Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planing on moving across the earth from Norway to Florida but the problem is that I don't know **** about Florida. I'm most likely starting school there but the question is where. I have looked at schools in Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. I'm not familiar with big cities and I have never been to the United States AT ALL so if someone out there could help me to get to know Florida I would be so happy!

I am a person who needs to have everything in driving range and who likes to go out in the weekends and the place has to be gay friendly. Bc obviously I'm gay. So what do YOU recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
It wasn't obvious -

Maybe you should consider Miami or Orlando?

Selecting a university has a lot to do with your area of study - what will you be studying? Not all schools are created equal regarding specialties.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM

No probably not.

I want to study Business and Management so they all offer one or several different degrees in that area. I know both Orlando and Miami are big cities but Tampa and Jacksonville are very strange to me. All I know of this places is what I've seen on TV and that's not exactly something I want to base my decision on

Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 PM

You might consider Univ South Florida - St Pete campus.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Yes I've been looking at USF. That's in Tampa right? Are you familiar with Tampa?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:34 PM

USF isn't in walking distance to anything, really. But the USF-St Petersburg campus is. (USF has a few campuses other than in Tampa including Sarasota and St Petersburg). I can't tell you if there's a good Business/Management school there at St Pete or Sarasota.

Univ of Tampa is a good school, but tuition is more expensive than USF. The campus is very near downtown Tampa. I can't tell you about the gay situation in Tampa. I'm guessing it isn't as prevalent as St Petersburg or Sarasota.

All in all, all schools in the region aren't really near mass transit, so having a car is ideal here. I think Univ of Tampa would be a great school to attend if I did it all over again (I went to USF for a couple of years).

Tampa is a hot/humid place - beaches are closer to St Petersburg. Not sure what you're looking for - work can be difficult to find here. Suggest you search USF, University of Tampa on the search for this website (CDF) and you'll see discussion about the schools.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Just curious, how did you come up with Florida of all places? Did you throw a dart on a map and pick?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM

51 posts, read 89,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Just curious, how did you come up with Florida of all places? Did you throw a dart on a map and pick?
LOL...that's what it sounds like Personally I'm relocating to St Pete because of its gay-friendly vibe (among other things), having done a lot of research on Florida, and having been there a number of times. It's funny to me that someone from Norway would pick Florida *shrug* Curious about the reasons why, unless of course, it was a dart after all.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Realtors are not to "steer' people but since you are asking for Gay friendly places why don't you sign up for websites where "gay" people have the same interest and that way you probably can get better info.

I'm not gay so I never looked at websites like that but since nowadays you ahve websites for every subject I assume they must be out there.

When I was in San Diego I noticed areas where they clearly showed signs of where most gay areas are due to the "rainbow" flags waiving in certain areas where most of them hang out.

Because I'm from the country with the first gay marriages in the world, we had over there no specific areas where gays lived but we did have bars, etc. which were more promoted towards gay people so it may also be in Tampa and surrounding areas that people commingle and don't care where they live but hang out at certain bars.

Isn't actually great that so many people from different backgrounds commingle and due to the area or community you live most people already show certain type of similar interest otherwise they wouldn't choose to live where they live.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Several Universities have good Business Schools:

College of Business - University of South Florida

The University of Tampa - Tampa, Florida - MBA

http://www.saintleo.edu/academics/sc...-business.aspx

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-11-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay