Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM

34 posts, read 52,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tarbaby View Post
It's good you weren't trying to be funny... you would have failed miserably.
This way, you were just boring.
Wasn't exactly expecting collective laughter with that post. I'll try harder on my next attempt at humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 16,973 times
Try not being a tool, that's all I ask.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Not too bad for the area, if you ask me. But for $1500, you could probably get a single family home with less square footage, if you want to.

Here is how you should check.......similar house in the area sales around 150K - 170K. At 0% down, that's how you are renting and 4% plus interest rate + insurance + taxes, you will get to about $1000 to $1100.

Now the owner has to account for maintenance of the place and payment when it is not rented, probably management fee, if they are doing so. So, the owner is making about $400 to $500 by renting to you and doing the maintenance for you.

But you can clearly see that you can buy similar place cheaper than what you are renting it now.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa No Look View Post
Wasn't exactly expecting collective laughter with that post. I'll try harder on my next attempt at humor.
This is interesting, I thought you guys were the same person.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM

164 posts, read 266,616 times
Did not expect this many responses...awesome. Forgot to mention there is also a pond for fishing. Also, includes washer/dryer, refrig, etc. Which we currently do not have at this time. We don't mind paying what we are paying for now as it seems safe and in a great location. I believe our neighbors could be paying as high as $1800.

I believe many responses may not be taking into account income because someone making $50,000 may not feel the same about rent as the guy making $100k. What do you think?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I looked at rental prices in Westchase and you are not over paying. You're paying more than you would in other locations around Tampa, but not for that area.

You can go in any major city in America (maybe too general of a comment .. but will stick with it) and find higher priced areas because of location. Most don't back up to wilderness or water, they are higher because of numerous factors. But the bottom line is things will rent or sell depending on demand. If nobody wanted to live in Westchase, you would be paying much less.

A friend of mine relocated down here for work. In Westchase, off Linebaugh, there are numerous townhomes that rent for over 2K to 3K per month. The company put them up in that.

Was a great commute to work for them, was in an area with a school system they liked, etc...

Location for price determination is also different for each person. Wesley Chapel may be far from downtown Tampa, but if you work at the new Hospital just North of the Wiregrass Mall, having a 5 minute drive to work can be a very good thing.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM

34 posts, read 52,127 times
Rent is temprary and owning is permnent

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa No Look View Post
No townhouse should be that expensive in Hillsborough County. What is it? Overlooking the bay/river?

If not, you're gettting hosed.
"Rent amounts" have some kind of configuration, I saw it some where awhile back and once it hits a figure depending on sq.ft. and demand, it goes that way across the board and investors/complexes n realtors love it, even though MOST people feel they are definitely over-paying as salaries are still LOW in this area. My kids $1000 for a box in Miami, but they have covered parking, security, concierge, pool and a night club on the roof in the DORAL area - so It's worth it, here a box in Tampa for $800 is in a run down complex, trashy with broken emenities/pools etc. that is what you get for the price.
So for the area seem reasonable for a NEW clean place,,, however, weren't some new towns/apts in that area, that had some kind of chinese drywall issues?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Hey, for $1500 in NYC you "may" get 200 square feet, and a bathroom that won't accommodate anyone over 90lbs in it! LOLOL so I still think you came up on top here.

"Owning" is not permanent...unless you plan on never selling your house, or being buried in your back yard. LOL I've seen homes with mini cemeteries in DC recently. Reston to be exact, so I guess on some level it can be "permanent"!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Actually $1500 is cheap. In parts of Lutz and LOL, Odessa etc rents are up to $3000/mo. $1900 for a very small 3 bedroom, without a tub in the master. Ridiculous. I get the "demand" thing, but the reason there is this "demand" is because people are unaware of the areas so they rent, or not aware it would be cheaper for them to buy. People got scared by the "you won't be able to sell" statement, and are stuck inflating rents. Technically "rent" should never be more expensive than mortgage...if it was then why rent? and loose more than $20k per year?
Thx for the info on the pricing around here. I had no idea. I always look at things as an owner, because that is what we prefer. At those prices, I wonder how anyone can get ahead....let alone tread water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay