Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

So we've got some time around Christmas off, and are toying with the idea of going on an antiquing road trip. We're currently into Mid-Century Modern )Herman Miller, Heywood-Wakefield, etc.) and were wondering if there were any larger secondhand stores in the Tampa-Sarasota area that specialized in that kind of thing. Big bonus if you aren't talking Los Angeles or Miami prices for that era.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
I hope you get lucky. I love that kind of stuff. I know that Squaresville (on Howard north of Swann in the Hyde Park area of Tampa) sells vintage furniture. I'd imagine they'd be a little pricey since that's a smug store and due to the whole "retro craze," but probably not as bad as LA or Miami. I believe there's a store called Yesterdaze on Florida in Seminole Heights that has vintage furniture, but I've never checked it out.

I'm trying to think of some places in Pinellas, but nothing comes to mind just yet. Sometimes you can find smaller trinkets and even chairs and lamps in thrift stores (independent ones, not Salvation Army or Goodwill), but you have to act fast when you find them there.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Good luck to you. We love that stuff too! It's rare to find those "name" pieces. Around here in Sarasota/Bradenton we occasionally luck into a find now and then, no name brand but very cheap from Goodwill and places like that. There are plenty of antique and furniture stores, but you will pay good prices for those desirable and collectible pieces.

I do believe there are a couple stores in St. Pete, but the names escape me now.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
I'm with you, I can't wait to get my hands on a solid condition Eames Lounge and Ottoman, plus a Noguchi table. I own a pair of Wassily chairs and a pair of Bertoia Diamond chairs, they are the apple of my design eye. I'm literally a block from Squaresville, the spot Ferret111 mentioned, and he's spot on. They have some nice stuff in there. Not name brand or easily recognizable works, but really solid mid cent mod stuff. Absolutely worth a visit, if you don't mind paying a premium.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM

338 posts, read 1,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So we've got some time around Christmas off, and are toying with the idea of going on an antiquing road trip. We're currently into Mid-Century Modern )Herman Miller, Heywood-Wakefield, etc.) and were wondering if there were any larger secondhand stores in the Tampa-Sarasota area that specialized in that kind of thing. Big bonus if you aren't talking Los Angeles or Miami prices for that era.

Thanks!
Furnish Me Vintage*|*Mid Century Modern and Danish Modern Vintage Retro Furniture, Art and Accessories
This place in St Pete has adds on Craigs List all the time. Their stuff looks pretty good.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
We gave in and bought a new Noguchi table this summer during one of those 15% off sales. And what kind of set us off on other types of vintage furniture was finding a total steal on a Hey-Wake dresser at an antique store that was going out of business up here.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 PM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
Man, all of us mid-century mod fans on City Data should get together. It's really awesome to know that there is a good number of us with the same interests here. While I mean no disrespect to the other commenters here, I've loved Ferret111 and GypsyChic's posts on CD, I dig them even more knowing we have this in common.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM

471 posts, read 1,660,680 times
Before we moved here, we came to visit and stayed in a little bungelow in Pass A Grille. For the entire week I would sit for long periods of time studying the signed Paul McCobb table and trying to figure out a way to ask the owner if he would sell it to me.
It's been awhile and I don't remember the name, but there was an Antique Shop on central in St. Pete that was loaded with retro and Mid-Century.

And estate sales can sometimes turn up little gems. I just got 2 great lamps a few weeks ago.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,169 times
I love mid century and Danish modern and I live in Miami ;(

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 AM

82 posts, read 180,061 times
Actually I know a guy who lives in South Tampa who has an antique furniture business. Don't know if he deals mainly in locating or has an inventory, but his name is Sean (813)205-1362
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay