Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I was just wondering how many of you will be willing to buy a house with confirmed and repaired sink
- I will consider buying it (upon passing the inspection) 1 2.56%
- I will consider buying it only for lower than asking price 5 12.82%
- I will not be willing to buy a house like that one 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I won't even consider a home next to a repaired sinkhole and/or a home down the street..Sorry, but there re other people who don't mind if the price is good and some investors will use it for rentals and get a nice return.
Thats true, the house that i was talking about with the reclaimed sinkhole had a lot of houses around it up for sale, in theory after the work is done with the steel rods and cement pumping it should be better than a house without a sinkhole, it becomes sinkhole proof, but yeah I still would steer clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Run. Run fast.
I am not considering spend that kind of money for sinkhole repaired home. The house I was refering to recently went under contract, so I guess low inventory is making people consider sinkhole houses

There is one house listed in Seven Oaks for $270 as a short sale, and that house has confirmed sinkhole, but never was repaired. It's on the market for at least 6 months I think (with second listing agent to the date) and no takers yet.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
So if you have a home in a neighborhood that had a sinkhole repaired with underpinning and grout and another in the same neighborhood that has not had any known sinkhole activity which would you choose?
If I am looking at homes and I find the perfect house in the perfect spot but the home has a repaired sinkhole then I would not have any problem at all buying it.

For those bringing up the house in Seffner, the percentage of sinkholes that cause death are miniscule, most just cause cracking and other cosmetic problems. More people in the U.S. die from lightning in a year than have been killed by sinkholes worldwide in the last 50 years.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM

552 posts, read 716,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
So if you have a home in a neighborhood that had a sinkhole repaired with underpinning and grout and another in the same neighborhood that has not had any known sinkhole activity which would you choose?
If I am looking at homes and I find the perfect house in the perfect spot but the home has a repaired sinkhole then I would not have any problem at all buying it.

For those bringing up the house in Seffner, the percentage of sinkholes that cause death are miniscule, most just cause cracking and other cosmetic problems. More people in the U.S. die from lightning in a year than have been killed by sinkholes worldwide in the last 50 years.
In the 20+ years Ive lived here the Seffner guy was the first I had ever heard of something like that happening. I have a feeling selling my house is gonna be a pain now because of that.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,176,334 times
I won't buy it unless it is cheap enough to justfiy it buying cash and renting it out.

What is the rush? I would wait until a house in places I want comes up for my primary residence. I will not also buy a house with high power line passing in their back yard. I passed many of those while house hunting.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I will not also buy a house with high power line passing in their back yard. I passed many of those while house hunting.
Why? I didn't consider houses like that only because of future resale value... Any health risks?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
There are some lawyers who are buying sinkhole homes and renting then out, so there must either be a good deal or they are stupid, I think it is the first one.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 AM

If the price for a house will cover all expenses associated with rent plus get some extra income it sounds reasonable. I guess location has something to do with rent aslo. I know few houses that were purchased under $150K in Wesley Chapel after sinkhole repairs as a rental properties.
Buying rental property is one thing, spending $300K for sinkhole repaired house to live there with your family is another story.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
There are some lawyers who are buying sinkhole homes and renting then out, so there must either be a good deal or they are stupid, I think it is the first one.
The rub is you would have to insure it, and for you to have a shot at insuring it, it would have to remediated. Renting a house without insurance with a sinkhole can open yourself up to a world of hurt, I guess if you are a lawyer at least you can represent yourself.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The rub is you would have to insure it, and for you to have a shot at insuring it, it would have to remediated. Renting a house without insurance with a sinkhole can open yourself up to a world of hurt, I guess if you are a lawyer at least you can represent yourself.
If you have liability ins. that may be enough since all homes without sinkhole coverage have "catastrophic ins" which covers if a huge hole opens up IF at least you get ins. since most sink hole homes will be bought cash and that doesn't require ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay