Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times

Advertisements

so, things are starting to happen here in CT at a rapid rate, my home is being sold next month, and I am starting to interview for transfers with my current company, who has a big office in Tampa. About us, we are two professionals, in our 40's, wife is a nurse, so employment not an issue for her. No children...not that it matters but we are white, but accepting of others.

Wife has several friends who moved from up here to Wesley Chapel years ago, and love it. We are looking for a nice house, around $200k. We plan on getting a golden retriever shortly after relo if we do wind up down there. I posted earlier of a few areas but Wesley Chapel appears really nice from the research we have done online. I went to college in FL so know the lifestyle down there.

We are down to earth, not materialistic, I drive a 9 year old F150 lol. We just want somewhere safe to buy our next home, I know downtown Tampa has crime just like any other big city. We currenlty live in a superb suburb outside of Hartford, which is not nice either, but crime is virtually nonexistent in my town now....and we sleep well at night.

So looking for some insiders views, we live in a townhouse now, and will be looking for a free standing home. We know most if not all communities have an HOA fee etc, but that fee usually includes use of a pool, etc etc? We know it's hot in the summer , no worries there. I don't care if I never see snow again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
Your wife might want to research nursing jobs and compensation down here, because from what my wife says most of the RN/LPN jobs pay crap unless you work nights/weekends/overtime.

Also, you might want to start looking at homes in Wesley Chapel in your price range. You probably won't find much. This area is experiencing what in my opinion seems to be a mini bubble. Inventory is going fast. I've spoken with 3 reps from 3 different builders in the area and ALL of them are raising prices on homes that haven't even been built yet. Plus, most of the lots available are considered "premium" lots that have no rear neighbors/water view/preserve view, etc. Kind of ridiculous. I don't think the price increases can sustain themselves.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
There is HUGE demand for nurses here - the compensation may be a little less (or may not) but there is no income tax in FL so that will help. There is a beautiful new hospital in Wesley Chapel and there is also a Baycare facility in nearby Lutz that is quite nice. There are many facilities and pretty much all of them are short staffed for RN's and PRN's.

You should be able to find a home in your price range. It's true that prices on new builds have been going up and are quite unlikely to go down due to the lack of developed land but there will likely continue to be a steady flow of short sale and foreclosed properties coming on the market. Once you figure out where you want to be, just be ready to move quickly when you find something you like. Some communities will have a pool and some will not. Aside from Wesley Chapel there is an area called New Tampa (33647) just to the south however it is in Hillsborough County and the taxes are higher. Just to the west is Land O Lakes (34639) the east side of which is very close to WC and I-75/275.

We moved here a year and a half ago and love it. So far we have not seen any other part of the bay area that we would want to live in other than Wesley Chapel/New Tampa.

Best of luck to you....

Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
My wife is an OPerating room nurse, not a floor nurse so I'm sure she can find a job, currently she works in an eye surgery center, of which there seems to be plenty in that area...as far as salary yes she would probably take a step back but COL is also a little less. As far as homes we don't need a new home, but something built in the mid 2000's would be fine since they are cheaper for insurance purposes...seems to be quite a few homes in our price range, however also seems to be a lot of short sales which I don't want to get involved with. Yes I understand Florida is not nirvana, but has to be better than here

Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quail Hollow area of Wesley Chapel is a nice area also and near the new hospital that just did open.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Quail Hollow area of Wesley Chapel is a nice area also and near the new hospital that just did open.
There is a house for sale in that community area (over 200K though)... at least one person was killed in that house... I was wondering who would like to buy a house like that... 27154 RAVENS BROOK ROAD , WESLEY CHAPEL

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
IF WC is for you it depends highly on where you'll end up working, (for commute purposes), and also what else do you enjoy doing? assuming you are not moving down here just to work, and go home to go to bed. So, for example if you enjoy the beaches, you should probably look more into Pinellas, lots of hospitals there to choose from...is cookie cutter for you? or do you like more character? I think you should rent somewhere central first so you can actually explore all these areas on foot and get a true sense regarding various areas around here and which one is truly for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 AM

34 posts, read 52,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Your wife might want to research nursing jobs and compensation down here, because from what my wife says most of the RN/LPN jobs pay crap unless you work nights/weekends/overtime.

Also, you might want to start looking at homes in Wesley Chapel in your price range. You probably won't find much. This area is experiencing what in my opinion seems to be a mini bubble. Inventory is going fast. I've spoken with 3 reps from 3 different builders in the area and ALL of them are raising prices on homes that haven't even been built yet. Plus, most of the lots available are considered "premium" lots that have no rear neighbors/water view/preserve view, etc. Kind of ridiculous. I don't think the price increases can sustain themselves.
The lowest starting pay for RNs (LPNs are being phased out) is normally around $20.00-23.00/hr. If you call that crap pay then you are extremely rich and out of touch with us broke-as-a-joke nobodies......

They just opened a new hospital up in WC, to the south you have UCH (now FL Hospital) which is next to USF. Also next to USF is the VA center......on campus you have the Moffit Cancer Center.....just to name a few.

I sure hope WC doesn't start sky-rocketing their home prices......this is not the time for that......especially considering how saturated WC is with short sales and foreclosures.....

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa No Look View Post
The lowest starting pay for RNs (LPNs are being phased out) is normally around $20.00-23.00/hr. If you call that crap pay then you are extremely rich and out of touch with us broke-as-a-joke nobodies......
That's pretty bad for an RN position. And no, we're not rich by any stretch.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
That's pretty bad for an RN position. And no, we're not rich by any stretch.
Thats not bad for a 2 year or even 4 year degree, as a starting salary. A lot of positions with master's degrees start at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay