U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM

75 posts, read 172,165 times

Advertisements

So, I am from the north and wonder what it is like living in downtown St. Pete. The area I am referring to is defined by 375 to the north, 175 to the south and 9th street to the west (water to the east). Walk Score defines this area as the most walkable in St Pete. So, my questions, is this area truly walkable? Can you walk to grocery stores, restaurants, pubs, shops, etc. I do not mind a 1 to 2 mile walk at all.

Other questions;
How is the biking in the aforementioned area of downtown?
Is crime a concern in that area?
Is there a decent supply of housing? Single family? Townhomes and condos?

Thanks for your help and patience. Sorry, I am not familiar with St Pete so maybe my questions seem stupid, or obvious.

Thank you.
Tom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 858,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thitzler View Post
So, I am from the north and wonder what it is like living in downtown St. Pete. The area I am referring to is defined by 375 to the north, 175 to the south and 9th street to the west (water to the east). Walk Score defines this area as the most walkable in St Pete. So, my questions, is this area truly walkable? Can you walk to grocery stores, restaurants, pubs, shops, etc. I do not mind a 1 to 2 mile walk at all.

Other questions;
How is the biking in the aforementioned area of downtown?
Is crime a concern in that area?
Is there a decent supply of housing? Single family? Townhomes and condos?

Thanks for your help and patience. Sorry, I am not familiar with St Pete so maybe my questions seem stupid, or obvious.

Thank you.
Tom
It's pretty walkable. But downtown has mostly fun stuff. There is a grocery store (Publix), but for a lot of routine things, you may not find what you want downtown. Also, different people have different takes on weather and heat sensitivity, but, from June through early October, it is much too hot for me to walk a mile without sweating a lot. If you're moving from "the north," expect that will be your experience, too, let alone carrying groceries. So if the plan is to carry your groceries home in July, I'd recommend you live very near to the downtown Publix (which, by the way, seems to me like a great place to live).

Re biking, downtown marks one end of the Pinellas trail. http://www.pinellascounty.org/trailg...wn-St-Pete.pdf Lots of us non-serious bikers on beach cruisers in the parks along the bay, on the pier, in town, etc.

Bars/restaurants are focused on/around Beach Dr. from 5th Ave NE down to Central Ave, and then west on/around Central Ave until they start to peter out around 5th or 6th St. Most festivals/events happen over by the water, from Vinoy Park on down to Progress Energy field (which is possibly renamed now that Duke bought Progress...) where the Sat morning market is.

Lots of condos/apartments downtown; I don't think there's any single family, and few if any townhomes.

There's normal city petty crime. Lock your car at night, lock your doors/windows when you're away.
FYI, 4th St is a significant socio-economic dividing line on the east side of town, and the better part of the neighborhood is east (towards the water). Also, Central Ave was the dividing line during segregation, and southside remains significantly poorer than north side. If you miss the box you outlined, miss north not south.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Hey BBI, thanks for the great post . . . great info. And, although I was born and raised in the north and am currently here while in transit, I have spent 8 years in subtropical climates and adapt very quickly to the heat and humidity. SWEAT is not a four letter work. I like sweat!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 10,225 times
I just moved downtown from Atlanta. Best area to be for access to as much as possible. Big box stores are minutes away on 275, Ace and SweetBay on 9th/MLK, Fresh Market down on 4th. Lots of museums by the pier. Antiqueing/vintage shopping, less tourist bars and food on Central. 15 mins or less drive to St. Pete/Treasure Island/Etc. beaches.

There are great biking trails on old railroad lines and many of us ride all over. I gotta sweat off these Atlanta pounds I've gained since leaving Orlando 12 years ago! Ha!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Any day on 2 wheels is a good day! Keep at it!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,066,239 times
If you are biking for fun, there are a lot of scenic trails around.

If you are biking for necessity, please purchase a generous life insurance policy for your decendants. Tampa Bay drivers kill or maim bicyclists at a rate of about one a week.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Well, it's been about 3 days since the last time a bicyclist was run over. I guess we were overdue:

Bicyclist hurt in hit-and-run accident in Tampa | Tampa Bay Times

Be safe on that bike!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,051,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If you are biking for fun, there are a lot of scenic trails around.

If you are biking for necessity, please purchase a generous life insurance policy for your decendants. Tampa Bay drivers kill or maim bicyclists at a rate of about one a week.
It's really not safe to walk on the sidewalk. I think I remember reading about two pedestrians getting killed walking down Beach Drive recently. Biking is just suicidal.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 PM

736 posts, read 1,396,761 times
Oh brother...

It's totally walkable.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It's really not safe to walk on the sidewalk. I think I remember reading about two pedestrians getting killed walking down Beach Drive recently. Biking is just suicidal.
That was on the walking trail along Coffee Pot Blvd. The driver left the road and mowed them down.

I agree that nowhere is perfectly safe to walk/ride in the area -- the drivers will get you. Riding a bike in traffic is a death wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay