Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

34 posts, read 40,779 times

Advertisements

I'm posting for a friend/roommate. We tried to sign her up, but due to our slow internet connection, the capcha image wasn't being displayed. Thank you for your understanding. - Dale

------------------------------------

Hello. My name is Heather

Need advice on who to talk to about employment compensation

I have been working for a gentleman who owns a bar for a little over a year. the bar is currently failing miserably, and in march he approached me and asked me to be his GM and offered me a 15% stake in his business. i worked everyday for five weeks, 14 hours a day as a GM to get his finances and business in order. prior to that i was his night manager and full time bartender. he had originally asked for a monetary deposit towards the business. i was unable to provide such a request, so instead he and i agreed with witnesses that i would work for free, with the understanding that the normal pay he would be required to give me would be used as an investment towards the business. my husband also came to work without compensation with the same agreement, along with another bartender. now a few weeks ago, he decided to let us all go, and is now refusing to acknowledge the fact that he owes us anything. it is my belief that his finances are so bad right now that he has no choice but to ignore facts for his own personal gain. to this day i have not been paid as a night manager, bartender or GM. i have received no compensation for anything, as well as the remainder of the current employees who are weeks or months behind in pay. i have numerous emails, and even a video he recorded for the employees explaining that i would be the new manager with options in the business. can anybody help steer me in the right direction? where should i go, fair housing and employment or should i contact a lawyer to help with the sweat equity? any help will be appreciated.

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
You need a lawyer

Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Thank you for your quick reply. Can you please advise which type of lawyer or recommendations?

Heather

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beggersrun View Post
I'm posting for a friend/roommate. We tried to sign her up, but due to our slow internet connection, the capcha image wasn't being displayed. Thank you for your understanding. - Dale

------------------------------------

Hello. My name is Heather

Need advice on who to talk to about employment compensation

I have been working for a gentleman who owns a bar for a little over a year. the bar is currently failing miserably, and in march he approached me and asked me to be his GM and offered me a 15% stake in his business. i worked everyday for five weeks, 14 hours a day as a GM to get his finances and business in order. prior to that i was his night manager and full time bartender. he had originally asked for a monetary deposit towards the business. i was unable to provide such a request, so instead he and i agreed with witnesses that i would work for free, with the understanding that the normal pay he would be required to give me would be used as an investment towards the business. my husband also came to work without compensation with the same agreement, along with another bartender. now a few weeks ago, he decided to let us all go, and is now refusing to acknowledge the fact that he owes us anything. it is my belief that his finances are so bad right now that he has no choice but to ignore facts for his own personal gain. to this day i have not been paid as a night manager, bartender or GM. i have received no compensation for anything, as well as the remainder of the current employees who are weeks or months behind in pay. i have numerous emails, and even a video he recorded for the employees explaining that i would be the new manager with options in the business. can anybody help steer me in the right direction? where should i go, fair housing and employment or should i contact a lawyer to help with the sweat equity? any help will be appreciated.

Heather
Unfortunately, if he's in that bad a shape financially it will probably be very difficult to collect any money. If he has any assets you MIGHT be able to put a lien on whatever he owns of any value. You should find a business lawyer to give you advise. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Hello Not_liking_FL, and thank you for your reply. Here is where it get's confusing. Please bear with me:

Myself and 2 other employees were terminated on May 13th, 2013, a little more than 2 weeks ago. The bar owner sublets a house that I and the other 2 former employees currently live in. This arrangement was part of the agreement. He (NOT the property owner) has served us a 'Three-day Notice to Tenant Demand for Payment or Possession' and demands either $1600 or us to vacate the premises by May 29, 2013, which is today. The rent here is only $650 a month (not including utilities) and it appears that he is demanding the rent for the period that we were employed. We have no desire to vacate the property, and have already transferred the utilities to my name. If we could find the property owner, we might be able to negotiate a deal with him. Searching Property Appraiser for this address does tell us who the owner is, but not his physical address ... only his P.O. Box. We need to contact him immediately due to the fact that it is the end of the month, and we are feeling lost on how to get started, but are itching to proceed with the necessary steps.

I understand that getting money from him may be difficult, however what do you think the chances are that we will be able to at least squeeze compensation for rent for the amount that is owed, which between 3 former employees is well over 6 grand? We are not trying to get a penny more than what is owed to us.

On behalf of myself and the other two former employees, I really thank you for any input you and/or others can give.

-Heather

Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beggersrun View Post
Hello Not_liking_FL, and thank you for your reply. Here is where it get's confusing. Please bear with me:

Myself and 2 other employees were terminated on May 13th, 2013, a little more than 2 weeks ago. The bar owner sublets a house that I and the other 2 former employees currently live in. This arrangement was part of the agreement. He (NOT the property owner) has served us a 'Three-day Notice to Tenant Demand for Payment or Possession' and demands either $1600 or us to vacate the premises by May 29, 2013, which is today. The rent here is only $650 a month (not including utilities) and it appears that he is demanding the rent for the period that we were employed. We have no desire to vacate the property, and have already transferred the utilities to my name. If we could find the property owner, we might be able to negotiate a deal with him. Searching Property Appraiser for this address does tell us who the owner is, but not his physical address ... only his P.O. Box. We need to contact him immediately due to the fact that it is the end of the month, and we are feeling lost on how to get started, but are itching to proceed with the necessary steps.

I understand that getting money from him may be difficult, however what do you think the chances are that we will be able to at least squeeze compensation for rent for the amount that is owed, which between 3 former employees is well over 6 grand? We are not trying to get a penny more than what is owed to us.

On behalf of myself and the other two former employees, I really thank you for any input you and/or others can give.

-Heather
You need to call a lawyer today. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he needs to give you more than three days notice.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Once again, a sincere Thank You.

Now that you know a few more facts, would you still suggest a 'business' lawyer? (sorry I didn't mention these in the original post and don't wish to go on and on about things)

-Heather

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM

I would try to get your living situation taken care of first. Find a lawyer who specializes in real estate law.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM

Thank you!

-Heather

Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Tell him that he needs to evict you if he wants you out, that would take time and money and when you go to court plead your case. I would say you might be in there a couple more months if you force him to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay