Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Errrrr.....does the guy have an agenda much.....LOL

I am not even trying to debate the pros and cons of Tampa. I am just referring to his perspective, based off of certain things he stated.

I think it is obvious what he is.
You can argue his conclusion but not the points he made. Tampa was one of the worst hit in the foreclosure crisis, downtown is fragmented and ill conceived. You can't deny upward mobility here is an issue. The tea party thing goes hand on hand with the lack of developing public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
I am very suspicious as to why this elitist journo zeroed in to pick on Tampa. There were many many cities and states hit hard by the crisis. So why Tampa?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am very suspicious as to why this elitist journo zeroed in to pick on Tampa. There were many many cities and states hit hard by the crisis. So why Tampa?
Political. He is a loon from way way way out in left field, so Tampa was a natural calling to him to bash.

Again, I am not arguing pros and cons of Tampa here. Heck, I never want to live in Tampa for my "own" reasons. However, what he is is obvious. He did not even try to hide it. Now all those who have his leaning will of course fall in line, because that is what extremists do.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
My guess is our demographics make us an easy target. Tampa is truly diverse, as opposed to Detroit, for example.

The self-satisfied elitist facade is beginning to crack, since their own cities are turning into cess-pits, but they don't dare say why, because that would be an admission of their gross failures. Look at Chicago. Check out the story about human waste in the San Francisco public transportation system. A lot of the trouble in these cities is not reported in the MSM, or heavily suppressed. The less well-paid elitists spent years, decades, licking the posteriors of those they thought were all the right people and they're in danger of getting thrown under the bus just like everyone else. So they're bitter. And I'd be willing to bet, that for all our own problems here in Tampa, it's NOTHING compared to what's going on in their cities. Pointing at Tampa deflects a good look at their home turfs.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Political. He is a loon from way way way out in left field, so Tampa was a natural calling to him to bash.

Again, I am not arguing pros and cons of Tampa here. Heck, I never want to live in Tampa for my "own" reasons. However, what he is is obvious. He did not even try to hide it. Now all those who have his leaning will of course fall in line, because that is what extremists do.
A lot of us with some of his leanings have been griping about the same things long before he did, so I wouldn't call that "falling in line". It's ironic that someone of your leanings would call others "extremist".

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM

99 posts, read 146,544 times
The funny part is, just in the past 2 days Tampa made some very notable lists.

Tampa was named by Bloomberg Businessweek as being the 34th best city in the country, the only city that made the list from the state of Florida. (America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek)

And today, Tampa theater was named the 3rd best theater in the world (10 of the World’s Best Movie Theaters | The Credits)

Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Regarding my reply above about the elitist cities turning into cess-pits, make that OVER-TAXED cess pits. Probably burns his naked patootie that Tampa (and Hillsborough County) are remarkably OK financially unlike other areas. Pretty neat trick for an area that got hit by the ugly stick during the downturn, wouldn't you say? And I also see that the guy noticed our diversity, and I find it interesting that he described it as "uneasy". Really? How would he know? Let him go to Chi-town and he'll find out what "uneasy" really is.

He must've had a bad meal when he was down here to stir the pot.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You can argue his conclusion but not the points he made. Tampa was one of the worst hit in the foreclosure crisis, downtown is fragmented and ill conceived. You can't deny upward mobility here is an issue. The tea party thing goes hand on hand with the lack of developing public transportation.
I agree. Tampa and the entire region has grandiose plans for stadiums, artsy piers, concert halls but the jobs in the area haven't changed, the pay hasn't changed, the housing bubble is inflating again with the return of the flippers, the whole economic model is still based on low wage service jobs and "growth" (growth meaning purely cramming more people into an ever shrinking area). Construction, which employed thousands, is stagnant to the point of being non-existent and if and when it ever returns, it's not going to be as it once was. The entire industry (especially housing) is now dominated by low wage, disposable migrant labor. That is a fact.

I'd like to say that a lesson was learned during the recession about diversifying, but it doesn't appear so. Either way, Baghdad is hell on Earth, not Tampa.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM

And, as much as Carriage Pointe was a disaster, compare and contrast the photo of a rather neat, if cookie-cutter looking subdivision with some of the bombed out areas of the elitist cities, lol.

I like to envision this guy wandering around here in the heat, his face turning purple and muttering to himself " I. MUST. Find. Something. Wrong." Oh, wait, I remember the guy, he panhandled me in Ybor, lol.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Regarding my reply above about the elitist cities turning into cess-pits, make that OVER-TAXED cess pits. Probably burns his naked patootie that Tampa (and Hillsborough County) are remarkably OK financially unlike other areas. Pretty neat trick for an area that got hit by the ugly stick during the downturn, wouldn't you say? And I also see that the guy noticed our diversity, and I find it interesting that he described it as "uneasy". Really? How would he know? Let him go to Chi-town and he'll find out what "uneasy" really is.

He must've had a bad meal when he was down here to stir the pot.
How can you possibly compare Chicago and Tampa? If you want to talk diversity, talk about Chicago. I've never felt uneasy in Chicago, you know why? I stay out of the bad neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay