Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
acoustics in the Trop are very, very bad - and the stands are far away from the stage - never the best concerts in there (I've seen a ton of them after Rays' games over the last several seasons). Kenny played songs from early 70s to his latest ones.

nice walk-off by Longo, too

I predict a small crowd today - Padres dont' draw - and for Mother's Day - Trop isn't the best reward for Mom........last night's game had a very small crowd for a concert - usually 30k.
Unfortunately, the Padres don't draw in their own home town. I don't know if it's because they fight to be a contending team or if there is simply so much else going on in San Diego that it's not a big baseball town but the intensity is low. One time out there, I bought tix for the Dodgers-Padres and took my nephew who was going to college out there. We were very excited to see the game given these two teams are rivals. Coming from Boston and knowing how intense it gets with Yankees games, I expected something similar but it was extremely calm and friendly and I didn't feel that "buzz" like you get in Boston. But....it was still fun all the same and I'm assuming it will be similar with the Rays (not complaining in the least!).

I have also been to Dodgers stadium and was nervous about driving to the field since I knew nothing about LA. After that being a breeze, I decided it's Boston that *stinks* as far as being an easy going drive/park/on the wallet.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
going to tonight's game: that'll be three games for me in less than a week....I'm doing my part to keep this team from re-locating.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
going to tonight's game: that'll be three games for me in less than a week....I'm doing my part to keep this team from re-locating.
Oohh, I am jealous!! I do not have to work tonight so I will be watching this game. I can't wait to see Moore pitching, his team is above .500 and it will be interesting to see how Lackey does as he has not done too well against the Rays.

Here's hoping for a great game, whatever the outcome. I'll be rooting for both of them if that's possible.

Have fun BucFan!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Rays win, 10-strikeouts by our pitching, Moore wins his 7th game. 15k were there to witness Boston fans going home in the 7th and 8th inning long before their team made its last out.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM

251 posts, read 436,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
And they missed a great game!

I would like to see more promotions. How about handing out 15 tickets to Little League Teams, How about a 2 for 1 ticket, how about a free hot dog, how about free parking, etc...

The Marketing people for the Rays need to be fired. I had heard about the Concert on the Radio, where is the Billboards all over the city? Where is the front page advertisement?

You give a dozen free tickets to a kids baseball team, they are going to bring a parent or two and maybe another brother or sister or two. Would you rather have 18K at full price or 36K at half price? They all park, they all eat, they all buy stuff, etc...

The Rays could help themselves I think in this area
Another casual fan wanting free stuff for no reason. Would the business you're in do better if you cut every price in half? No, it would fold, doesn't even matter what it is.

The Rays are well known to be the best value in baseball - from ticket prices, to parking, to food, to giveaways, to letting people bring in their own water. All to watch the team with the third most wins in the game since 2008. If you want a better deal than what the Rays give you then maybe Port Charlotte is where you should be watching baseball.

Front page advertisements? That's a joke right? And anyone that didn't know Kenny Loggins was playing last week simply isn't connected to reality. The broadcasters spoke about it every day for a month, there was a sign right behind home plate for weeks, and the Rays website was plastered with ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyeccentric View Post
At any given weekend you may find more fans at Bright house field in Clearwater than at the Tropicana Field. I suspect
2 reasons cost of parking at the Trop and beverages coupled with the Tampa Bay area having too many sports events or offering for its population. The economy here sees 25% of all homeowners in foreclosure (past present and future) and shelling out 50 bucks for one
game is insanity. It's just too much work.
I don't know where Rays fans get the impression that parking and concessions are expensive at the Trop compared to other MLB parks. Let's get it straight, they're not. And the economy in Tampa isn't so much worse than other cities that so-called baseball fans can't show up to the games. And by the way, the US economy is doing just fine.

Last edited by Kestrel88; 05-14-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM

251 posts, read 436,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Has there ever been any talk about having concerts there on non-game nights or, since it could be done down there, in the off season?

As long as it was not a "school" night, I could handle a concert after a game; otherwise, I'm such a wimp...I'm in bed early during the week! lol

There have been big concerts at the Trop but few acts can fill it. Even fewer would want to with the horrible sound and distances people must sit away from the stage. I've seen the Trop full at a rock show and it's not an enjoyable experience. Most bands big enough to play there head to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa or the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. Bands that draw 8-15k people play at the Forum or the Ampitheater. (Whatever they're called these days...)

Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Rays win, 10-strikeouts by our pitching, Moore wins his 7th game. 15k were there to witness Boston fans going home in the 7th and 8th inning long before their team made its last out.
I have to say, that was a great game. After hitting the first Sox batter, Moore settled in to pitch a stellar game, at one point striking out the side, and retiring 12 batters in a row. Molina had a good night as well.

I was watching the pre-game and NESN showed how Maddon has brought in 'entertainment' to the clubhouse - I think a magician, salsa dancing, penguins from Sea World, etc. and they went on to go 5-1. Interesting approach but whatever works, right? lol

One good highlight for the Sox - what a shot by Ortiz, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
There have been big concerts at the Trop but few acts can fill it. Even fewer would want to with the horrible sound and distances people must sit away from the stage. I've seen the Trop full at a rock show and it's not an enjoyable experience. Most bands big enough to play there head to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa or the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. Bands that draw 8-15k people play at the Forum or the Ampitheater. (Whatever they're called these days...)
That's too bad about the poor sound there and I know that was mentioned in an earlier post here. Maybe they can drum up some other events? I know Fenway has hosted the Life is Good tour among other fun events.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 AM

DUI-mig or Dumbdog - the radio guy in the afternoon for WDAE - hasn't said a word recently about the Rays' hitting coach. Hasn't given him any credit after weeks of calling for him to be fired. Getting these minor-leaguers filling the Rays squad to hit major league pitching is no small feat. Of course, DUI-mig goes in another direction when he's been proven to be wrong.

As usual, Dui-mig was critical of Maddon's unconventional style (penguin, Salsa band) - seems to work for the Rays.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
DUI-mig or Dumbdog - the radio guy in the afternoon for WDAE - hasn't said a word recently about the Rays' hitting coach. Hasn't given him any credit after weeks of calling for him to be fired. Getting these minor-leaguers filling the Rays squad to hit major league pitching is no small feat. Of course, DUI-mig goes in another direction when he's been proven to be wrong.

As usual, Dui-mig was critical of Maddon's unconventional style (penguin, Salsa band) - seems to work for the Rays.
I consider myself a purist when it comes to baseball. I was able to catch a glimpse of MLB before free agency took hold, when there were 4 men in the pitching rotation, not 5 and these same 4 did not have pitch counts like today, and when some years back advertising was suggested to be put on the bases at (I think) an All-Star game, I was very much against it. But...there is also alot of room for having FUN. The Red Sox did it in '03 with Millar coining his team "Idiots" and added a new meaning to "cowboy up". So if Maddon wants to have a little fun, make the clubhouse more loose and relaxed, I say good for him, he gets it. As long as the players are responsive, let 'em enjoy.

Everyone is too serious. Bring back players like Mark-the Bird-Fidrych, Al Hrabosky (sp?), and Rick Dempsy in rainouts doing belly flopping slides on the tarp.

oops, I think I just dated myself, lol

Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:

Yay!! I went last night...great game.

Going to try and attend a few concerts as well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay