U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 35,678 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Looking for feedback and input on relocation! My husband and I currently reside near Cape Cod MA- he has his own construction business and I work in business operations. Combined we take home around 90k a year, but we have a 6 month old son and the rising costs of healthcare, insurance and daycare is quickly outpacing our ability to increase our income. With the healthcare situation in MA, my husband, who is the primary breadwinner, is finding it almost impossible to keep his small company going, and every year my health insurance and deductibles keep increasing. Currently, I'm paying $600 a month, plus a $1200 deductible for my health family plan, and that does not include dental or vision. Our daycare is $250 a week. We do own the smallest 2 bedroom home (!) in an area with a great school system, and with our knowledge of the area we have become quite the deal shoppers, and keep our bills for groceries (spend $150 a week on food that covers breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week. We don't buy lunch during the work week), clothing (mostly from good consignment shops), gas, etc. within our budget. Electricity runs us about $40 a month (use to be much lower, but being on maternity leave and having an infant at home caused an increase in usage), and since we have natural gas our bill averages $80 a month for heat and cooking. Our mortgage is small, only $1000 a month, and our car payments (2 cars) come out to around $500 while our auto insurance is around $260 a month. Like I said, schools are great around here, but many of our friends have moved out of state because of increasing costs, and although we were lucky to find a fixer-upper home within our budget, many people our age can't afford the the average home price of $300k. We are very outdoorsy, have a small boat, and enjoy all of the outside activities during the summer months, but the winters are horrible and we don't have the funds to visit restaurants that charge $30 for a steak and cater do the older more affluent Boston crowd that is becoming the norm in our area.

So why are we looking to relocate??? Recently I've been offered a position in St Pete at All Children's hospital. My salary would be around $50k/ year with my health insurance costs (including dental and vision) around $500 with a lower deductible! Also, the retirement package is much better then what I am getting now. BUT, my husband would have to start all over again. We do have family in the area and we have visited for vacations, but that's about the extent of our knowledge. The area in which the hospital is in is an area we like (historic NE I think it's called?) and we would rent hopefully a 2 bedroom for around $1k a month. The weather is definitely an upgrade and would suit our lifestyle. My obvious concerns are 1) what is job market like for trades people? Could my husband find something in the $30k range, doing maintenance or something like that? 2) Could we survive on $80k a year with an infant? 3) Although this particular job opportunity offers more then what I am receiving in MA, in the long-run is it a good decision to move my family to FL instead of staying in MA (schools, economy is a main concern)?

Thanks for your feedback!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM

15,895 posts, read 33,392,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVAMA View Post
Hi there,

Looking for feedback and input on relocation! My husband and I currently reside near Cape Cod MA- he has his own construction business and I work in business operations. Combined we take home around 90k a year, but we have a 6 month old son and the rising costs of healthcare, insurance and daycare is quickly outpacing our ability to increase our income. With the healthcare situation in MA, my husband, who is the primary breadwinner, is finding it almost impossible to keep his small company going, and every year my health insurance and deductibles keep increasing. Currently, I'm paying $600 a month, plus a $1200 deductible for my health family plan, and that does not include dental or vision. Our daycare is $250 a week. We do own the smallest 2 bedroom home (!) in an area with a great school system, and with our knowledge of the area we have become quite the deal shoppers, and keep our bills for groceries (spend $150 a week on food that covers breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week. We don't buy lunch during the work week), clothing (mostly from good consignment shops), gas, etc. within our budget. Electricity runs us about $40 a month (use to be much lower, but being on maternity leave and having an infant at home caused an increase in usage), and since we have natural gas our bill averages $80 a month for heat and cooking. Our mortgage is small, only $1000 a month, and our car payments (2 cars) come out to around $500 while our auto insurance is around $260 a month. Like I said, schools are great around here, but many of our friends have moved out of state because of increasing costs, and although we were lucky to find a fixer-upper home within our budget, many people our age can't afford the the average home price of $300k. We are very outdoorsy, have a small boat, and enjoy all of the outside activities during the summer months, but the winters are horrible and we don't have the funds to visit restaurants that charge $30 for a steak and cater do the older more affluent Boston crowd that is becoming the norm in our area.

So why are we looking to relocate??? Recently I've been offered a position in St Pete at All Children's hospital. My salary would be around $50k/ year with my health insurance costs (including dental and vision) around $500 with a lower deductible! Also, the retirement package is much better then what I am getting now. BUT, my husband would have to start all over again. We do have family in the area and we have visited for vacations, but that's about the extent of our knowledge. The area in which the hospital is in is an area we like (historic NE I think it's called?) and we would rent hopefully a 2 bedroom for around $1k a month. The weather is definitely an upgrade and would suit our lifestyle. My obvious concerns are 1) what is job market like for trades people? Could my husband find something in the $30k range, doing maintenance or something like that? 2) Could we survive on $80k a year with an infant? 3) Although this particular job opportunity offers more then what I am receiving in MA, in the long-run is it a good decision to move my family to FL instead of staying in MA (schools, economy is a main concern)?

Thanks for your feedback!!!
Just my own opinion, but based on what you posted, I think you can do just fine here. You will have a guaranteed job, and since your husband won't have to earn that much right away, can probably find something in the trades - the whole SW Florida area is starting to almost "boom" again construction wise. Old NE is a beautiful place to live and I think you will love it. St. Pete has miles of waterfront parks, a small but vibrant and beautiful downtown, and great beaches and a biking trail. At any rate $80,000 is plenty for a small family especially if you don't live an extravagant lifestyle. It is SOOO much cheaper in St. Pete than where you are currently living. And last, it's a bonus that you have family in the area. Good luck to you!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,732,735 times
The area in which the hospital is in is an area we like (historic NE I think it's called?) and we would rent hopefully a 2 bedroom for around $1k a month.

NOT sure you can find a 2 br for that price in Old NE. Been looking for months now Good Luck. If you want to exchange notes, dm me.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM

11,052 posts, read 9,834,388 times
Yes, I think you can absolutely do this! Good luck and welcome to Sunny Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay