U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM

31 posts, read 142,993 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is in the process of looking for a new position (banking) in the south, southeast areas of the US.

Are commute times in Tampa just horrid (specifically to the downtown area)? Schools are important for our children, (ages 11, 7 & 5). Would of course love to be in a safe area obviously as well.

Can any one suggest a good area that might meet the above?

Thanks for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:23 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,115,637 times
It all depends on where you live and the hours you work in Tampa how bad your commute would be to downtown. Live in S. Tampa your commute would be 15-30 minutes, live in New Tampa and you are looking at an hour or more.

Not sure what type of job your DH is looking for but most bank centers in Tampa are not located downtown.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,283 times
Valrico is great place to live with great schools and the commute to Tampa again depending on the hours could be 30-45 minutes on the crosstown.
Good luck with your move and home search.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 AM

192 posts, read 1,095,364 times
I'll second the south Tampa opinion. A trip from my south Tampa home to downtown Tampa is 7 to 8 minutes along Bayshore Blvd which is a beautiful scenic waterfront thoroughfare that ends at the foot of downtown.

By the way, this morning I saw a nice (looked to be 1200 to 1500sq foot home on a nice street in south Tampa for 245k. I think the prices have moderated quite a bit from their highs.

Good luck in your search! Tampa can be a very nice and safe place to live if you avoid the urban core.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 35,343 times
Personally, I think the commuting times are average for the size of Tampa/ distance travelling-- not horrible. Timing is everything, though. I used to leave a little earlier than I needed to to get to my downtown job and saved myself a lot of traffic time & had a little personal time for reading/coffee/whatever before work. Expect 30 minutes to an hour average depending on your location-- of course, you can always live closer or farther than that. Overall Tampa is safe. I grew up here & never have felt unsafe. There are some really great neighborhoods being developed too, with that "old neighborhood--front porch" feel.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,422 times
Not sure why you have to be downtown. Land o Lakes has all "A" rated schools which is the best. Every corner has several banks. Community has park and library and is very close to major hgihways. I can get downtown in 20 minutes. Also the taxand insurance is half of that downtown. My taxes have actually gone down the last 6 years.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Keeper; 12-18-2007 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: You can not advertise your house for sale here.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM

127 posts, read 397,064 times
20 minutes from Land o Lakes to Downtown??? Maybe by helicopter...

If your husband is working downtown and you can afford it, South Tampa is your best bet. Less than 10 minutes to downtown in moderate traffic, great neighborhoods and great schools.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 AM

37 posts, read 208,721 times
What determines a great school?

First of all, a Florida 'A' means absolutely nothing about the quality of education in comparison to other cities and states. I view these grades solely as a way to tell me when there's something really wrong with the school.

In general, Tampa schools are substandard. Why can I say that?

One, the independent national education rankings of the states put Florida at the bottom of the list all the time. That's just insane and shows that the efforts in Florida education are misdirected and lag behind the efforts in other states...which generally severely lag behind the global competition.

Second, my direct observation of my New Tampa 'A' school was that the bar was so ridiculously low, it was sad to see those kids being short changed. But my bar is very high given my child's educational history in another state(private school and then a public school which is on the "excluded because it's too good" list of the national school rankings because it has highly selective admissions - IQ and other tests to get in).

And there really needs to be a distinction between someone that's only experienced Florida education and someone that's moving from a different area.

If the family is coming from a weak school system or from a weak school in a good system, then they might be happy with their Tampa school.

The saving grace in Tampa at the high school level seems to be the IB programs, but I have no direct experience with those since we are dealing with Middle School right now. And of course there are some nationally ranked high schools in Tampa that seem to have the stats to place them on those lists...but those stats are over simplified to say the least and can be manipulated by the schools by pushing AP courses to improve their ranking.

I'm not saying I know every elementary, middle and high school in Tampa. All I'm saying is that people moving to the area need to evaluate the quality of education their children are receiving in the home city/state and NOT MAKE ANY ASSUMPTIONS about how that will compare to Tampa. Do your homework HEAVILY about the schools before moving here.

Educational quality and lack of a quality job market (my masters degree, superb references wife is STILL looking for a job after 5 months) are things people with young families seriously need to think about before moving here.

Sorry if I offended anybody. Nothing gets fixed unless you talk about it honestly.

Last edited by Iroh; 01-04-2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 AM

849 posts, read 3,279,749 times
Default St.Pete thriving

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden22 View Post
Hello! My husband is in the process of looking for a new position (banking) in the south, southeast areas of the US.

Are commute times in Tampa just horrid (specifically to the downtown area)? Schools are important for our children, (ages 11, 7 & 5). Would of course love to be in a safe area obviously as well.

Can any one suggest a good area that might meet the above?

Thanks for any input!

St. Pete has Bank of America and Suntrust downtown. Just a little ways north in Clearwater is Franklin Templeton and others in nice corp. parks.

Commute times are impossible and even if you can afford the nice, safe areas close to "downtown" where his only option would be Regions, there is very little shopping. I don't know the middle school for that area. Well it's Woodrow Wilson but I don't know it's rep. Plante HS is the best in Tampa proper it's in that area. Someone on this forum is suggesting Bayshore Blvd. Sure if you have a couple of mil for a house or 3-4K for a large condo. It is truly one of the most beautiful old residential streets anywhere. Shopping in the area reflects the economic profile. Teh down side aside form money is the roar of military jets as they head for MacDill AFB (cencom for Iraq ops) and when it floods. It is a Cat. 1 evac zone. Sometimes it doesn't even take a hurricane to make Bayshore impassible. We get use to the trade offs but if hurricanes spook you, it's not the area for you.

One thing about St. Pete is that we are going to a neighborhood school plan next year. The magnets and charters won't be affected. There are many good private schools in the area but if you live near them in Tampa, hubby's commute in Tampa will be terrible. Even if you live on the St. Pete side of the bay, his getting to downtown Tampa will be easier than from the good parts of Tampa/Hillsborough Co.

For the person suggesting Valrico. Nice good schools by Florida public standards (my husband subbed in them) but totally suburban. Shopping is all strip malls and big box retail. If that's your cup of tea, It'll be fine. A bit of a schlepp to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or