Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times

Advertisements

While I love me some thunderstorms, people need to take these things seriously. Maybe she thought the thunderstorms would not make it to the coast......but even in that case you need to be careful as lightning can travel a great distance.

Woman struck and killed by lightning on Belleair Beach - WFLA-TV News Channel 8

"Woman struck and killed by lightning on Belleair Beach"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Far too many people lack the proper respect for these storms. I hear and see friends/acquaintances frequently stay out in the storms. I don't get it. If its thundering, I stay in unless I have to go out. It was terribly nerve wracking when I depended on public transit here!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM

119 posts, read 208,887 times
Its so sad! And I have seen so many people out playing in a storm, but if it rains, watch out ..... they will run inside then. ???? Prayers for her friends and family.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Florida is "America's lightning capital"... Over 60 reported deaths within last 10 year. So much for paradise

Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlsmom2 View Post
Its so sad! And I have seen so many people out playing in a storm, but if it rains, watch out ..... they will run inside then. ???? Prayers for her friends and family.
Just last week i was scoring a men's softball game from the comfort of an enclosed wooden structure when in rolled a nice little storm. It was so cloudy you couldn't see the lightning except for la quick dull flash of light. They kept playing just to get 5 innings in. No game is worth risking getting struck but the point its no one takes it seriously enough.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Florida is "America's lightning capital"... Over 60 reported deaths within last 10 year. So much for paradise
Actually, lightning is a very important part of it being paradise for "me". I absolutely love thunderstorms. Can't wait to have them daily. As far as the death is concerned, people die from all sorts of things that can be considered fun. People just need to use common sense. I feel bad for this person, but maybe she was told some foolish thing about storms not making it to the coast this time of year and actually believed it.......and look what happened. Sometimes you just have to use common sense and get information from actual professionals.

Also, you may want to get an understanding of what paradise is. You seem to think paradise means everything is 100% perfect all the time and nothing bad ever happens.

And I am not quite sure why you put a smiley face after stating people get killed. That makes you happy???

Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
It is sad but many people do not understand that lightening can hit even if the skies are not overcast. I remember a guy who was jogging on the Courtney Campbell and the storm was actually over in Clearwater area, he was struck by lightening.

We were once on an island off of Dunnedin on our hobie cat when a storm came up fast. We ended up turning our boats on the side so the metal mast was on the ground. Thunderstorms are something that everyone needs to be aware of if you live in FL

Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
It is sad but many people do not understand that lightening can hit even if the skies are not overcast. I remember a guy who was jogging on the Courtney Campbell and the storm was actually over in Clearwater area, he was struck by lightening.

We were once on an island off of Dunnedin on our hobie cat when a storm came up fast. We ended up turning our boats on the side so the metal mast was on the ground. Thunderstorms are something that everyone needs to be aware of if you live in FL
Yep. Lighting has a far reach. With hurricane season starting soon, this is a great time for people to get a refresher on precautions.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yep. Lighting has a far reach. With hurricane season starting soon, this is a great time for people to get a refresher on precautions.
Is there a good link for this? I saw a show recently that said how far lightning can reach but I forget. I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am but isn't it if you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
Always told people it's not the rain I'm worried about, it's the lightning. No joke in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay