Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM

126 posts, read 218,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yes it would be really bad for Pinellas...if and when it happens...but I rather take my chances living here then in central Florida...we have great insurance and you get plenty of warning...gotta take the good with the bad...
Is it because the gulf side is better than central Florida or because central Florida gets storms too? We chose to live near the gulf based on atmosphere and proximity to beaches. I hear central FL and northern FL get more tornadoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
The thing is, every year they come out with these articles about being "overdue" for a hit. That means nothing - no place is "overdue" for anything - there could be a hit this year or go 100 years without - it's all up to Mother Nature, really.

Yes, we all know it will be really, really bad if the area gets a direct hit. It's even bad with indirect hits. But one takes their chances with something everywhere.

After living my entire live in Florida, specifically all over the Tampa Bay area (now in Sarasota) I pretty much decided unless one can leave REALLY early and has someplace out of state to go to, there isn't much point in trying to go anywhere. Roads come to a standstill, people get stuck in their vehicles in the bad weather and then run out of gas - a real nightmare. And sometimes storms change track, like in 2004 when they hit over the center of the state where everyone was trying to go! Our house while old, is very well built, low concrete with stucco, and a real roof (no trusses). We also have thick, double acoustic windows, not exactly hurricane but far better than what most people have. Our biggest issue is we are in a flood zone, so storm surge could be bad. As always, hoping for the best this year.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
[LEFT]Since then the Bay Area's population has exploded by 1,300 percent, with more than 4 million people in the Tampa metropolitan area, which includes St. Petersburg, Clearwater and Sarasota.
Because of that, the evacuation time in the event of an approaching category five hurricane is predicted to be 68 hours.

Read more: NOAA: Tampa tops most vulnerable and overdue hurricane cities list

So plan way ahead.. the storm surge is the worst for anything near the ocean- your place simply washes away. Alot of people complain about leaving and it's a DEADLY mistake. You must decide how far away you are from possible death or injury and plan accordingly. Clearwater has some very high places, but the bridges get closed and I would not trust RT#19- to get me out once the rains starts,,, alot of low areas- best bet central Fl. I hope nothing ever occurs, but not up to man. [/LEFT]

Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama View Post
Is it because the gulf side is better than central Florida or because central Florida gets storms too? We chose to live near the gulf based on atmosphere and proximity to beaches. I hear central FL and northern FL get more tornadoes?
It's just the downside to living near the water...I'm not sure about tornadoes in central fl...I'm sure they occur like we sometimes get funnel clouds around here...really if mother nature sets you in her sights anywhere can be dangerous...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
unless one can leave REALLY early and has someplace out of state to go to, there isn't much point in trying to go anywhere. Roads come to a standstill, people get stuck in their vehicles

So true!
Too many people get on the roads at the last minute.
Right before Wilma hit.. I remember hearing on the radio that the turnpike was a parking lot, cars were out of gas, and what was normally a 30 minute drive took 4 hours.
People just don't get you can't have "getting in your car and driving away" as your hurricane plan.
UNLESS you leave before they're still not sure exactly where it will make landfall.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
So true!
Too many people get on the roads at the last minute.
Right before Wilma hit.. I remember hearing on the radio that the turnpike was a parking lot, cars were out of gas, and what was normally a 30 minute drive took 4 hours.
People just don't get you can't have "getting in your car and driving away" as your hurricane plan.
UNLESS you leave before they're still not sure exactly where it will make landfall.
There are members here on this forum (I wont name names since people are so huffy about that stuff) that seem to think that hurricanes are no big deal. One member even said that they wont even bother to stock up because they'll drive to the store since the store will have generators going. *headdesk*

I'm a prepper in training... not for end of the world, but for any situation. We currently have about 10 #10 cans of veggies and stuff to eat and 2 cases of bottled water. Only thing i'd be screwed on is diapers, since we cloth diaper, we'd be hosed. Though, I suppose I could tie them to something outside and let the rain wash it. *snort*

Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
have about 10 #10 cans of veggies and stuff to eat and 2 cases of bottled water.
I stock up on stuff like this every spring.
That way, if/when a storm comes, I'm ready.
And if hurricane seasons ends with no storm.. then I have my veggies and what not anyway!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM

25 posts, read 62,809 times
After having friends whose truck ran out of gas on the highway because it was a parking lot, unloaded horses and rode out ahead of Katrina (no, they didn't make it far, but just far enough to deal with rain and wind), my plan depends on what cat. the storm is. 1-2, we'll stay at my parents home on the intracoastal with the generators and stilted hurricane ready house (because it's bigger than mine even though we're in a non-evac home). Anything over that heading our way, we'll be flying out private to visit friends in the mid-west.

I lived in Boca the year that a couple of cat 2's hit. Lot's of flooding, wind and rain. We were stocked up and not in flat ranch house, neither of them was a real big deal. Tornadoes in Ohio and Texas were worse than those hurricanes. Each one was different though so, I'm not sure anyone is ever "ready" enough for the unpredictable weather.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
I endured Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I will not be caught off guard. I will be prepared with everything I need to do and was told to do. We have an evacuation plan. I have flood and homeowners insurance.

I know first hand what catastrophe is like and I don't want any part of it. When I was in Miami in 1992, it had been 60 years since the area was hit with a major hurricane and many people took it for granted. They were devastated.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
I only have a cell phone (no landline) so before Sandy, with losing power imminent, I made sure it was charged all the way and I am looking into buying a couple batteries as backup.

Also, as common sense as this is, I never thought to do this until I heard a news station recommend it as part of the preparedness. Take heavy duty ziploc bags (I use the large ones), fill them with water with room enough to sea and throw them in the freezer. If you lose power, you will have thick, large bags of ice to help keep food cold. If you don't end up losing power, you saved yourself $$ from not having to buy bags of ice.

I like this thread...very imformative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay