Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM

10 posts, read 16,924 times

Advertisements

Well, we made the move to Tampa back in December! Gotta say that we love it!

For those considering a move here, I feel I should mention both the good and the not so good.

Traffic sucks, especially since I live in the New Tampa area off of Bruce B. Downs. But, I spent 7 years in California so this is nothing. I've never been bothered much by traffic.

Love the weather. I'm aware with summer looming its gonna get nasty. I'll take a nasty summer over a nasty winter any day.

The drivers are the worst! My car insurance premium literally doubled. But, again I've lived in Cali.

Super friendly locals. I've run into some cranky people...but they are everywhere. A-holes aren't exclusive to FL.

So much to do here! And, hubby loves USF and my 4-year-old will take advantage of VPK come August.

I wish this was a permanent stay for us. We've got a year left in this paradise and then it's off to the next stop. We are absolutely putting Tampa up high on our "last stop" list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Welcome Always! I hope you love our beautficul city as much in a year as you do now! But it sounds like you have the right attitude - nowhere is perfect so enjoy what makes it special! I'm going on five years now and am hoping that this is my last stop.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Glad you love it. We do too.

Next to Jersey/NY, the drivers here are the worst I have seen. Traffic is bad in some areas, not so much in others. Traffic where we are is extremely easy. Much worse toward the city, as you mentioned.

Certainly tons of things to do. IMO, if someone can't find something fun to do here very single day....they must be dead.

Weather is extremely subjective. I don't care for the cool to cold at times winter we had at certain points, but then again it beats the crap out of a N.E. winter....lol. Summers? I can't wait for that myself....but then again I do like the change of seasons here.....just not so much the winter on some days and loss of some foliage.....but then again at least it is incredibly sunny and if you are in the sun it feels better.

While no place is 100% perfect at all times, this is truly our Paradise.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystrying View Post

For those considering a move here, I feel I should mention both the good and the not so good.

Traffic sucks, especially since I live in the New Tampa area off of Bruce B. Downs. But, I spent 7 years in California so this is nothing. I've never been bothered much by traffic.

Love the weather. I'm aware with summer looming its gonna get nasty. I'll take a nasty summer over a nasty winter any day.

The drivers are the worst! My car insurance premium literally doubled. But, again I've lived in Cali.

Super friendly locals. I've run into some cranky people...but they are everywhere. A-holes aren't exclusive to FL.

So much to do here! And, hubby loves USF and my 4-year-old will take advantage of VPK come August.

I wish this was a permanent stay for us. We've got a year left in this paradise and then it's off to the next stop. We are absolutely putting Tampa up high on our "last stop" list
Nice to hear of another happy Tampa camper! I hope you get as much out of it as you can while you're there.

I will be moving down next year. To your point of living in California (thus 'preparing' you for any negatives), I live south of Boston and I can claim that as an area that has prepared me for anything, lol. I have alot of great friends up here but as a whole, talk about cranky people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Glad you love it. We do too.

*Next to Jersey/NY, the drivers here are the worst I have seen. Traffic is bad in some areas, not so much in others. Traffic where we are is extremely easy. Much worse toward the city, as you mentioned.

Certainly tons of things to do. IMO, if someone can't find something fun to do here very single day....they must be dead.

Weather is extremely subjective. I don't care for the cool to cold at times winter we had at certain points, but then again it beats the crap out of a N.E. winter....lol. Summers? I can't wait for that myself....but then again I do like the change of seasons here.....just not so much the winter on some days and loss of some foliage.....but then again at least it is incredibly sunny and if you are in the sun it feels better.

While no place is 100% perfect at all times, this is truly our Paradise.
*Ohhh Priiiius....you forgot to mention Boston! Actually, make that Providence TO Boston.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM

443 posts, read 558,540 times
Your insurance didn't double because of the drivers being "the worst," it doubled for various reasons, mainly the fact that 1 in 4 FL drivers doesn't have insurance, and you have to carry a P.I.P. rider on your policy as per state law. Oh and lots of fraud.

Check back in summer. That seems to tick off most of the newcomers eventually.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Your insurance didn't double because of the drivers being "the worst," it doubled for various reasons, mainly the fact that 1 in 4 FL drivers doesn't have insurance, and you have to carry a P.I.P. rider on your policy as per state law. Oh and lots of fraud.

Check back in summer. That seems to **** off most of the newcomers eventually.

This will eventually lead to people not switching license plates anymore, and even more uninsured people driving around.

I have seen people around here on daily basis for years now who never bothered to switch their license plates to Florida plates. Its is extortion, and people have had enough of it. Not our fault that others are uninsured, and they probably are uninsured because it is so expensive. Wages here don't warrant $400 per month payments for someone that might work at Target for example!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM

443 posts, read 558,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This will eventually lead to people not switching license plates anymore, and even more uninsured people driving around.

I have seen people around here on daily basis for years now who never bothered to switch their license plates to Florida plates. Its is extortion, and people have had enough of it. Not our fault that others are uninsured, and they probably are uninsured because it is so expensive. Wages here don't warrant $400 per month payments for someone that might work at Target for example!
Heh. Most snowbirds I know retain their FL registrations/plates to avoid taxes in whatever other state they live in.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Heh. Most snowbirds I know retain their FL registrations/plates to avoid taxes in whatever other state they live in.
Are you surprised?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystrying View Post

Welcome to Tampa! Hope you enjoy your time here, and thanks for stopping by to say "hi!"

Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Do you pay $400/month? I don't. I pay nowhere near to that for two cars with full coverage. Someone who works at Target probably has a liability only coverage that could be somewhere $50/month and nowhere near $400. If they have a car that cost that much to insure, which I doubt, well then the fact that they are working at Target is irrelavant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay