Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 18,513 times

Advertisements

So after reading countless apartment reviews and not finding a single one without masses of complaints about everything from scary neighbors, rude management, icky mold, thin walls and rampant crime theft, the most I hear about seems to be bugs! I also notice that a lot of places advertise "pest control" as an included "amenity" lol! What kinds of bugs are most common and how common of a problem is it really? I lived in Costa Rica for a year and saw my share of giant spiders and stung by many ruthless scorpions but I cant imagine that it is as bad as it sounds in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Roaches, cockroaches (the flying kind) and sugar ants are the most common pest in apts. Daddy longlegs spiders are often visitors too.

Some ppl have said they have seen scorpions but I have never seen one in all of the places I lived over 30 years.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM

22 posts, read 53,914 times
It's not as bad as it may sound. The only bugs I would truly worry about are termites. Get bonded. The other bugs are easily neutralized.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
I have seen a few palmetto bugs in my 4 years here. I also would worry more about termites. Fire ants are everywhere. You know where they are by the sand mounds. You will know when you have been bitten, though not life threatening. I have heard, you should be careful about stepping into shoes that you have not worn in a while for the tiny recluse (not sure of the spellig) spider. A neighbor of mine was hospitalized for a month and almost lost her foot because of the spider. They hide in dark spaces. We have termite and bug guys come out often to spray, so I don't really see many creepy crawlies inside my home. Mosquitos in the summer are bothersome. Not too bad. I too have heard there are scorpions, I have not seen any. I think they are probably more in the country.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
since I got in a bug service every other month I have never seen so much as a tiny sugar ant in my house. flying insects they are a diff matter - but screens keep them out generally.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 AM

190 posts, read 650,345 times
i would have to say the misquitos suck in the summer time. if you are outside late, they'll get ya. the love bugs during may and Sept will chew up the paint on the hood and bumper of your car.

i was bit by a spider and had to get medical treatment, but i usually don't see them around much. i did see a wolf spider at work one day sitting on a clip board. he was longer then it width wise, maybe 8-9 inches. i never seen one that big before, but they are around apparently...

Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 PM

203 posts, read 960,613 times
We have our house's walls(inside tubes) sprayed every 3 months and have not had a problem with any bugs in the house.

Though after reading the previous posts, I'm a little "scared" to put on old shoes

Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
In the several months we have been here, we have been surprised at the lack of bugs. We dine outside at restaurants a lot and can eat without any flies or other bugs buzzing around. We do many nature walks and never encounter any bugs. We also never have any bugs inside the house.

I'm thinking the constant seabreeze may keep some of the lighter flying bugs away.....maybe. We spray the outside of our foundation.....ourselves.....twice a year.

Quite honestly, most of the "tales" of horror I have heard about Florida have proven to be completely false.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Prius seriously? I think you got lucky...we were at Disney recently at Fort Wilderness where they usually try to keep all sorts of bugs away (like anywhere on Disney property there are no love bugs, maybe a few in the parking lot if that) and there were plenty of flies around...quite annoying. I doubt the owner of that car agrees with you...You got lucky...really...give it time, and visit places that are not right on the beach...

Quote:
Quite honestly, most of the "tales" of horror I have heard about Florida have proven to be completely false.
We have that too. Works great.
Quote:
We have our house's walls(inside tubes) sprayed every 3 months and have not had a problem with any bugs in the house.
Attached Thumbnails
How big of a problem are bugs?-img_9196.jpg  

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 AM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
I haven't had any issues with bugs since I've moved here...I think they're taken care of by all the snakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay