Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
When my family relocated from Orlando to Tampa back in 1984, we lived in the fruit bowl..
Out of curiosity, was it just as bad then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Out of curiosity, was it just as bad then?
Honestly, I was 1 years old when we moved there, when I was 3 we moved to Valrico, then at 4 to the Lithia/Plant City area. I have memories of the area but my opinion of the old days on the fruit bowl are mostly from my parents experiences. I'd say that it wasn't nearly as bad then as it is now. I remember my sister went to Lopez Elementary School and it seemed like it was okay.

Although, it seems weird to me that we would have moved from there to Valrico to the Lithia/Plant City area when my dad worked just down the road from Seffner, I think that's a question I'm going to ask him the next time I talk to him..

Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,361 times
move to miami

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccruizinmama View Post
We will be moving to FL hopefully soon. We want to be somewhere between Orlando & Clearwater. We have been looking at Seffner,Lakeland,Plant City,Lithia. Any suggestions for a safe,good schools(highschool/college) nice homes but not too pricey w/pool $50,000-$130,000. Will this even be possible to find something nice in this price range w/pool?
610 West Windhorst Road, Brandon FL - Trulia

High School: Brandon High School, Great Schools rated 5
College: USF, UT, Hillsborough C.C., UF, FSU, UM, ect, ect...

609 Somerstone Drive, Valrico FL - Trulia

High School: Durant High School (I went there! ) Great Schools rated 6
College: USF, UT, Hillsborough C.C., UF, FSU, UM, ect, ect...

These are a couple examples, but it CAN be found..

Old 04-14-2013, 01:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Another area I have yet to see anybody mention that might be on your radar would be Lutz. I'd check it out.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM

166 posts, read 369,979 times
I remember when we started our home search it began in in the Brandon area, we were out of state buyers and had worked with a few different realtors on several different trips. Brandon was a bit odd as we were looking for new construction and we were lead to a beautiful houses in subdivisions but surrounded by much older homes? Then the realtor (not the best of sellers) took us for a tour and actually pointed out an area known for prostitution and drug dealers. He wouldn't even show us Seffner cause he said he feared showing homes there. So our next realtor showed us property in Seffner and lived there herself and said Seffner had gotten a bad reputation for meth labs and grow houses and recommended Plant City instead. Looking for a home on acreage there that wasn't surrounded by trailer homes was a challenge! The talk of sink holes, high crime and drug houses scared us off, and mind you this was all info from the Realtors!! Appreciate their honesty but wonder if they sold any homes at all??? This was 7 yrs ago and I have heard after the housing market crash, it is now worse. Although we saw lovely homes on beautiful pieces of property, it wasn't consistent throughout the neighborhoods. I would recommend several visits including weekend and night time hours, visit the local grocery store where you'd be shopping, and don't be afraid to ask people in the area how they feel about the area before buying!!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
That is one thing about Brandon that I have always found unsettling. There is little consistency to the development over the years, with areas built in the 80s, for example, right next to new construction. I have often wondered what sort of effect that has on the property values, especially for the newer homes.

As you go farther south towards Lithia things become a bit more consistent, at least on a larger scale.

I would encourage you to look in the Bloomingdale East area if you are considering homes in the 10-15 year old range. A nice area with lots of amenities and easy access to the interstate and shopping.

If you're looking for newer or new construction homes, a little farther south is the Fishhawk development. Understand that it is somewhat pricey and has an annual fee for the taxing district that maintains it - around $2,000/year last time I checked.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay