell phones with a kill switch that disables cell phones when they're traveling at speeds above 5-10mph?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,934,799 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Ah, the old "I really have no counterpoint to your argument so I'll try to insult you", even though voting "lefty" is actually a compliment to one's intelligence.


Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My reply wasn't to you, and yes, it's usually "lefty" that's constantly complaining about our rights that were guaranteed to us 230+ years ago because "it was a different time."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,704 posts, read 9,503,191 times
Reputation: 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Rather than putting a law in place that violates our freedom, why not lobby cell-phone providers to create their cell phones with a kill switch that disables cell phones when they're traveling at speeds above 5-10mph?
On a bus?

As a passenger?

Too hard to separate I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,655,180 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You should lobby the State of Florida to re-inforce vehicle safety inspections, I've seen plenty of vehicles driving down the road with lights burned out, faulty tires, and missing mirrors... they infringe on my safety and should be removed from the roadways!
I support car inspection too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,343 posts, read 6,069,010 times
Reputation: 5978
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
My reply wasn't to you, and yes, it's usually "lefty" that's constantly complaining about our rights that were guaranteed to us 230+ years ago because "it was a different time."
There's no "right" to text while driving. Heck, every state DMV will tell you that even driving isn't a "right", it's a privilege.

I find it surprising that you can't wrap your head around the notion that society has changed in the last 200 years and conditions that weren't even dreamed of then shouldn't be addressed. For example-back in the early years of flight, pilots were free to fly willy nilly anywhere at anytime. After they started crashing into each other, someone somewhere thought that it might be a good idea to make the pilots have a license and follow a flight plan. Did the pilots loose the "right" to fly unlicensed and willy nilly? Yes they did, but society is better because of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,708 posts, read 7,360,422 times
Reputation: 10158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You should lobby the State of Florida to re-inforce vehicle safety inspections, I've seen plenty of vehicles driving down the road with lights burned out, faulty tires, and missing mirrors... they infringe on my safety and should be removed from the roadways!
You don't excuse bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top