U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM

237 posts, read 351,386 times

Advertisements

Hi, I found this website while researching and hoping the community might help me be more at ease with the possibility of a move.

I am looking to move from Charlotte, North Carolina to Tampa. I can transfer with my employer. Our household income will remain virtually the same and we have enjoyed a very nice level of income to cost of living here. For reasons I wont go into we no longer wish to remain.

- Household income is 140-150k and we would like to spend around 400k on a home.
- 2 adults, 3 kids (2 teenagers and a toddler).
- We would like a new home, we would like 5 bedrooms and a really nice pool. We really want a big family neighborhood, gated and master planned okay, we just want a place that will let our kids have fun in the neighborhood with other kids and be safe.
- 1 hour commute is okay, my office would be in the Seminole area.

Is this possible with our income? If yes, what towns do you recommend to look?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 PM

15 posts, read 15,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
Hi, I found this website while researching and hoping the community might help me be more at ease with the possibility of a move.

I am looking to move from Charlotte, North Carolina to Tampa. I can transfer with my employer. Our household income will remain virtually the same and we have enjoyed a very nice level of income to cost of living here. For reasons I wont go into we no longer wish to remain.

- Household income is 140-150k and we would like to spend around 400k on a home.
- We would like a new home, we would like 5 bedrooms and a really nice pool. We really want a big family neighborhood, gated and master planned okay, we just want a place that will let our kids have fun in the neighborhood with other kids and be safe.

Thanks.
For 400K, you'll find plenty of master planned communities around New Tampa area, WestChase, Fishhawk etc

Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM

877 posts, read 1,699,885 times
Quote:

Thanks.
We moved here from Charlotte. You can definitely find what you are looking for here, the issue will be the commute from the Seminole area. Fishhawk and New Tampa would be way too far.

Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor are strong possibilities. Five bedrooms might be hard though. I'm not sure about the commute to Westchase, but I think you would like that as well.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 PM

237 posts, read 351,386 times
How far is the commute from New Tampa to Seminole? I would be leaving my home by 7am.

I will check out the areas you recommend, thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,905,062 times
Quote:
How far is the commute from New Tampa to Seminole? I would be leaving my home by 7am.

I will check out the areas you recommend, thanks.
Over an hour. That would be crazy to do every day. I would look around St Pete, but your criteria might need adjustment.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM

4,556 posts, read 6,921,328 times
Isn't there a historic Seminole area where houses could be that size? From the forum I have heard several members say that area is nice.
Maybe somebody from there can tell you more about it.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM

693 posts, read 1,010,528 times
From my research the commute should be less then 1 hr from Lutz, New Tampa, LoL to Seminole if you are leaving your home by 7am. A commute of 1 hr door to door in any metro area is not absurd. The tools I used are google maps to determine distance in miles, types of roads and checking during rush hour and not during rush hour. I also used traffic cameras to see what time and where the traffic occurs. Coming down Veterans Expressway and over the I-275 bridge into Pinellas and then cross over to Seminole is about 45 miles from Lutz.

When people tell you it takes 1.5 hrs they are not correct, that would require an average speed of 30 mph, not going to happen during the peak of rush hour in my opinion on the roads you will be traveling.

There are practically no homes such as your looking for in anything south of Palm Harbor. Most everything will be at best from the 80's/90's and a bit dated. The reason, there is no land to build on, its either already been developed or is not buildable for some reason or another.

Keep in mind, on these forums you will generally get the glass is a half empty and instead of a person interested in hearing what you are trying to accomplish and based on their local experience what it will entail to accomplish it you will often get someone who based on their own lifestyle will question why you would want something that way.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-28-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM

877 posts, read 1,699,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post

When people tell you it takes 1.5 hrs they are crazy, that would require an average speed of 30 mph, not going to happen during the peak of rush hour in my opinion on the roads you will be traveling.
Some of us live in New Tampa and know how long it takes to get to downtown and the airport for work. Since it took me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to get to the airport I think it is safe to say that an 1.5 hour commute from New Tampa to Seminole is a strong possibilities on heavy traffic days.

OP, I think Westchase is what you want. It has the types of communities you are looking for and would keep your commute within an hour. Also check out Palm Harbor. Good schools and an easy commute.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM

693 posts, read 1,010,528 times
I think the key for being under an hour and having access to the new home communities of North Tampa (Westchase, Cheval, Lutz, LoL, even Connerton) is using Veterans Expressway prior to 7am instead of I-275/75/4 corridors.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,905,062 times
Please do offer opinions on travel times "after" you physically move here. After you exit 275 going towards Seminole you are no longer on a hwy, you are on a road with a bunch of stop lights, buses, trucks, retirees, motorcyclists zooming in and out of lanes etc.

We don't have autobahns here, and rush hour on Veterans moves at less than 20mph. Same on 275. It is only after you passed Waters Ave Toll plaza that things start to get closer to 55 on Veterans. I drive this road every day.

Generally on these forums you get maybe 4 people who actually live and travel these roads every day, and 90 people who don't even live here commenting on our traffic basing it on an online map that usually does not have accidents/toll plazas/construction work etc. on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
From my research the commute should be less then 1 hr from Lutz, New Tampa, LoL to Seminole if you are leaving your home by 7am. A commute of 1 hr door to door in any metro area is not absurd. The tools I used are google maps to determine distance in miles, types of roads and checking during rush hour and not during rush hour. I also used traffic cameras to see what time and where the traffic occurs. Coming down Veterans Expressway and over the I-275 bridge into Pinellas and then cross over to Seminole is about 45 miles from Lutz.

When people tell you it takes 1.5 hrs they are not correct, that would require an average speed of 30 mph, not going to happen during the peak of rush hour in my opinion on the roads you will be traveling.

There are practically no homes such as your looking for in anything south of Palm Harbor. Most everything will be at best from the 80's/90's and a bit dated. The reason, there is no land to build on, its either already been developed or is not buildable for some reason or another.

Keep in mind, on these forums you will generally get the glass is a half empty and instead of a person interested in hearing what you are trying to accomplish and based on their local experience what it will entail to accomplish it you will often get someone who based on their own lifestyle will question why you would want something that way.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-28-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay