Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM

500 posts, read 1,168,451 times

Advertisements

Just starting research on places to live, and I think we've zeroed in on the left part of the bay area, lol We want to be within a half hour or so from a beach, and I'm just not feeling the actual Tampa city, so perhaps St Pete, Clearwater, Dunedin, etc (Palm Harbor in my dreams!).

The thing is, my boyfriend will be trying to get his business transferred/off the ground, so for the first year or two, we're going to be super tight on finances. We obviously want to live somewhere safe enough for me to not worry that I'm going to get mugged if I go out by myself at night, and don't want to live in a dump, but are going to be limited to about $600-700 for a 2 bedroom apartment. I don't really think we want to live in an apartment complex, maybe more of a duplex or small building or something, in a place that's able to be walked and not always have to drive. We don't like busy places where cars whiz by at high speeds every second, but aren't really the "downtown walkable" kind of people, either.

We're coming down in 3 weeks to check things out, and I'm overwhelmed at where to start looking. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 PM

792 posts, read 2,282,260 times
Not to be a 'debbie downer' or anything, but $600-$700 is not enough to get you into a nice area. You can still avoid living in the hood, but your probably going to end up somewhere like Pinellas Park or Lealman.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 PM

I don't need "nice", I need safe and mostly decent! lol

Tell me what Pinellas Park and Lealman are like!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 AM

693 posts, read 1,132,265 times
I have a coworker who is from Pinellas Park, I cant tell you much but she is in her late 50's, single and likes living there very much. From seeing pictures of her home and talking about the area I get the impression that it is a nice but modest place to live, overall.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,596,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post

If you do not want to be mugged or live in a dump....do not live in Lealman or Pinellas Park-

Some areas of Pinellas Park are nice but I do not think it's worth it.

Clearwater is better but $700 a month will not get you into the nice areas ...

Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM

323 posts, read 681,106 times
Well there's plenty of dumpy areas of Clearwater as well, mostly southern Clearwater/Largo. And Pinellas Park/Lealman is not the nicest area, but IMO, it's relatively safe.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post

"Safe" & Your budget don't go together well in Florida. (anywhere)
Duplexes are not easy to find, if there are any, and your best bet would be an apartment building. But with that budget don't expect it to be safe. I suggest to compile a list of everything you see in that price range online, get their addresses and when you come down visit during day time, and at night.
That budget is not realistic with your wishes.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 AM

792 posts, read 2,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I have a coworker who is from Pinellas Park, I cant tell you much but she is in her late 50's, single and likes living there very much. From seeing pictures of her home and talking about the area I get the impression that it is a nice but modest place to live, overall.
exactly!

Pinellas Park and Lealman are working class neighborhoods. Mostly safe and modest. Yeah there are bad areas, but in my opinion, it's safer than places like Gulfport which cost way more to live in, even though they border the hood.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Thank you, Bavarian and StPeteGuy! That's the kind of info I need.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM

104 posts, read 170,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
exactly!

Pinellas Park and Lealman are working class neighborhoods. Mostly safe and modest. Yeah there are bad areas, but in my opinion, it's safer than places like Gulfport which cost way more to live in, even though they border the hood.
Pinellas Park and Lealman are safer than Gulfport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay