Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,985 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Spring Hill in a couple of months. I am retired and my wife received a job offer in Spring Hill. We are looking for the best places to live in and around Spring Hill and where should we avoid. We are looking for a home in a quiet neighborhood where the houses are not stacked on top of each other on maybe a half acre lot. A pool home in the $150k range. Where is the best area to buy one. Also need a place where I can park a boat in the back yard. I want a quiet, clean crime free area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
The gated communities are typically the safest in Spring Hill, but I doubt any would allow you to park a boat in the backyard. There are no crime-free areas in Spring Hill. I am assuming you meant areas with LESS crime, so that's what I'll go on.

Where to avoid:

Stay away from anything on the south end of US 19 west of Deltona Blvd. (I used to live there and believe me, you DON'T want to be there!)

Where it's OK:

Most of the gated communities are OK. The area around Coronado is OK and the lots are pretty big. Generally, if you stay east of Mariner Blvd. and closer to the Suncoast Parkway, you'll probably be OK.

Be aware that Spring Hill is known for having issues with sinkholes. Homes there either have been repaired from sinkhole damage, have been found to have a sinkhole and did not get repaired, or probably have a sinkhole that hasn't been discovered yet. Definitely check into the house you'll be purchasing to see which category it falls under.

The good news is, for $150K you will pretty much be able to move into a really nice pool home as housing in Spring Hill is super cheap right now.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I would look up just north of Cortez Blvd in the lower part of Royal Highlands, while not technically in Spring Hill you will be just as close to most major shopping just down Cortez, the lots are all minimum 1/2 acre, you can definitely park a boat in your backyard, crime is not bad at all, it is quiet and would definitely be in your price range.

Where is your wife's job offer or just a general location so you can get some better suggestions? SE Spring Hill, NW Spring Hill, off U.S. 19, S.R.50, County Line Rd

Hernando County does have a high incidence of sinkholes but not even close to every house has or gets one, though some will lead you to believe that. There were all over the news lately but that was because we got about 18 inches of rain in a 24 hour period which caused many problems.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
The Plantation Estates area is nice. The houses seem to be pretty consistant in there. There are a lot of neighborhoods in Spring Hill where there is a real nice house surrounded by a lot of dumpy ones. East Linden Estates is also a pretty nice area. Dont get fooled by the word "Estates". Theres a lot of places down there that are called estates but there pretty much just regular houses.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
The Plantation Estates area is nice. The houses seem to be pretty consistant in there. There are a lot of neighborhoods in Spring Hill where there is a real nice house surrounded by a lot of dumpy ones. East Linden Estates is also a pretty nice area. Dont get fooled by the word "Estates". Theres a lot of places down there that are called estates but there pretty much just regular houses.
Plantation Estates is beautiful! We owned a home there years ago and LOVED the neighborhood. Nice big lots, friendly neighbors, and lovely homes. If their deed restrictions are still the same, I doubt the OP could store a boat in the backyard, though.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 AM

Yes, the boat may be an issue in many of the areas like Plantation Estates and East Linden as well as finding a pool home in the $150K range that does not need work. The homes in Plantation with pools that are move in ready are in the $230K range and up. In East Linden there might be some in the $150K range but you are looking at late 80's early 90's build so a bit higher on the insurance.

That is another note to the OP, look for homes built in 2004-2012 to save on insurance.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,985 times
Great information! We do like the area above Cortez especially since my wife's job will be just off of Hwy 19 about a mile or so north of Cortez. I did notice most of the roads in that area are dirt roads. I am a very neat person that hates a dirty car or motorcycle so I will have to look in that area for a house on a paved road for sure. As far as the areas in the south east section of Spring Hill in or around that is really nice but I have an enclosed trailer as well as purchasing a boat so I don't think I would be allowed in that area even though by looking at google maps I maintain my yard better than some of them in that area. Please keep the information coming all is appreciated!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM

A good part of the lower Royal Highlands is paved, when you go north of Hexam they tend to be more unpaved but they have a whole bunch on the list to be paved.
A mile north of Cortez is the church, if she will be at the new school you are about 5 miles north, just north of Hexam. If you go 2 miles north of Cortez you will see Amber Automotive on the left, take that left and then make the 3rd right. I believe there is a house on the one paved road in this neighborhood that may be for sale. I only mention this because most of the lots there are at least 1 acre and most are 1.8 acres. This is a small subdivision called Evans Lakeside Heights, a few older homes but some nice new ones and you are a stones throw from the preserve.
No, I don't know who owns it, it was a foreclosure but I did view it and it was really nice inside. Not sure if still available but worth a look.

I typed all this and decided to check, no longer available. Sorry

Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
We just moved here too, about two weeks ago. For the time being, we rented a place in The Heather, which seems nice. Mother in law works at Glen Lakes, and that seems like a VERY nice neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 AM

Unless you like extremely restrictive HOA covenants I would avoid Glen Lakes. The fees are outrageous also.
When I was moving up here I bought a lot in there and 3.6 acres just a block south of their southern fence. After a couple months of reviewing everything and paying too many fees just for a vacant lot we decided to build on the acreage and sell the lot.
Did you rent one of the Heather condos overlooking the golf course? The course is not too challenging but it is a good course to walk for the exercise since it is not too crowded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay