U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,386 posts, read 11,369,715 times
Reputation: 6636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You'll miss it.

EVERYONE misses Florida when they leave. It literally took 7 years for me to get over my homesickness when I left around 2000. You've been in California for less than 2 months, it's still new and exciting for you! Trust me, I live in Texas and I talk to Californians that have left California everyday for various reasons, such as taxes, cost of living, depression, crime, cost of living, politics, ect, ect...

I still miss the Tampa Bay area pretty bad from time to time, but luckily I've found a place that better suits my needs. I give harsh criticism to Florida and the Tampa Bay area and it's usually 70/30 truth vs. experience/opinions, but I can still honestly say that if the economy was right, there's no other place I'd WANT to live.

Oh, and yes, I REALLY miss Publix! Luckily, it's only about an 8 hour drive for me to re-enter the Florida State Line and get to a Publix if I want to, I've made a few trips to Pensacola just for a relaxing weekend of the beach, cuban sandwiches, and wings.
Not really. I couldn't wait to get out of Florida. My situation there made me more depressed every single day. Maybe if I was living a normal life in Florida, but I wasn't.

I had to move so I could start over and live a life. But yeah, Publix is awesome.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
 
Location: St. Pete, FL
733 posts, read 1,385,452 times
Reputation: 656
What was going on here that you hated so bad? And what is so great about Publix? I haven't been there yet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,631,882 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
What was going on here that you hated so bad? And what is so great about Publix? I haven't been there yet.
Publix is overated, if you ask me. They simply know how to advertise. Nothing special. Please give us your opinion once you see it. ETA: I will give them the rossetti chicken though, that's nice in my local publix. I only buy that from them.

OP, I am happy for you that you get out of a place that dipresses you. This ain't a jock.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,704 posts, read 9,438,926 times
Reputation: 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Publix is overated, if you ask me. They simply know how to advertise. Nothing special. Please give us your opinion once you see it.
Ditto!

It's better than Walmart, except for the prices. That's about it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,899,049 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not really. I couldn't wait to get out of Florida. My situation there made me more depressed every single day. Maybe if I was living a normal life in Florida, but I wasn't.

I had to move so I could start over and live a life. But yeah, Publix is awesome.
When I left I was 18, fresh out of high school, and was turned down for admission to all of the colleges that I applied to within the state, despite a 3.0 gpa! I couldn't live at home like so many other kids my age were because my parents had divorced, one moved into a cramped apartment, the other moved to Tennessee.

So, at 18, I was on my own, had no school to go to, my job paid $5.25 an hour, and I couldn't find a higher paying one. I couldn't go to community college because they didn't offer housing and I couldn't afford rent and utilities, so I applied to schools in Tennessee (with the hopes of staying with my mom) and was accepted to Tennessee State University and offered on campus housing. Needless to say, I moved to Tennessee and was actually hired at a Kroger store in Nashville making over $10/hr.

So, no. you're not alone as having been someone that moved because your life sucked. However, you will grow to really miss it. Trust me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,899,049 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
And what is so great about Publix? I haven't been there yet.
I love the Publix Deli/Bakery.

The rest I could care less about. I've worked in retail and that the fake "happy employee" routine irritates me. No one in retail that has to deal with disgruntled customers really love (or even like) their jobs.

I grew up with access to Caribbean, Jamaican, and Cuban foods and Publix (at least most of them) seem to carry a decent selection of those foods. I love their deli Cuban sandwiches as well as their chicken (fried, roasted, and wings.)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,704 posts, read 9,438,926 times
Reputation: 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
When I left I was 18, fresh out of high school, and was turned down for admission to all of the colleges that I applied to within the state, despite a 3.0 gpa! I couldn't live at home like so many other kids my age were because my parents had divorced, one moved into a cramped apartment, the other moved to Tennessee.

So, at 18, I was on my own, had no school to go to, my job paid $5.25 an hour, and I couldn't find a higher paying one. I couldn't go to community college because they didn't offer housing and I couldn't afford rent and utilities, so I applied to schools in Tennessee (with the hopes of staying with my mom) and was accepted to Tennessee State University and offered on campus housing. Needless to say, I moved to Tennessee and was actually hired at a Kroger store in Nashville making over $10/hr.

So, no. you're not alone as having been someone that moved because your life sucked. However, you will grow to really miss it. Trust me.
WOW!

I had a LOT of respect for you already, but even more now. I really respected fighters. We were so poor that in our first place we slept on the floor (had no furniture or mattress), sat on bundles of newspapers for furniture and listened on a donated old TV on which the picture did not work.....LOL.

I wouldn't trade those hard times for anything. Makes me appreciate everything so much more now.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,019,953 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You'll miss it.

EVERYONE misses Florida when they leave. It literally took 7 years for me to get over my homesickness when I left around 2000. You've been in California for less than 2 months, it's still new and exciting for you! Trust me, I live in Texas and I talk to Californians that have left California everyday for various reasons, such as taxes, cost of living, depression, crime, cost of living, politics, ect, ect...

I still miss the Tampa Bay area pretty bad from time to time, but luckily I've found a place that better suits my needs. I give harsh criticism to Florida and the Tampa Bay area and it's usually 70/30 truth vs. experience/opinions, but I can still honestly say that if the economy was right, there's no other place I'd WANT to live.

Oh, and yes, I REALLY miss Publix! Luckily, it's only about an 8 hour drive for me to re-enter the Florida State Line and get to a Publix if I want to, I've made a few trips to Pensacola just for a relaxing weekend of the beach, cuban sandwiches, and wings.
Stop it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,386 posts, read 11,369,715 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Stop it.
There is nothing to miss about Florida. He's trying to spout that everyone misses something about Florida, and that's simply not true. I hated the weather, hated the lifestyle, etc.

Now this is turning into a hate thread, which I didn't want.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,899,049 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There is nothing to miss about Florida. He's trying to spout that everyone misses something about Florida, and that's simply not true. I hated the weather, hated the lifestyle, etc.

Now this is turning into a hate thread, which I didn't want.
How old are you PDF?

You started a thread in the "Tampa Bay" forum titled "Things I miss about Tampa" and proceeded to say that you'll miss nothing. However, in the post quoted above, you say that there is nothing to miss, while in your original post you claimed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do miss Publix. I worked there and shopped there. Now I'm working for a grocery chain out here in LA, and the ones out here are fine, but there's nothing like Publix. Tampa also has an awesome airport, and people are easier to talk to.
So, which is it? Is there nothing to miss about Florida, or is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do find myself appreciating some things about Florida more now that I'm gone, and wished I would have gotten out and explored more. But I guess that always happens.
Maybe you'd have more fond memories if you'd have gotten out and explored more?

The only people turning this thread into a "hate thread" are you and Not_liking_FL.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top