Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 AM

184 posts, read 328,603 times

Advertisements

My husband retired from the Marine Corps but has been contracting in Afghanistan for nearly 2 1/2 yrs now due to the lack of employment here. We currently live in North Carolina but he just accepted a position at the VA Hospital in Tampa. He will be home mid June and will start July 1st so we have a lot to do in a very short time! I have been researching the area and really like the Wesley Chapel area and my 16yo has her heart set on Wiregrass Ranch High. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like from there to the VA Hosp? Also, I am seeing all these houses for rent online with community pools and such but none of the listings say if the rent includes pool access. If not what are the average fees for that. I will be giving up my job so we are going to be on a very tight budget until I find employment. I feel like im 20yrs old starting out for the first time. I would be grateful for any information anyone has to offer as I have never even been to Tampa before. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Commute from Wesley Chapel should be not bad. Rent usually includes pool access as long at owner is up to date with his/her HOA.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Thanks EngGirl, Ironically I was born in Largo but moved when I was 2 and here 40 yrs later I have come full circle. My husband is still In Afghanistan so I am having to get this move together on my own. Excited, nervous, scared.....every emotion one can have I think I am experiencing every hour, lol.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
If you zoom in on the Wesley Chapel area if would take about 20-30 minutes to get to the James Haley VA Medical Center at the most. Depending on work start/stop times. The construction on Bruce B Downs North of I-75 is pretty much complete, but they are still working South of that. It is an easy drive (really only about 7 miles or so), but a little thick at times.

I am Retired Navy (26+ years) so if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask!

Your Monthly Rent SHOULD include pool access. Most of the time the owner has a key or card and just passes that to the renter.

Please tell your Husband THANK YOU FOR SERVING. And now he goes to work for the VA, that is awesome. My wife and I are both retirees and we both use the VA Medical Center. I think it is a noble career working for the VA and often think about possibly doing that myself.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Gulfer... thank you so much for your reply and may I add that I was active duty Navy years ago, yes i was a Corpsman when I met my Marine, lol! Most people assume because we are military that we are used to moves. We Transfered to MCAS Cherry Point from Hawaii, in 1999 on a humanitarian transfer due to a medical condition I had. We have been here since. I have 6 weeks to do all this and I am not ashamed to admit I am overwhelmed. My husband retired as an E-6 because he wasnt able to move duty stations due to my medical condition. We are on a very tight budget. I have budgeted in 120 a month for cable/internet, 200 a month for electric and 100 a month for trash and water. Is that reasonable? Also, whats the job market like there. I have been a 911 dispatcher for 10 yrs and I was hoping to get away from that and find a Mon thru Fri job. Your thoughts on all of this will be very much appreciated. I passed your thank you on to my husband but let me also say thank you to you and your wife!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM

We always lose good Sailors to Marines! I married a Sailor as we were both E-6's together back in the mid 90's. Don't worry about being overwelmed, I moved 14 times in my 26+ and know that each move has it's challenges and issues. Plenty of good advice comes from here if you can filter through what is important to you.

Your numbers are very reasonable. As an example, Verizon FIOS package is less than 100 for phone/cable/internet as a bundle. Some areas have cable/internet in the HOA fees, so it depends really on where you will live. 200 a month may go over a bit in the Summer (depending on size of house you rent) but should be lower for 6+ months (Oct-Apr/May), trash and water may be close. All in all I think good numbers.

I don't have a great handle on the job market as I have never really been out there looking personally. I have had clients that bought and moved to the area and found jobs immediately that were well above minimum wage. There are some that post here that feel every job available is minimum wage. I know that is not the case at all. The Wesley Chapel/New Tampa (33647 zip code) are pretty new and continually building. I haven't been out there looking for work but my wife and two daughters had no problems finding jobs. Our 17 year old is making minimum wage, but she is in High School. I recommend indeed.com or snagajob.com for local listings and also the County and City websites for job openings. I wish I could be more helpful there.

If you are looking for rental homes and want some specific information about an area, commute time, etc... please send me a direct message on here. City Data has rules about conducting business on the site so sometimes it takes direct messages from the person asking questions to get exactly what you want.

Try not to stress the move. It will get here quickly and you'll be ready. Then when one of Our Nations Finest comes home, you'll be moved in.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

19 posts, read 39,790 times
Thank you for this post Kaybri.

You mentioned how your budgeting everything before you move. Im trying to do the same right now. I plan on moving to St Pete. late July.

My question was about what you might expect to pay for electricity per month. Being that its so hot does anyone think thats its quite possible you will be using your AC year round? You mentioned your budgeting $200 a month for electricity and Gulfer said you may even go over this in the summer months. So I was wondering what size house you are looking to rent/buy and how that factors into your electric bill. Im trying to find a place in St Pete with all utilities included, fearing that the electric bill will be very high. How much do you think I should budget for a 1 br/ 1 ba place, in terms of Electricity??

Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM

stuckinohio - For your electric bill a lot will be determined when you are in the house. If you leave at 7AM for work and return about 5PM, you won't need to run it very much. If you have a night job and are in the house during the day, just the opposite.

I know a few people that there electric bill for a small 1 bed/1bath is less than 100 for 7 or 8 months out of the year.

I go months in the Winter without running the A/C but have used the heat. We are just coming out of the 'cooler' months. Our A/C has been going often now. But after 7PM we are just leaving the windows open and the house is cool enough.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 39,790 times
Thanks Gulfer.

Everything you just said makes total sense. I dont think Id ever have to run the heat. I live in Cleveland, Ohio and can survive in my apartment with no heat when its 40 degrees outside lol. But AC might be a different story..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay