Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 13,629 times

Advertisements

I am originally from San Diego CA and have now lived in Kansas City MO for 15 years. I can no longer do the crazy and inconsistent weather, especially not the snowy winters. We visited Tampa back in 2010 and loved it. Humidity and all!! I am a LPN, my husband has his CDL and we have 2 children ages 9 and 11. I have researched several different websites for cost of living comparisons and most say that Tampa is cheaper than Kansas City! Go figure. I'm wondering how true this is, how is the nursing and trucking industries, should we wait a year or move now, how are the schools? I know I have a lot of questions but I just want to hear from people who live in Tampa now, and even from those who have lived in the midwest and relocated to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM

815 posts, read 980,772 times
I was raised in IL and lived there until I was 18, then spent a year in KCMO.
Then I moved to FL for 20 years, relocated back to IL 6 years ago and will be returning to FL this fall.
I like a lot of things about the midwest, but the weather is not one of them
I haven't lived in Tampa, but pretty much everywhere else in FL. Based on current research, I believe Tampa is probably one of the best places in FL to live. We're going back to north FL (Tallahassee area) because that is our comfort zone and we have some connections there.
Whatever you do, DO NOT base your ultimate decision on the feedback from this forum!
I've lived in FL, loved it (despite the heat and snakes and bugs and hurricanes) but sometimes I read the negative posts here and I think "OMG, why would anyone ever want to live there?!?!"
Then I remember that I *did* live there and I *do* want to go back.
As far as moving now or waiting a year, it depends on your finances. You'll need savings to move, but if you've got the money now, why wait? House prices ARE increasing.
Contact area hospitals and see what their hiring situation is.
Do your research. COL will probably end up being about the same once everything balances out (taxes, insurance, food prices, etc.)
Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Come on down the way homes are selling and they way prices are rising. Now would probably be your best bet. There are plenty of areas in the Tampa area that have really good schools. Being that you are nurse that is pretty much one of the only fields that you can practically get a job anywhere. I am not too keen on the trucking industry I am pretty sure there are jobs out there, But I personally don't know.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:11 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
We moved from Omaha to Tampa, we applied for this military job. I became pregnant just after we received our orders and it was the worst decision we made. I totally miss the midwest. We have 1 more year left here and we have requested to go back to Omaha. Its nice and all here, but I'm a midwest girl, I dont like it here at all (as far as the weather goes). Grass is greener, and all.

Side note, your username freaked me out at first since my name is Sandra and my husband's name is Rob. LOL.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
We originally did the opposite and moved from Tampa to Overland Park. Stayed there for 3 years before being transferring somewhere else. Wound up back in Tampa and couldn't be happier.

RNs are in high demand - lots of office type jobs for field and telephonic case management, ultilization review, etc. of course we have many many hospitals and clinics here as well. (incidentally our office is hiring an RN ).

Can't speak for trucking, as I am unfamiliar.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Thank you everyone for your words of advice. I have read a lot of opinions regarding Florida and the bugs, humidity, etc. We experienced that piece of it when we vacationed. So I'm not scared. LOL We will make a decision soon. Lease is up here in June. Tamatem, are you hiring for LPN's????? If so, let me know. I can get you my resume.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
I love the humidity!! One aspect of KS I will NOT miss is needing a humidifier in winter. UGH. My sinuses felt like they were going to explode :P

Right now we are looking for an RN to head up a nursing division, but it is possible at some point LPNs will be part of that, but as it stands now, I think they are just seeking RNs.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,242 times
I would imagine trucking in the area is fine since you have the Port of Tampa and Port Manatee here.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM

109 posts, read 325,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandarob View Post
I am originally from San Diego CA and have now lived in Kansas City MO for 15 years. I can no longer do the crazy and inconsistent weather, especially not the snowy winters. We visited Tampa back in 2010 and loved it. Humidity and all!! I am a LPN, my husband has his CDL and we have 2 children ages 9 and 11. I have researched several different websites for cost of living comparisons and most say that Tampa is cheaper than Kansas City! Go figure. I'm wondering how true this is, how is the nursing and trucking industries, should we wait a year or move now, how are the schools? I know I have a lot of questions but I just want to hear from people who live in Tampa now, and even from those who have lived in the midwest and relocated to Florida.

I'm originally from Indianapolis so understand your weather issues in KC! I originally moved to Daytona Beach and lived there almost 10 years and have lived in Tampa for 10 years. Personally I prefer Daytona but jobs are hard to come by there and I prefer smaller cities. Many questions to ask yourself, do you want to live in Tampa proper or the Tampa Bay Area? Tri-county area here is Hillsborough County (which is huge), Pasco County and Pinellas County (again it's huge). I drive all over all 3 counties so distances can be an issue. Traffic during peak drive times can make a 12 mile drive take an hour.

Rents for something decent expect to pay over $1000/month. You MIGHT get lucky and find something for less than that but don't count on it.

One plus is Florida doesn't have a personal income tax BUT sales tax is 7% and property taxes are higer as well. The biggest shock when I first moved here was the increase in auto insurance costs. They doubled!

Sign yourselves up on Monster for job searches and just for general purposes put 33602 as the zip code and do a 30 mile search area. That would encompass most of the tri-county area.

Good Luck and I'd be happy to provide more information about Tampa...

Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
I'm originally from Indianapolis so understand your weather issues in KC! I originally moved to Daytona Beach and lived there almost 10 years and have lived in Tampa for 10 years. Personally I prefer Daytona but jobs are hard to come by there and I prefer smaller cities. Many questions to ask yourself, do you want to live in Tampa proper or the Tampa Bay Area? Tri-county area here is Hillsborough County (which is huge), Pasco County and Pinellas County (again it's huge). I drive all over all 3 counties so distances can be an issue. Traffic during peak drive times can make a 12 mile drive take an hour.

Rents for something decent expect to pay over $1000/month. You MIGHT get lucky and find something for less than that but don't count on it.

One plus is Florida doesn't have a personal income tax BUT sales tax is 7% and property taxes are higer as well. The biggest shock when I first moved here was the increase in auto insurance costs. They doubled!

Sign yourselves up on Monster for job searches and just for general purposes put 33602 as the zip code and do a 30 mile search area. That would encompass most of the tri-county area.

Good Luck and I'd be happy to provide more information about Tampa...
Thank you for your info. I am definitely wanting and needing to stay in touch with people in the Tampa area. We are good with the Tampa Bay area as a whole but do prefer the city of Tampa and its suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay