Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question but I was curious how much of a difference there is between the Gulf waters and the Bay - such as for swimming, how clear it is, water temperature, etc..

Assuming all goes well, I will be living much closer to the Bay though I will be within reasonable driving distance to the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
This may be a silly question but I was curious how much of a difference there is between the Gulf waters and the Bay - such as for swimming, how clear it is, water temperature, etc..

Assuming all goes well, I will be living much closer to the Bay though I will be within reasonable driving distance to the Gulf.
There are some pseudo beaches in either side of the causeway, (Ben T Davis) and there is one on the gandy bridge on the Pinellas side. I think people use this more to jetsky, canoes, stand up paddle boarding that sort of thing since the water would be calmer than on the gulf, but if you are going to a beach you are going to end up on the gulf side.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
There are some pseudo beaches in either side of the causeway, (Ben T Davis) and there is one on the gandy bridge on the Pinellas side. I think people use this more to jetsky, canoes, stand up paddle boarding that sort of thing since the water would be calmer than on the gulf, but if you are going to a beach you are going to end up on the gulf side.
Oh, ok...that's good to know. I love to jet ski and kayak so I'm hoping to be able to do that a bit more. I've yet to try paddle boarding but it seems to be the new popular thing.

Thanks for the info

Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Couple of things to remember in the summer, there have alerts more often for bacteria/ run off etc. so always check to make sure the waters are safe in the bay.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Couple of things to remember in the summer, there have alerts more often for bacteria/ run off etc. so always check to make sure the waters are safe in the bay.
There are alot of "bays" and smaller inlets in Rhode Island (I live closer to these beaches than I do in Mass), of course on a much much smaller scale than Tampa Bay and we have to pay really good attention to the alerts. But I wasn't even thinking of that for Tampa.

I recall one beach I went to a few years back. My friend and I started wading in the water to cool off and we kept hearing a lifeguard's whistle but since we were only walking, didn't think it was directed to us. Finally, he came walking over to us to let us know swimming was not recommended due to the bacteria. There was only one small sign so we didn't see it. I can't tell you how many showers I took when I got home! ewww lol

Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post

There is no swimming in the bay part. Not a beach, there is something around there very small, but not considered a full fledged beach by any means. I wouldn't be swimming on the bay side.

Unless you live on Gulf to Bay blvd, your beach commute will be between 20 and 60 minutes depending on how further inland you get.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Unless you live on Gulf to Bay blvd, your beach commute will be between 20 and 60 minutes depending on how further inland you get.
That's pretty close to what I'm used to driving now for the various beaches I go to so that works for me!

Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed looking at all the places along the Gulf I want to visit but that will be a nice problem to have.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
There is no swimming in the bay part. Not a beach, there is something around there very small, but not considered a full fledged beach by any means. I wouldn't be swimming on the bay side.

what? there is swimming off the BAY.. Picnic Island by Macdill, Cypress Point Creek, (park), Bent T beach, Oldsmar has some little beach on south Shore... now I don't like this type of beaching BUT for a quick just gotta hang out and don't feel like the long drive out to the gulf - it will do.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what? there is swimming off the BAY.. Picnic Island by Macdill, Cypress Point Creek, (park), Bent T beach, Oldsmar has some little beach on south Shore... now I don't like this type of beaching BUT for a quick just gotta hang out and don't feel like the long drive out to the gulf - it will do.
I wish I knew the little beach I went to last time I was in Tampa. I didn't have much time before taking a bus up to visit my friend in Tallahassee but it was a $5 cab ride from the airport, on the south side of whatever main street it was on and the restaurant there is Whiskey Joe's. It was a decent size beach, clear water at least up to the knees but lots of little jelly fish.

Is there swimming at Vinoy Park?

Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
There is no swimming in the bay part.
WHAT????

There are LOTS of places where people swim on the bay part.

Sometimes I am just shocked at the misinformation put out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay