U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,324,956 times

Advertisements

I am talking about NEW construction (built after 2010), 2 level (homes with a second floor) houses that are 3000 sq feet or larger, what is the average electric bill?

Does anyone here live in one of these houses, or knows someone who lives in one of these houses?

I live in a 2000 sq foot 1950s ranch, 1-level concrete block house. My monthly electric bill in winter is about 80 dollars. In summer it can go to 160.

I am looking to move to a new construction home. Most of the homes they are building where I want to live (South Tampa) are 2-level houses that are 3000 square feet or larger. I am being told by Realtors that even though these houses are nearly or double the size of my old house, they are "so energy efficient" (b/c they are new) that the electric bills are lower than in my old house.

Is this true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,069,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am looking to move to a new construction home. Most of the homes they are building where I want to live (South Tampa) are 2-level houses that are 3000 square feet or larger. I am being told by Realtors that even though these houses are nearly or double the size of my old house, they are "so energy efficient" (b/c they are new) that the electric bills are lower than in my old house.

Is this true?
No, it's typical realtor/marketing speak. Many people that make these claims conveniently forget that larger houses will have water heating systems that are either much larger and/or will have multiple water heaters. You will probably have twice the lighting, refrigerators/freezers, TVs, etc.

Your insulation WILL be better in a new house, as will the quality of the windows. This will result in some savings on AC costs. I would also compare the size and the SEER ratings of the two HVAC units. If you are heating with an electric strip, it's going to cost more for a bigger house just to get that thing up to temp.

To expect a 3,000 sq ft house to have a summer bill less than $160 seems like a big stretch, unless you like to sweat.

If you have access to natural gas, a gas-fired heater in the winter and gas-fired water heaters and a clothes dryer will save you quite a bit on your electric bill, but you'll still be on the hook for $30-40 a month to Peoples Gas.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Hey chi_tino, thanks for the reply.

OK, so if it's NOT true that they are cheaper to cool, then why are the builders ONLY building huge houses???? And why are people buying these huge houses left and right? Don't they realize how much money it's gonna cost to cool these houses????

Oh yeah I should have mentioned that my 2000 sq foot, old, block house is ALL electric, I have no gas whatsoever. I have no gas line to my house. And yeah my bills are 80 in winter, up to 160 in summer. I keep my thermostat at 76-77.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Psh, our electric bill to cool our 1300sq ft block house rental in South Tampa has hit $350-375 a couple times during the summer...and probably averages $225-250 during the summer. We have never seen a bill under $100...during any part of the year. We do keep our home cooler (72-74), however. We also have never ran the heat as it never gets cold (to us) to use anything more than a space heater.

FYI, I believe you may can call TECO and request the average high and low of a bill for a particular address. Or at least, I was able to do that when I lived in South Carolina for homes.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Yeah putting your thermostat below 76 in summer is a surefire way to get a very outrageous electric bill in these parts.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,478,158 times
It helps a lot if you shut off your A/C while you are gone for the day. Just flip it back on when you get home.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,155,130 times
Why would a Real Estate Agent lie about an Electric Bill??? What does that serve to the Client. Most Realtors rely on repeat business or referrals based on how good of a job they have done for there clients. Just know that Chi Tino is also a licensed Real Estate Agent, but sure enjoys poking a stick in others Agents eyes.

It honestly depends on how cool/warm you want it, how many people live there, how much you do laundry, will you have a pool, will you be in it all day or can you moderate the temperature while everyone is out at work/school, and numerous other things. There really is a no one size fits all.

I have a 3000+ square foot home, mainly one floor but a huge bonus room for a second floor with plenty of open space, a swimming pool, and a wife, 22 and 17 year old daughters, and my mother in law lives here 4+ months a year. The highest I have had was a little over 400 in the heat of the Summer and the lowest I have had was about 160 in the Winter.

Someone is always in the house and I hate to be to warm or to cold inside my house. Could we cut corners on the temp or the pool, yes. But we choose not to.

Last edited by gulfer; 04-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: wanted to add the 2nd floor for clarification

Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 67,233 times
hmmm, since Houston's weather is warmer than Tampa...... we were paying less than $70/m on electricity to cool our 3051 sq ft home in the summer. In addition, we did have gas which was aprox 40$/ month I dont think if the house is built well and insulated correctly, you could be around the $100 range

Old 04-09-2013, 11:03 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,478,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kmugen View Post
hmmm, since Houston's weather is warmer than Tampa...... we were paying less than $70/m on electricity to cool our 3051 sq ft home in the summer. In addition, we did have gas which was aprox 40$/ month I dont think if the house is built well and insulated correctly, you could be around the $100 range
There is absolutely no possible way a 3051 sq ft home around here will have a $100 electric bill, unless heating and a/c is left off year round.

TECO must charge much more than the Houston utility...

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 67,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
There is absolutely no possible way a 3051 sq ft home around here will have a $100 electric bill, unless heating and a/c is left off year round.

TECO must charge much more than the Houston utility...
Here's a screen shot and our price was aprox 0.09/kw

www.imgur.com/tvxsK0G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay